Subject: Narrower 'Titles Only' Option for Searches rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a "Titles Only" search that only returned one hit per thread (the first post) would be a very useful addition. If you're simply looking for a list of threads on a subject, it's a pain to wade through 10 pages of hits for each matching thread that went 10 pages.

"Titles Only, One Hit Per Thread" is unwieldy but conveys the concept. A more concise title would be great, but if the functionality were there I wouldn't care what it was called. (Another problem I see with that name is that 'thread' seems to imply forum searches, while I'd like to have the same option for GeekList searches as well.)

Hopefull this would be easy to implement, perhaps by simply adding a one-per-thread-id filter to the existing Titles Only search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand what you're saying, I think you can do a "-re" in the search so you don't get the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
If I understand what you're saying, I think you can do a "-re" in the search so you don't get the replies.

Thank you - that does seem to accomplish what I was looking for. Is there a reference for that somewhere in the wiki?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know - I just remember it from similar threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It would still be useful if there was a checkbox for "show thread once."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
It would still be useful if there was a checkbox for "show thread once."
Or "ignore replies." Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Thank you - that does seem to accomplish what I was looking for. Is there a reference for that somewhere in the wiki?

I've always just thought that use of the minus sign was a general search engine feature. (I learned it long ago, even pre-BGG, but hardly ever remember to use it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.