Subject: Glorious mud rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did wonder whether to represent mud when using the brown side od the board and playing autumn scenarios like Paschendale that normal Inf movement should be limited to 1 hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is a bit of a mystery why there is a double sided board, and aside from aesthetics, the green or brown seems to make no difference.

I prefer the look of the brown side, but it would be interesting if there was a 'mud' hex vs a 'dry' hex. Particularly in relation to tank bogging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the Somme was (initially) fought over green fields and under blue skies.

I understand why the scenario layouts use the green board as it makes placing terrain easier but I always play using the brown side. Early war sceanrios with Germans wearing picklehaubers would look good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
I understand why the scenario layouts use the green board as it makes placing terrain easier but I always play using the brown side.

Absolutely. The desolation of brown-on-brown-on-brown really summons the miserable ambiance of WWI. You can almost smell the trenches. Playing on the green side of the board wouldn't give no-mans-land the necessary bleakness, to me. It's a miniatures game -- why go half way?

Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
Early war sceanrios with Germans wearing picklehaubers would look good!

Everything looks better in a picklehaub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
it is a bit of a mystery why there is a double sided board, and aside from aesthetics, the green or brown seems to make no difference.

I prefer the look of the brown side, but it would be interesting if there was a 'mud' hex vs a 'dry' hex. Particularly in relation to tank bogging.

Aside from the nice trench tiles I place TGW board and tile art a step above Samurai Battles... When I get the energy to start building the maps for printing I am going to change the art to something more period (of my perception).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always look forward to your work.

My only real beef with the terrain tiles are the hills.

Just don't do it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree...the hills are horrible and hard to differentiate from the large crater...both look like zombie eye balls to me goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny to read people's views... I find the mud side way too orangey and unrealistic, more like a sci-fi board than the colour of the mud in Belgium and Northern France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been watching an excellent 3-part TV series on the Somme - Both sides of the Wire, looking at the story from the German point of view.

The presenter quoted an Australian who summed up the terrain as "Miles and miles of sh*t-coloured f*ck all"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:

The presenter quoted an Australian who summed up the terrain as "Miles and miles of sh*t-coloured f*ck all"!

ahh, the colourful descriptiveness of the Australian vernacular.

also repels Iranian gunboats
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-463690/F--mate-How-A...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.