Subject: What Megacon to use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
Can anyone give me a breakdown on how all the different megacon factions play? I am thinking of getting the TT version to go along with this and have to decide what factions to pick up along with the rule book. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you're new to it i'd recommend CCC or USCR. They're the most vanilla in terms of abilities and all around stats. CCC has passive buffs that don't require much understanding beyond basic rules. USCR is slower but similar

all the rest are good in their own unique way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
The models in the GCC have really caught my eye as have Texico, anyone know how those play?

House 9 looks pretty good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both really good in TT Texico is my most used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics between TT and Recon are different enough that I'm not sure I'd base my use of a faction in one system on how it plays in the other. For example I love KemVar in TT, but did not enjoy playing with them in base Recon b/c there were too many melee figures. (Note I am talking about the core box.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Found this brief rundown here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/484286.page

CCC - Central and East Coast U.S.. They have the hardest armor in the game to destroy (destroying someone's armor is a HUGE deal.) So hard, that even if you do wreck it it actually repairs itself if given enough time! They are also the only faction that can effectively field 2 heavy weapons - machine gun and a heavy flamer. A good, forgiving starter faction with quite a bit of staying power.

KemVar - South American ninjas. They all have a built in stealth function for their armor which means as long as the armor works they're in cover! This makes them extremely hard to sit and plink away at from long range. The cool tech comes at a price - the armor, once hit, is easily wrecked and hard to repair, KemVar really relies on maneuver to get in for short ranged and melee attacks. Wrecked armor means they're usually not moving anywhere and they're no longer automatically in cover. Folks think this is one of the overpowered factions. While they are tough, they're easy to kill once you do get a hit in.

USCR - like every game that features Soviets these guys are brutal. They have the highest armor levels in the game and are immune to small arms fire. They have a lot of kit that goes towards hampering their opponents movement and their heavy is the only one in the game that does not need a turn to set up his weapon before firing. Heavy armor means slower MERCS and working together is a huge part of their strategy since none of the USCR can both move and fire in the same turn. If you can isolate single USCR units, they usually fall pretty quick.

FCC - no, not the Federal Communications Commission (though that's what I always think of). This Middle East, anti-corporate team can be one of the harder factions to play. They have access to any mini in the game from any faction, Make a bad choice for your play style though and it gets tough for you. Those "guest" figures are not as good as their corporate counterparts so they lose their personal abilities as well as their corporate abilities unless you also field a Liason in your force. For example, the mighty USCR Behemoth taken on an FCC team loses the one power that allows him to move at all! The plus side to these guests is that you do get their special grenades for your Boomer (your heavy carries a grenade launcher) if the team has one (most factions do.) The rest of the faction if you play pure FCC is pretty average in armor and movement but can be a solid choice.

Sefadu - Africa provides us with a fast assault based force. Low (or sometimes no) armor values mean your troops are fast but easily wounded if hit. They excel at melee/short range like KemVar and have some nasty bonuses that start to stack once their leader starts hitting people. The double barrel shotgun is also quite a niffty little surprise. Their biggest asset is that they may always act, even if they fail a supression check (though at a penalty) and their fire numbers for moving and shooting are lower than everyone elses meaning there's no reason not to move, move move.

Keizai Waza - Japan brings us nuclear powered armor and, yes, a nuke. Possibly the most devastating weapon in the game, the Waza nuke is something to fear. Fortunately they only get one and it takes 3 team members to fire it. Kill one member and the nuke is useless. This means you almost always know the composition of a Waza team. The Waza get better as they get hurt (it'san honor thing I guess) and their super nuclear powered armor means they take less of a movement penalty when the armor does break (though it is really hard to repair once wrecked.)

ISS - there's not a lot of fluff that I've seen on these guys. What I can tell you is that they are made for mid to short range combat and then keeping you there.. They get an extra move at the start of the game after deployment and they have a nice automated turret they can set on overwatch during the couse of the game. The lightning gun is a cool piece of tech and when combined with the trident from the Calypso you can make some crazy shots as the heavy targets the thrown trident and the lightning arcs around corners to the next closest model (yes, this means your own guys too so be careful!)

Texico - Texas and Mexico give us your typical gun fighting, duster wearing, attack dog having hombres. Team tactics and stacking attacks is the theme of the day for these guys. They also booby trap everything so teams that rely on bounding to get across the table quick must check for traps when doing so. This can get messy quick for opponents. Their biggest weakness seems to be their lackluster armor values, with a lot of their MERCS being able to be hurt by pistols (the weakest weaopns in the game.)

For those of you who are more focused on Recon, like I am, here's a really brief breakdown of each faction here: http://megacongames.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1695/mercs-...

CCC
Lots of collateral damage
Strong at B&C event
Very good at soaking damage
Can easily lose game by destroying objective

EU, Inc.
Best in game with locations
Excellent team bonuses
Priority is very important to success, especially in B&C events
Don’t get a lot of easy kills (collateral damage kills)

KemVar
Armor reduces OpFor attack dice, even in the B&C
Good at melee and controlling Security Level
Best Interrogation in the game
B&C events tend to be hotly contested

Keizai Waza
Better as they get hurt
Versatile members good at multiple things
Ability to manipulate Priority and CP allows them to control targets
Willingness to take damage can lead to whole team wipe-outs

sefadu
Very good at the attack and move Combined Action
Deadly Reserve Actions
Strong member synergies make grouping team easy
Weak armor

Texico
Best at focusing fire
Can set traps
Loaded with personality and unique abilities
Worst at collateral damage

House 9
Best at collateral damage
Black Ops ability allows them to use other MegaCon MERCS
Can use Employees differently than other factions
Best at collateral damage, which can be very bad

House 4
Best capture in the game
Very good first B&C attack
Not penalized by friendlies in LoS for attack
Lack leadership and synergy bonuses

USCR
Best at Reserve Actions
Very strong armor
Have a very powerful cowering ability
Receive no discounts or bonuses for action other than combat

ISS
Best at B&C event
Good at mitigating collateral damage
Unique attacks that break some rules
Have trouble finding objectives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman15 wrote:
The models in the GCC have really caught my eye as have Texico, anyone know how those play?

House 9 looks pretty good too.

I believe the GCC is the "UN" of the corporate world. It is the "Global Corporate Court" and is the joint arm all the corporations use to enforce agreements and violations of them with other corporations. Really their power is mostly their support from ALL the corporations but they also have a small elite military force called the Keepers.

So you probably won't find the GCC raiding except to enforce some kind of court edict. So they are probably not going to be doing some petty raid into a rival corp's offices to destroy their gun cabinet. But they might do a mission to extract some corp manager who has stepped over the line when his corp is trying to protect him.

The court's actions are greatly influenced by political power and money but according to the book, most corps tow the line because there needs to be an arbiter that can keep all out war from breaking out. That would be bad for business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.