10 Posts

The Butterfly Garden» Forums » Rules

Subject: Butterfly cards that have instant VP's and hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Looby Lou
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For the butterfly cards that don't have butterflies to add to the jar but just give you special ability victory points- they go straight into the garden..

So what happens to the hand size of 3 when I'm left with 2? There's no mention of it in the rules.

Please help, cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They go into your hand first. They only go into the garden after you've played one to bid for turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric is correct. We were confused about this during our first play as well.

On one turn you play some card to determine turn order. When it is your turn, you pick up the VP card from the field and put it into your hand. The card you played is then put in your jar as normal.

Some later turn you play the VP card at the beginning of the turn to determine turn order. When it is your turn, you pick a new card from the field as normal. Then, rather than place the VP card in your jar, you place it in your garden (VP) area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
erjones wrote:
They go into your hand first. They only go into the garden after you've played one to bid for turn order.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loobylou wrote:
For the butterfly cards that don't have butterflies to add to the jar but just give you special ability victory points- they go straight into the garden..

The rules do say this on page 6 for cards with the Garden symbol (a quote with my highlight),

Deliver this butterfly card directly to the garden (see Step iv) and score the VPs shown. This card may not go to the jar.

But all four special action symbols are still controlled by the section heading just above that,

Step ii: Perform a Special Action
If the butterfly card
played from a player’s hand during Phase 1 has a special action icon in the upper right corner, the player may perform the action indicated by the icon.

and the part I have highlighted is even emphasized by different typeface to make it stand out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Loobylou wrote:

The rules do say this on page 6 for cards with the Garden symbol (a quote with my highlight),

Deliver this butterfly card directly to the garden (see Step iv) and score the VPs shown. This card may not go to the jar.

But all four special action symbols are still controlled by the section heading just above that,

Step ii: Perform a Special Action
If the butterfly card
played from a player’s hand during Phase 1 has a special action icon in the upper right corner, the player may perform the action indicated by the icon.

and the part I have highlighted is even emphasized by different typeface to make it stand out.

To put it another way "immediate delivery" is a special power. All special powers are activated during the player's turn in which s/he plays a special action card.

No special actions are activated upon receiving a card, but only when played and at the time specified. "Immediate" refers to the fact that it is not delivered to the jar and done immediately after the power is activated.

Perhaps the rule was poorly worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drfinn wrote:

To put it another way "immediate delivery" is a special power. All special powers are activated during the player's turn in which s/he plays a special action card.

No special actions are activated upon receiving a card, but only when played and at the time specified. "Immediate" refers to the fact that it is not delivered to the jar and done immediately after the power is activated.

I wonder how much the card design effects the way people think about it. Was there ever a point where the Immediate Delivery cards were templated as a special power? Instead of the very different look that they shipped with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Temeraire wrote:
drfinn wrote:

I wonder how much the card design effects the way people think about it. Was there ever a point where the Immediate Delivery cards were templated as a special power? Instead of the very different look that they shipped with?

Yes, they were, and it often led to a long discussion with advocates on both sides. Needless to say, I decided on the design that made the card look more like a garden card, so that it would look better when tucked under the other garden cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth we did have a small question about how it was played as well. But through process of elimination (it couldn't go that way, it doesn't make sense if we do it this way) we figured it out in a couple of minutes. Once you play those cards as they are intended to be played it's hard ti imagine them being played any other way.

The game is truly a huge hit with my gamer friends and non-gamer family/friends. Moreso than I had hoped it would be. There's enough strategy to keep the gamers happy and the strategy is accessible enough that the non-gamers have winning chances too. It's surprisingly back-stabby at times just by default of the mechanics. Which any good game should be IMO.

I'll write a review with pictures soon. We have yet to use the special action cards. They look like they could be a lot of fun, but until we use them it's difficult to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
For what it's worth we did have a small question about how it was played as well. But through process of elimination (it couldn't go that way, it doesn't make sense if we do it this way) we figured it out in a couple of minutes. Once you play those cards as they are intended to be played it's hard ti imagine them being played any other way.

The game is truly a huge hit with my gamer friends and non-gamer family/friends. Moreso than I had hoped it would be. There's enough strategy to keep the gamers happy and the strategy is accessible enough that the non-gamers have winning chances too. It's surprisingly back-stabby at times just by default of the mechanics. Which any good game should be IMO.

I'll write a review with pictures soon. We have yet to use the special action cards. They look like they could be a lot of fun, but until we use them it's difficult to say.

I'm glad you like it. Thanks for backing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.