$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 114.83

7,011 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2p medium/heavy euro, quick set up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really love to play medium/heavy euro games with my gf like the Gallerist or Terra Mystica. However the time that the set-up takes, keeps us from doing so. Could you recommend some good euros with quick set-up (and play well with 2 players of course ).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to organize our games for easy setup. Games like Fresco and Trickerion: Legends of Illusion have lots of bits, but, we store them in stackable jewel/bead containers from the craft stores. So, lay out the board, hand each player their starting bag of bits, and lay out the bits bins.

Some of those games can be setup and broken down in a minute or two with proper storage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe I should try this, sounds a very nice idea
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom inserts (foamcore or otherwise) will save TREMENDOUS amounts of time. I can literally setup a game of Terra Mystica in 4 minutes. Most of that is due to faction selection.

Edit: Here's a place to give you some ideas
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find that the set up time for Terra Mystica is to Long. Could we get a idea of what is to long?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
huckins_1971 wrote:
I don't find that the set up time for Terra Mystica is to Long. Could we get a idea of what is to long?


Sure it is lesser compared to The Gallerist, but still has many bits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S0laris wrote:
huckins_1971 wrote:
I don't find that the set up time for Terra Mystica is to Long. Could we get a idea of what is to long?


Sure it is lesser compared to The Gallerist, but still has many bits.



We also have a organizer for Terra Mysticat that helps a lot. But what is to long. 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes. What is to long for you might not be for me. I don't mind 10-15 minutes worth of set for a 90-120+ minutes worth of game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
huckins_1971 wrote:
S0laris wrote:
huckins_1971 wrote:
I don't find that the set up time for Terra Mystica is to Long. Could we get a idea of what is to long?


Sure it is lesser compared to The Gallerist, but still has many bits.



We also have a organizer for Terra Mysticat that helps a lot. But what is to long. 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes. What is to long for you might not be for me. I don't mind 10-15 minutes worth of set for a 90-120+ minutes worth of game


Most of the time I also do not have a problem, but I thinking if there is a game of that weight that could be setted up in 5 min, not 15, in case I am not in such mood.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Gallerist does have an obnoxious setup and breakdown time, but it is so good that it's worth it. I usually try to mitigate this by leaving it out for several consecutive plays.

Some medium to heavy euros with moderately quick setup times:

Agricola (w/ organizer, though drafting cards adds a lot to setup time).
La Granja (w/ organizer)
Puerto Rico (if you pre-select bit #s for your player count)
Roll for the Galaxy
Viticulture
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S0laris wrote:
Maybe I should try this, sounds a very nice idea


There are LOTS of sizes, but, basically I pop into Hobby Lobby, or Michael's, or Jo-Ann with my wife every week or so, and see what is on sale or clearance, and buy them:

http://www.michaels.com/bead-landing-clear-stackable-bead-st...

Is an example of one of the vast assortment. So, when we get a new game, as we punch and sort, we look at what size containers fit in the box most efficiently, put the bits in, use a label maker to label what bin holds what bits, and put it away ready to play.

Fields of Arle can be ready to play in just a couple of minutes if stored this way.

(I think my wife enjoys the initial organizing almost as much as playing...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I findOh My Goods! to be quite fun. And one of our favorites Le Havre the set up time for these is not bad. Especially if you have some small containers for all the chits in Le Havre

http://www.joann.com/storage-studios-super-stacker-pixie-box...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my world right now. I want all the euro with minimal setup and fluff. Strip a game down to simple components and decision making and it'll make it to my table more often.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with the two expansions makes it to the table a lot.

I'm also getting into the Tiny Epic series Tiny Epic Galaxies is euro-ish.

The Great Heartland Hauling Co. pick-up and deliver genre involving moving wooden cubes across the board is nice and Euro-ish. Plays better with 3 people though.

Played Le Havre: The Inland Port once it had nice feel to it.

Picked up Nantucket at Gencon, haven't played it all the way through yet, but it looks promising.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass Road is purely medium (not heavy), but it has a pretty quick setup time and features a card mechanism similar to Broom Service (which I see you like quite well) that works great with 2 players. I would suggest considering the 5-round variant in the rules since the standard game is incredibly short with just 2 players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:
This is my world right now. I want all the euro with minimal setup and fluff. Strip a game down to simple components and decision making and it'll make it to my table more often.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with the two expansions makes it to the table a lot.

I'm also getting into the Tiny Epic series Tiny Epic Galaxies is euro-ish.

The Great Heartland Hauling Co. pick-up and deliver genre involving moving wooden cubes across the board is nice and Euro-ish. Plays better with 3 people though.

Played Le Havre: The Inland Port once it had nice feel to it.

Picked up Nantucket at Gencon, haven't played it all the way through yet, but it looks promising.



I see that you, much like my wife and me, have a few Uwe Rosenberg games in your 2-player rotation. While I do highly recommend Patchwork to go along with ACB&S and The Inland Port, please, please, please, avoid Hengist.

Or, at least try it out before purchase, and understand that it is a rare miss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
+1 Glass Road
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - Medium weight. But the setup is really easy for as many bits as there are.
Caylus
Grand Austria Hotel
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.