Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dark Souls lore explained for board gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

EDIT: Edited all lore posts with the appropriate picture of the character(s) I'm covering. Hopefully it will make it easier to find a specific post as I add them.

Hi guys, as a video game enthusiast and casual board game interest I can understand that there might be folks in the opposite position, who play board games enthusiastically and with an interest in Dark Souls the board game but might not understand what the game is about (other than it's hard). I have also seen many people ask general questions about Dark Souls since the kickstarters emergence from the board gaming community, and I hope that this thread might shed some light on what's what for those people that might still be wondering.

So I thought I would share with everyone a few videos from some choice youtube channels I follow which help paint out the picture that is the lore of Dark Souls. This in turn is also a good opportunity to help expose some good content creators which I think have great editing and story telling skills.

I also want to make this thread because it's a lore worth telling. Dark Souls on the surface might seem like a simple adventure game if your exposure to it is limited to pop culture references, however you would be mistaken if you think it wasn't deep and complex.

Not wanting to overwhelm people with the vast amounts of lore and meaning that the series has to it's name however, I will keep it limited to what's coming in the board game. Or specifically for now one the two bigger expansions for the kickstarter, Darkroot Basin.

Starting with Darkroot Basin as you have probably heard all the hype for Artorias and even more likely, Sif the great grey wolf. The legend of Artorias is simple to tell and it also conveniently covers retail exclusive mega-boss Manus, Father of the Abyss. This video covers that legend both the fiction created in the game, and what really happened in the game.

https://youtu.be/tAeCwNgHR0k

Now on to Sif, the trusty companion of Artorias. Who followed him down into the Abyss and was the only witness to his masters corruption. This next Video has a bit of repeat but mostly covers the relationship of Artorias and Sif, along with Sif's relationship to the player character and explains better than I could why Sif is such a fan favorite boss for most Dark Souls players.

One thing I should mention first however which these videos don't cover, is that in the game the events that the player challenges can be done so in any order. So following on from the last video when you fight Manus yourself, it's important to remember that the context is you are taken from the future when this happens (by Manus himself ironically). when you fight Manus it is possible to summon Sif to aid you in the fight, and when you face Sif yourself it is done so in present time. This is relevant because if you choose to go back in time first and meet Sif and Artorias first, or instead face Sif first you get very different reactions when you encounter the great wolf.

Anyway enough talking here is the video.

https://youtu.be/6d82kJlb5Us

That's that. If this thread proves popular with the people here I might cover the Iron Keep expansion next which also covers the Iron King mega-boss and executioners chariot retailer exclusive mega-boss.

Alternatively if you don't care about video game nonsense, just tell me to go away and I will do so whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope folks get to play the video game before playing the board game, and do so without watching or reading anything, as the discovery is what makes the Dark Souls series great, and a few spoilers can really ruin it all :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razoupaf wrote:
I hope folks get to play the video game before playing the board game, and do so without watching or reading anything, as the discovery is what makes the Dark Souls series great, and a few spoilers can really ruin it all :/

I agree that would be best to experience it first hand, but I'm considering that other threads have hinted that not everyone wants to play video games here and considering that the game is now 5 years old as well. Also it's more than likely that it's only going to be fans of the Dark Souls series video game or board game enthusiasts (whom this thread is aimed at) that actually buy this game.

I will avoid talking about Dark Souls 3 as well for this reason though anyway, so don't worry for anyone still going through that game (So I won't be covering Vordt or the Dancer).

All that said I would love feedback on whether this thread is appropriate or helpful from someone who is primarily a board gamer. Don't let me speak for you guys, ruining this series is literally the opposite thing I want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated -- will be watching this to get in the mood, when the game gets close to getting in our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exo Desta wrote:
Much appreciated -- will be watching this to get in the mood, when the game gets close to getting in our hands.

There is more to come mate I have only scratched the surface so far with only one expansion, but I am happy to hear that there is interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
I agree that would be best to experience it first hand, but I'm considering that other threads have hinted that not everyone wants to play video games here and considering that the game is now 5 years old as well. Also it's more than likely that it's only going to be fans of the Dark Souls series video game or board game enthusiasts (whom this thread is aimed at) that actually buy this game.

I don't play video games and will definitely not be playing dark souls if I do decide to up my $1 pledge. Ultimately, I don't care too much for the story behind the game. I'm watching to see if the board game is interesting and worth buying into. I played Gears of War the board game and although I ended up trading it, I recognize that it is a good board game despite not caring for the IP. That's what I'm looking for here: a great board game. It's also one of the reasons the KS campaign was so frustrating to someone like me, there was very little focus on the game mostly just the IP. As a fan of dungeon crawlers though, I'm interested. I like the boss fight and the idea of a random dungeon, nothing else really grabs my attention yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

THIS POST CONTAINS POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING OF DARK SOULS 1!!!

So yesterday I might have said that I would talk about the Iron Keep expansion next. After giving it a bit of thought however I figured there was a character in this game with far more importance for giving context to events we will eventually talk about, including the Iron Keep, so today I want to talk about this person. This person is of course the player character, who is he or she? What are their motivations for trudging through these terrible lands.

Let's start from the beginning, literally the very first cut scene from the first game lays out the path ahead perfectly and get some backstory on this world.

https://youtu.be/ylFzJ3wRgHw

So then in DS1 we are undead in a land ruled by these gods who slew the ancient immortal dragons, but cursed by this brand called the darksign. Our undead curse is at a glance caused because the first flame that granted the gods their lord souls is now fading, and will soon extinguish to unknown consequences. Makes sense so far as you can't light a fire that lasts indefinitely after all.

But this raises a few questions doesn't it? How is this curse linked to the flame to begin with, and more importantly what can we do about it? All good question which might get answered another day. Before that though we should ask ourselves what is it like living as undead? Imagine the reaction of people when the recently deceased started coming back to life. How would you react if someone you knew passed on and came back just as fast? Or how would you react if you came back to life endlessly but others around you cannot? Can this darksign be cured? (Dark Souls 2 provides an interesting solution) Just so that it written down here it should be noted that everytime you kill these undead they come back to life fully whole once more, no matter how violent you are.

The church known as "the way of the white" came up with one solution to the undead problem. They hunted down anyone who showed signs of the darksign, and locked them away in a grand prison known as the undead asylum. A place guarded by terrible demons (including the mega-boss Asylum Demon) on a plateau surrounded by endless mountain tops, where nothing could ever be able to escape, despite apparent immortality. This was also the fate of our character.

Now the Asylum Demon despite being a Mega-boss is pretty inconsequential to the lore but I'll quickly note what it is here. Demon's are born from the Bed of Chaos, which was accidentally created by the witch of Izalith, one of the original lords who got a lord soul from the first flame. It was made when she attempted to mix her lord soul with her fire magics (the precursor to pyromancy) to create a brand new first flame. It failed and now we have demon's is the short version, and this particular demon is just chilling out at the Undead Asylum batting around any undead trying to get out, along with his much stronger brother the Stray Demon.

It's important to note that these aren't you're typical run of the mill zombies however, they retain humanity for the most part and humanity is possibly the most important thing in this fading world when all is said and done.

Now we have some context for the world we are living in, let's move on to the player and the goals, this next video contains a lot of content that was cut from the final release of the game and has mild spoilers for the ending. However it covers a lot of the areas that are relevant to this subject.

https://youtu.be/5RkLstvjmUk

So in this video we have learned of a prophecy, he who would escape from the asylum and make it to the land of the ancient lords and ring the bell of awakening shall know the fate of the undead. We also see a hint in that video that at the end of the first game you are faced with a choice, I shall briefly acknowledge this here. This choice is important to the overarching plot and our characters motivations which this post is centered around, however in the interest of avoiding too many spoilers and focusing on too many aspects, I won't ruin it here and instead focus on the most important part.

And that part is also something else the video brought up. The undead needing purpose, yep having a purpose is very important if you are undead, and is the very reason I decided to post this bit of lore today instead of another one. Because if you lose your purpose you become Hollow. Hollowing is a process in which undead lose their humanity and become mindless husks and lose all sense of who they were, they attack anything they see even former friends or family. An undead who has gone hollow can never return.

So we the player make it our purpose to ring the bell of awakening based on this prophesy we learned while locked away in the asylum. And this prophesy in turn gives us a new purpose when we have fulfilled it. The story is told to us by Kingseeker Frampt, and in a nutshell he tells us that we are chosen and it is our duty to succeed the ancient Lords and rekindle the first flame. Just to mention it, the full lore behind the gods and the first flame that wasn't revealed in the opening cutscene above is a whole other story.

So really we have two reasons to do everything we are doing, the first is the reason we have that was told to us by Frampt. And the second (which is our primary motivation for completing the first), is to keep our purpose and not go hollow. It is to keep a purpose for as long as we are able to. Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 have different overarching stories however the motivations are more or less the same.

So when you play Dark Souls the board game, don't forget to give yourself a purpose. Just make something up if you need to, because you don't want to run out of "sparks" and go hollow.

I hope this post makes sense, I figured it would be helpful to talk about our characters and have a point of reference before I continued into other territory. Let me know if you're enjoying the story btw or just discuss lore in general, just so that this thread isn't just me talking to myself. I could end up losing my purpose and go hollow here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logus Vile wrote:
vincentdante wrote:

I don't play video games and will definitely not be playing dark souls if I do decide to up my $1 pledge. Ultimately, I don't care too much for the story behind the game. I'm watching to see if the board game is interesting and worth buying into. I played Gears of War the board game and although I ended up trading it, I recognize that it is a good board game despite not caring for the IP. That's what I'm looking for here: a great board game. It's also one of the reasons the KS campaign was so frustrating to someone like me, there was very little focus on the game mostly just the IP. As a fan of dungeon crawlers though, I'm interested. I like the boss fight and the idea of a random dungeon, nothing else really grabs my attention yet.

It's ironic I see this after writing an essay about finding purpose in your character, anyway I hope you are able to find something in the game you enjoy. I think this game was supposed to be aimed towards fans of the IP as you suggested but we shall see. The only thing I can offer is my lore talk unfortunately, I know as much about the finished game as you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
Let me know if you're enjoying the story btw or just discuss lore in general, just so that this thread isn't just me talking to myself. I could end up losing my purpose and go hollow here

I will eat this stuff up -- but just not right now. I'm weird like that, but I try not to pry into my KS games before they arrive, and I think I'll save this thread for then, too.

But I'll definitely come find this before I crack my copy open. Because right now, all those bosses are just names to me. I'd love a bit of backstory before fighting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong. I think this thread is very useful and worthy of a good read. Just not for me specifically. I'll read the little fluff blurbs on cards or in rulebooks but if there is a page of story, I tend to skip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Centuries, literal centuries after Dark Souls you might find that things change. Old landmarks corrode and start to look unrecognizable, old kingdoms fall and are replaced by conquerors, old legendary heroes and even gods are all but forgotten to history as new stories get told.

One of these new kingdoms is built on the land of Venn, in the board game we know it as the Old Iron Keep. Ruled by the kickstarters mega-boss Old Iron King, with his loyal knight and close friend Sir Alonne from the core game expansion, home also to the expansions boss the Smelter Demon and retail exclusive mega-boss the Executioner's Chariot.

When talking about a king, you have to talk about his kingdom right? The old Iron King coveted the land of Venn, a land not exactly rich or had anything redeeming to it's name. Regardless of these details he built his army and went to war with every resource available to him. And with the aid of a stranger from an eastern kingdom, who would later become the kings best friend and most trusted knight Sir Alonne.

As you can predict he won his prize, but not without suffering heavy losses. He found that these lands were barren of resources except for one thing, an overabundance of Iron could be found here and the Scorching Iron scepter, which gave him mastery over the Iron. So he built his Kingdom on iron, literally, the castle, the throne just about everything was built from Iron. Even iron golems brought to life by the combination of Pyromancer Eygil's living flame and his Scorching Iron Scepter.

Pyromancer Eygil is one of the King's loyal aids, a powerful pyromancer who won the Iron King's favor and is researching ways to give fire a will of it's own.

Shortly after winning these lands something far more pressing occurred in his kingdom, and all around the world for that matter. A curse had taken hold on the land as people started rising from their graves, unable to die. What we can imagine from our last story is the first flame has once again began to fade, however we must also remember that centuries have come and gone since the events of Dark Souls 1 and some details may be foggy in the minds of the current societies of the more modern world. Many kingdoms took to dealing with the undead in many different ways, but we are talking about The Iron Keep here.

The Old Iron King with his vast resources of Iron and living flames had the undead chained up in a circular dungeon he called the undead purgatory. Then he built a new Golem construct, a beast that rode around the purgatory with iron horses on an iron chariot, a beast who's only job was endlessly slaughtering the undead victims over and over again. This Golem was called the Executioner's Chariot. Nothing else can be said of this depravity, a theme that we start seeing more and more of in the Old Iron King.

Now that we know what the executioner's chariot is, I will let this video continue the rest of the lore.

https://youtu.be/68tDgMWcB-I

One correction I must make to this video, The Iron King did not kill Sir Alonne, we did.

When the Iron King fell into the lava his body was taken by "he who must not be named" (no not Hastur, oops). This entity tranformed the Iron Kings body into the demonic shaped hellspawn we see on the kickstarter page. And that is how the Iron Keep was born, and died.

This one was easier to talk about as the video I linked covered most of the lore here already. I had to talk about the executioner's chariot however which is why I took a while to get into it today. Now that I have covered both of the "big expansions," does anyone have any requests for the next bit of lore they want to hear about from the kickstarter figures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

The Four kings were chosen by Gwyn to rule over humans in New Londo, for their services Gwyn gifted them a piece of his very own Lord Soul, something very precious and powerful. And so they ruled for a time during the golden age of fire, however it wasn't meant to last.

When the first flame began to fade and the undead began to rise panic surely took over New Londo just like the other kingdoms. The Four Kings beseech Gwyn for help but their pleas fell on deaf ears (Gwyn had bigger problems) and they were starting to grow desperate.

Darkstalker Kaath one of the primordial serpents tempted the four kings to betray Gwyn in exchange for even greater power, he offered to teach them the forbidden art of lifedrain. Lifedrain is the power to suck the very humanity out of people and undead alike, instant hollowing for undead and instant power spike for the four kings what a great solution. The four kings passed this art onto their elite gaurds, whom were now named the Darkwraiths.

The Darkwraiths were a serious force to be feared, they traveled to towns and other lands stealing the very humanity from folks, overpowering the best warriors and even proving to be equal in strength to Gwyns very own Silver knights (Silver Knights are in the core game from the kickstarter you will notice).

To add to these problems the forceful taking of humanity in New Londo was also calling forth the Abyss, the maleficent energy from Artorias's Legend I went over in the OP. Artorias one of the four greatest knights of Gwyn himself. Of course we know the Abyss claimed a legendary warrior like Artorias, and Gwyn would not risk sending one of the other three valiant warriors at his command to meet the same fate.

So enter healer Ingward and his friends, who had the only solution to this problem.

https://youtu.be/exzFsi0-DFo

As for the Four Kings themselves? They wait, deep in the abyss, the flooding of New Londo was only effective at stopping the spread of the Abyss and killing any mortal remaining in the city. The four kings still live on, with their part of Gwyn's Lord Soul still in their possession. Oh and the Darkwraiths too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

These two are tricky ones to discuss as there are precious few videos that cover these bosses specifically without going into off topic territory into other bits of lore (for the record the lore of Dark Souls so easily flows into so many areas of story and discussion, it is not linear narrative). So please bare with me today as it would be better if I write it all down myself instead.

We start this lore piece with the prosperous kingdom of Drangleic, the main area of Dark Souls 2. And central to this story is king Vendrick, his Queen Nashandra and the kings older brother Aldia.

It begins when king Vendrick first met Nashandra actually. She came to the kingdom of Drangleic as an outsider, and with a dangerous agenda. For she met with the king with a warning, she fortold to the king that giants from a distant land would soon invade his kingdom and bring absolute ruin to the land. Vendrick who's desire was only to protect his land and his people took the warning to heart.

The king decided the best course of action was a pre-emptive attack against the giants. He sent his army across the seas and claimed victory. The giants were defeated and he stole the Giant's kinship, a mystical item of importance to say the least (I don't want to talk about the item itself as it's important to the main story).

So the king returned victorious and safe in the knowledge that he saved his kingdom. He fell in love with and married the dark woman who seemingly helped him protect his land. And there was peace for a time. Until one day when the undead curse came to his land. The curse took on quickly, even the king himself became an undead.

The king called for his older brother Aldia, a great and knowledgeable scholar to research this curse and seek a cure. So Aldia got to work researching the curse, with little progress being made much to his and the kings dismay. He started using increasingly taboo experiments on undead, torturing them, mutilating them and creating horrific abominations to see how far it goes. Even king Vendrick eventually got appalled by these experiments, but still needing him to research the curse he condemned his brother to his manor, not allowed to leave.

Soon after Aldia had an idea, he started to experiment on old Dragon fossils left over from the ancient age of darkness. Remember from before I mentioned Dark Souls 2 takes place centuries after the first, the old gods are all but forgotten, and the only evidence remaining are ruins and fossils with few legends from those days surviving. Anyway Aldia knowing the legends about the immortal dragons started to wonder if he could replicate their immortality, as a counter measure against the undead curse.

He had from his brother giants taken prisoners during the war. So his first plan was to see if he could resurrect these fossils using the souls of the giants he had at his disposal. To varying success and a lot of surprise, some of the fossils started reanimating during his experiments. Then he moved on to other techniques such as cloning and infusing. All in attempt to recreate the ancient dragons. He released many of the dragons which built an aerie near his manor. One of these Dragons decided to guard the only way into the dragon aerie from any human who would come too close. This was the Guardian Dragon, and that is his story.

Soon after came the giants, absolutely livid with king Vendrick for his unprovoked invasion into their lands. They came with the intention of revenge, they quickly overpowered the forces of Drangleic and took back their kinship. They didn't leave however, they were determined to bring the kingdom to ruins, which they did. For it turned out the queens prophecy came true, which was all planned by her from the very beginning for reasons that go into another area of lore.

An unnamed hero soon appeared and vanquished the giants. But it was too late, the kingdom was destroyed and the king fled into hiding, and as he lost his purpose as a king, he hollowed. One giant survived the hero's wrath, he was the last giant. This giant survived by himself for many years, with a powerful soul and his hatred for the king sustaining his rageful attacks for so long. Preparing finally for death in his long solitude, which he gets at long last by our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Oh boy these guys, let's lighten the mood today from all these dark depressing stories and talk about Ornstein and Smough. Unlike the last post these two have tons of Video's covering their lore in great detail. So I won't need to type out so much today, here's a good one.

https://youtu.be/my-yq5xf8YY

That actually covers everything as well. These two are infamous for being ridiculously difficult in the game. The hardest boss in Dark Souls 1 and a strong contender for hardest boss in the whole series.

To summarize the video, Ornstein was one of Gwyn's four most trusted and powerful knights, just as his comrade Artorias. Ornsteins spear was so mighty, he was able to hunt and kill many of the Immortal Dragons during the age of Darkness. Smough was an executioner who's power would have considered him a 5th great knight had he not been generally creepy about his work, oh and ate his victims. When Gwyn left the city of the gods known as Anor Londo with his Silver Knights, he put them in charge of guarding his children, Gwynevere (who was an illusion, because she fled Anor Londo along with the other gods) and Gwyndolin.

There isn't a deep emotional story for these guys, they're just a**holes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I think this thread is very useful and worthy of a good read. Just not for me specifically. I'll read the little fluff blurbs on cards or in rulebooks but if there is a page of story, I tend to skip it.

I skip those too - I'm only in a game for the mechanics - which is my worry with Dark Souls, and why I pulled my $185 pledge down to $1.

It may go back up, but I'm unconvinced to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

The most mysterious boss in Dark Souls 2 so not a lot is known about him, the pursuer relentlessly hunts you though out the game, coming back when you cut him down or finding you at older roads walked. Determined to stop you from your goals, but why?

A honorable knight from an unknown kingdom. A kingdom that has long since succumbed to the curse of the undead. Put yourself in the mind of a citizen living in this world, you are religious as all from these time periods are. You respect or fear your king/queen and the royal knights. And whatever the church say's is gospel. So when the chuch say's that undead are a plague upon the land and should be eliminated, you naturally agree whether out of fear or your own religious beliefs.

Imagine then what would happen if one of the great knights became undead, what an abhorrent sin that would be. In the past we saw that the church would send clerics on an ill fated "pilgrimage" should they become undead. For if you are a cleric you do not sin so you must chosen for another purpose.

But the poor knight must atone for his sins some other way. So he get's tasked with hunting and eliminating all undead in order to cleanse himself. That becomes his purpose as an undead, to pursue and eliminate all other undead. Only then will he be free of sin.

Unfortunately this next video has some audio problems, headphones or turning up the volume is advised. Just don't forget to turn it down again.
https://youtu.be/m6l6tt134oA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonus post!

It's not just the bosses that have interesting lore in Dark Souls. Even the NPCs have a reason for being there, a reason to do what they are doing. I wanted to give an example of one today. I doubt I will cover all of them as there are a lot to cover in this board game alone. But after picking an NPC at random I decided to cover the story of Kirk Knight of Thorns. One of the invaders, but is he such a bad guy? I'll let you decide on that, as for myself I cri everytiem.

To understand Kirk we will have to delve into another part of lore, the Witch of Izalith and her daughters. This video covers all of them and talks about kirk as well near the end, so this was lucky for me as everything falls into place neatly.
https://youtu.be/eRbZVx6SuOE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
Would have really liked a Queelag mini, she's rad Kirk is cool too, all very tragic. The whole Fair lady story is probably my favourite part.
I admit I'm skipping most of these posts because I've recently been spending hours reading every item description and watching countless YT videos anyway, but the lore for these games is so very cool that I hope some others are paying attention!
I'm looking forward to using the Havel armour set in-game and pretending it's The Rock himself Same for anyone who looks like an NPC! Anyway, just a general good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PepsiTwist wrote:
Would have really liked a Queelag mini, she's rad Kirk is cool too, all very tragic. The whole Fair lady story is probably my favourite part.
I admit I'm skipping most of these posts because I've recently been spending hours reading every item description and watching countless YT videos anyway, but the lore for these games is so very cool that I hope some others are paying attention!
I'm looking forward to using the Havel armour set in-game and pretending it's The Rock himself Same for anyone who looks like an NPC! Anyway, just a general good work.

Thanks man, yeah it's a great lore so it's nice to see people take interest regardless of what source you're using. There was an old joke in the community that Dark Souls was the greatest story that no one knows.

Yeah Queelag would have made a cool boss and in my opinion would have been a far better choice than either The Asylum Demon, The Gaping Dragon, The Pursuer or Vordt actually. But alas I don't get to pick, and this thread is just to tell the lore and not my own personal wishlist (Painted world of Ariamis themed expansion next though Steamforged ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Disclaimer: Kalameet is the Mega-boss I am most likely going to buy in the pledge manager after the Darkroot Basin and extra tiles. So I might have a bias to how totally badass he is.

In my second lore post when I spoke about the undead, I linked the opening cutscene for Dark Souls 1. Just to remind you about what was mentioned. the world was covered in darkness, ruled by the everlasting dragons until the first flame came to be, and in that flame was found the souls of lords.

Those lord souls went to Gwyn, the lord of sunlight and his silver knights, the Witch of Izalith and her daughters and Gravelord Nito the first of the dead. The gods along with the traitor Seath the Scaleless waged war and eliminated all of the everlasting Dragons. All but one that is, Kalameet the last of the everlasting Dragons (besides Seath I guess).

How did Kalameet survive a genocidal war waged by gods? Was he just lucky and they somehow overlooked him? Did he go into hiding where he could not be found? The answer is no to all of those things, the real truth is that the lords of Anor Londo feared Kalameet. The truth that the gods are ashamed to admit is that Kalameet was too much for them. Black dragons were the strongest breed, and Kalameet was the best of them.

Forgive me for one paragraph as I frame Kalameet in the actual Video Game. Because fact is in the game Kalameet is pretty much nearly impossible to beat unless you can manage to cripple him before the battle. Though the key words are "nearly impossible", a few people have managed to do it and to those few people they are actually rewarded with some fun dialogue from the game praising their skill.

And now as Kalameet fell to our dirty tactics the true everlasting dragons are extinct. Although they did leave behind some legacy, buried deep beneath the world a few eggs still remained. Some eggs hatched into new dragons, although they are not quite like the old everlasting dragons from the past, and they were too few to be able to repopulate.

From one of those eggs the gaping dragon was born. The gaping Dragon wasn't always as disfigured as the model would have you believe, but he was soon corrupted. Born into an era when humans walked the world this new dragon climbed out of the earth into an area known as blight town in the land of Lordran. A festering swamp with toxic waters and it's inhabitants horribly disfigured. It was here from this polluted no mans land that he became disfigured. Eventually he made his way to the depths of the undead burg to hunt, this is where we meet and kill him.

I should give you a heads up here, the author of this next video enjoys talking about game mechanics along with lore and theories. I saved this for the end because while the video does mostly talk about Kalameet, it also talks about the Dragons in general including a whole bunch that aren't in this board game including the stone dragon and undead dragon. It also proposes a lot of theories that don't matter to this topic.

https://youtu.be/D6DDrwH0OvU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Hmm as a Souls fan looking at the above pictures, I have the feeling Steamforged got their mega-boss and standard boss round the wrong way here. shake

So with how recent Dark Souls 3 is I was hesitant to talk about these bosses, but I decided to finish what I started and put the lore in a large spoiler tag. Also note that due to the recentness of the latest game there is the possibility that new things will get discovered which disproves certain elements, I can only talk about my own theories/observations and what is currently known in the lore so this story might be a little sloppy as all the details are not yet known. Also note that there are no video explanations available this time for the same reason. So it's just me typing again today.

Anyway here we go.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Gwynevere, the first daughter of Gwyn was the goddess of fertility. She left Anor Londo as the first flame faded and married a strong ruler and sired many children, many sons and daughters who were raised to be fine warriors for the purpose to help keep the first flame kindled.

Far away from all that however, in the ruined city of lords that was Anor Londo, some heroic handsome undead stopped the greifing of Ornstein and Smough, and for a time new players knew peace as they celebrated with whom they thought was Gwynevere, but she was just an illusion, created to keep Anor Londo looking like the perfect city of lords as it once did, instead of the dark stark reality that players would witness if they broke the illusion. All created by her brother Gwyndoline.

Millennia pass and the cycle of the first flame has been linked too many times to count now, before in the earlier games there were still powerful souls that could have been used as kindling. However the fuel is starting to run out. Now mere cinders are all that's left to fuel the first flame.

The undead curse is no longer frowned upon as they are recognized as heroes who link the flame. And the old lords of cinder, heroes who had once undertaken harsh trials to previously linked the flame in the past, are resurrected to try once again. One of those heroes was a man named Aldrich, He was an undead as were the others and commanded great might. So much so that a subsection of the way of white had begun to worship him as a god, and tended to his flame. The head priest of this little cult for Aldrich was a sorcerer named Sulyvahn.

Aldrich was no saint, he was a cannibal and with the help of his followers invaded Anor Londo (he's a lord of cinder do not forget) and ate some of the remaining gods including Gwyndoline. This captured land became known as Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. But for how bad Aldrich was Pontiff Sulyvahn took great pleasure in serving him, and more importantly himself in other ways.

While at Anor Londo Sulyvahn took an interest in and captured one of Gwynevere's daughters, and forced her to be his private dancer. This she does unless Sulyvahn feeds her to Aldrich. She keeps it up for a time and eventually meets one of Sulyvahn's soldiers named Vordt. The two get close and start to meet in secret.

Sulyahn soon hears about his dancer's affair and being the kind understanding man that he is not. He uses his status to marry the two against their will, gives them blessed rings for the ceremony blessed by a curse and then let's them leave the valley in peace to a fate worse than death.

These are rings he gives to warriors sent away from his lands dubbed Outrider knights, in reality being made an outrider knight is akin to being exiled. The rings represent his eyes and any who wear them get lured into battles to the death. Should they live long enough the rings also have a secondary effect that turn these warriors into hideous mindless beasts. This is what happens, the Dancer and Vordt are not far away from each other in game. Their minds and bodies in the later stages of being warped into beasts as we find them. The handmaiden compared killing them to putting down feral beasts, the sad part is I don't think she was wrong.

And with that I have now covered every boss in this board game. It's been a fun ride and I was happy to see many people take an interest even if I'm not the most articulate person in the world. Thank you for indulging this thread guys, and if you have taken an interest in the overarching lore from this thread then there are many resources that go into deeper detail and many unexplored areas that we haven't seen in this board game.

If not then I hope this thread does it's job well and provides some good background on the bosses you will face. Maybe even give you a bit of insight into any mega-bosses you might be interested in.

Happy gaming all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BONUS POST!

You can't talk about Dark Souls lore without bringing up fan favorite NPC Solaire. Praise the sun guys, here's a lore video behind the jolly co-operation of you and your best friend in the whole game.

https://youtu.be/skV-q5KjrUA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mini-bosses!

Since I have spoken about each of the individual bosses, I figure it might be fun to talk about the mini-bosses. Yep I am back for another post. So anyway these guys do play a part of the grander story but as you may imagine, compared to the main bosses they don't take center stage. NOTE: Any Dark Souls 3 specific minibosses or spoilers are in spoiler boxes.

Titanite Demon

There once was a deity who was also a blacksmith, who's name has been forgotten to history. However as a deity his works was the stuff of legends. He forged grand weapons from the legendary Slabs of Titanite. It is said that any weapon made out of titanite will contain power of the lords and go down in history as legendary by their own name sake (think Excalibur levels). As you can imagine this makes the material highly sought after, if it's even possible to find a slab of Titanite that is because only small chunks remains of many known slabs. Although even small chippings is enough to imbue great power into common weapons by a skilled blacksmith

After the great blacksmith lord passed on many of the remaining Titanite slabs in all their power took on a will of their own. They morphed into what we see today as Titanite Demons. If you can somehow kill a Titanite demon perhaps you can get a small amount of the legendary material to empower your weapons. Though nice to have, don't expect anywhere near the scale of power a full original Titanite slab would give naturally.

Frost Knight

Frost knights are known in their homeland as outrider knights. They come from Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, and their name comes from their mission. Sent out by Pontiff Sulivan on missions to far off lands knowing they will never return home, they are given cursed rings by Sulvan which draws them into frenzied battles to the death. These rings also mutate the knights bodies, slowly turning them into hideous mindless beasts.

This is the same story as the Dancer and Vordt of the boreal valley, two outrider knights that are closer to beasthood than these frost knights appear. A terrible fate given by Pontiff Sulivan to any knight that he wants to get rid off.

Invader

Time is unstable in these lands when the power of the first flame begins to fade. When it does many take up the call to try and reignite it, however only the strong of spirit may do so. When worlds start to close in you see echos of what could have been seep into your own. Other dimensions with different undead heroes all aiming for one goal. While some undead may be kind and offer help when their worlds get close, others will be out for themselves. When these undead see another worlds echo, they will break the barrier and invade their counterpart. Trying to kill the undead who belongs to that world and take from them their precious humanity and valuable offerings to appease their dark covenants. Not even death can stop them, for they need only try again.

Winged Knight

*This is my own speculation as not a lot is known about the winged knights yet as they were introduced in Dark Souls 3 which won't be complete lorewise until the two DLC packs come out*

Gertrude, a daughter of Gwynevere born in the kingdom of Lothric was both blind and deaf. In the darkness she was visited by angels and was somehow able to hear and see them. They told her an angelic story about the pillars of light, which granted her a powerful miracle to command. And despite being blind she was somehow able to record this story down in her own indecipherable way.

In time she even grew her own angelic wings and became like them. However when she was discovered and told of her encounter and the story therein, it was considered heresy by Lothric castle who did not recognize the authority of these so called angels. Gertrude was imprisoned in a atop the ceiling of the grand archives, the center of knowledge in Lothric where she was condemned to starve to death. Only malted feathers and a corpse remain in her cage.

Not all thought this way however. Some took the stories to heart and started a cult within Lothric to worship Gertrude and her angels. These followers learned the story and donned powerful armour, they became known as the winged knights. The winged knights were a small group but their power was incredible, they fought terrible battles against the knights of Lothric and many died on both sides. The fighting was so terrible it could be believed it brought the kingdom to it's knees, as the castle itself was barricaded angainst this small but overwhelming powerful force. And through these miracles the winged knights also grew wings of their own over time, and once they are fully realized they take on the title of ascended winged knight with angelic appearance and power. Or perhaps just maybe they are actually angels themselves now. Either way these guys can fly so look out.

Gargoyle

Magical sentinel constructs created by the gods themselves to guard places or objects of great importance to the lords with infinite patience. They possess great power and even the skill of limited flight despite their stone and marble flesh, most who approach a place under the protection of a gargoyle can consider their lives forfeit, for they can easily overpower all but the greatest of warriors. Gargoyles also play a part in divine schemes, as they test the undead and empower their spirit further for the task of linking the first flame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's been very quiet since my last post and the occasional kickstarter updates on this board. So I propose to answer questions about the video game or lore if anyone has them.

Want to know the history of a piece of gear from the armour expansion that has your eye? Or something from my previous posts you want further elaborating on? Go ahead and ask, let's get some conversation going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo Damo
msg tools
While I don't have much to contribute or ask, thank you for your continuing work on this thread. I haven't played anywhere near enough of the Souls universe and your posts have been insightful, informative and provoking.

Has enough time passed for any potential DS3 spoilers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.