Subject: video games on steam that capture the tabletop wargame feel. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
im a big fan of turn based and real time strategy games, just looking for something new.
something that feels like a tabletop wargame.
setting doesnt hugely matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Unity of Command is currently on sale, pretty fun game.
Panzer Corp
Battle Academy 1 and 2
Scourge of war Waterloo
Hearts of Iron IV
Civilization V

There are hundreds to choose from, some complex and others super simple
You can always check out matrix games website,point you in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Iwen
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
The Decisive Campaign Series is very good. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris, Case Blue, and the new Barbarossa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
I've been looking at all the slitherine games. Haven't played any of them before.
http://www.slitherine.com

They are looking promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
micah hundley wrote:
I've been looking at all the slitherine games. Haven't played any of them before.
http://www.slitherine.com

They are looking promising.

that's funny , there almost identical sites
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/?a=2
http://www.slitherine.com/products/?a=2

I did some digging on the web and found out that they are indeed the same company(they merged together). they also financially support the website http://www.wargamer.com/ Learn something new everyday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvehunde wrote:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/?a=2
http://www.slitherine.com/products/?a=2

I did some digging on the web and found out that they are indeed the same company(they merged together). they also financially support the website http://www.wargamer.com/ Learn something new everyday.

Both companies were established big dogs in the digital wargame world, so upon the buy-out (by Slitherine of Matrix) the new owner decided to keep both brands as fans and even developers of both were apprehensive of "that other crowd".

One of the original owners of Matrix used the money to buy himself a nice board wargame company, so it all worked out for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to venture off Steam and onto GOG, then I'd recommend the video game versions of the GBoH series (The Great Battles of Alexander, The Great Battles of Hannibal, and The Great Battles of Caesar). Classic late-90's games that do a very, very good job of staying true to the original while streamlining a lot of the bookkeeping (and providing a surprisingly challenging AI opponent for the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I You-tubed Ultimate General Gettysburg which is on Steam.
The 'lighting' of the G-burg battlefield was a bit dark.
Seemed like a digi-game where ya could move a Corps as fast[real time, the time in yer house]] as you could on a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargame: Air/ Land Battle is one of the best military RTS's I've played. Tons of stats per vehicle, all real-world equipment. The only slight downside is that orders cannot be issued whilst the game is paused. Apart from that, it's fantastic and should be right up any grognard's street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Lance
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I count twelve coming in from starboard, Admiral.
badge
Fourteen from port side, sir!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to find computer wargames to have much smaller time and space scales, and more detail, than board games on the same topic. As a result they tend to feel slow and fiddly to me, with too little action per hour of play.

An exception (which is on GOG, not Steam) is Strategic Command: European Theater

https://www.gog.com/game/strategic_command_european_theater

This game has hexes, step losses, supply states, air and sea power, diplomatic options, research etc yet plays very quickly. Gives a very grand strategic wargame experience very similar to a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Heroes of Normandie on Steam? That might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
I tend to find computer wargames to have much smaller time and space scales, and more detail, than board games on the same topic. As a result they tend to feel slow and fiddly to me, with too little action per hour of play.

An exception (which is on GOG, not Steam) is Strategic Command: European Theater

This game has hexes, step losses, supply states, air and sea power, diplomatic options, research etc yet plays very quickly. Gives a very grand strategic wargame experience very similar to a board game.

That's the original version of the game - had a great boardgame feel - there were also a lot of mods for this one.

Version 3 is currently in beta - an overview of the gameplay and features can be found here :

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/504/details/Strategic.Co...:.War.in.Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gentry202 wrote:
Isn't Heroes of Normandie on Steam? That might work.

Yup - it's been out since late July - very Hollywood though, but if that's your thing

edit : my bad, I meant the iOs version is out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Lance
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I count twelve coming in from starboard, Admiral.
badge
Fourteen from port side, sir!
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
chuft wrote:

That's the original version of the game - had a great boardgame feel - there were also a lot of mods for this one.

Version 3 is currently in beta - an overview of the gameplay and features can be found here :

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/504/details/Strategic.Co...:.War.in.Europe

This game has been so long in coming that I assume it will never come out.

If it actually does I will get it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:

This game has been so long in coming that I assume it will never come out.

If it actually does I will get it immediately.

Announced years ago and then nothing until a couple of months ago the call came out for beta-testers which usually indicates a game is almost finished. The publisher has a booth at Spiel, Essen so I'll pop them the classic "when will it be out" question in person in 2 month's time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
while games like Ultimate General Gettysburg, and wargame do look amazing and i will definitely check them out, i feel like an rts doesnt capture the feel of a boardgame.
it has the tactics, and strategy, and all and im a big fan of the rts genre, but having turns is kind of crucial to feeling like the boardgame.

i passed on the heros of normandie boardgame, and ive looked at the steam version, but eh...
i cant really explain it. something about that game turnes me off of it.
i think its the board, im not sure.

at this point it looks like any of the slitherine / matrix games (they have alot that fit the bill) or strategic command is what im looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
While out of the war game realm a bit, and you like turn based games you may want to try

Kings bounty series
Disciples series
Banner saga series

Scratches that fantasy itch.

Too many good games,so little time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Willeke
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashpoint Campaigns is very boardgamey - WW3 in West Germany late 80's.
Naval: Command: Air/Sea Operations is the game to go to if you like Harpoon or the fleet series.
The AGEOD Engine from Slitherine has several different eras covered.
Graviteam Tactics has several titles on WW2 and smaller conflicts later on. Tactical gameplay, so might be good if you like ASL or some such.
Europa Uniersalis / Crusader Kings / Victoria if you like games like Here I stand or Elizabeth.
Pike and Shot (and its japanese offspring) for a very tabletop-like experience. Based on Fields of Glory rules iirc.

Sorry for not providing links, but lack the time right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do PC gaming and don't know what's on Steam but if the old Combat Mission games are on there they would definitely be worth a look. They have the feel of miniature based tabletop gaming rather than hex and counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't reccomend "Gary Grigsby's War in the East" high enough. It is absolutely amazing.
"War in the West" might be as good but I haven't tried it yet. Seems like I am always restarting Barbarrossa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
wolvehunde wrote:
While out of the war game realm a bit, and you like turn based games you may want to try

Kings bounty series
Disciples series
Banner saga series

Scratches that fantasy itch.

Too many good games,so little time.

very familiar with all of the above. was an original kickstarter backer for banner saga.
good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
Roofio78 wrote:
Naval: Command: Air/Sea Operations is the game to go to if you like Harpoon or the fleet series.

80 dollars!? surprise
Roofio78 wrote:
Pike and Shot (and its japanese offspring) for a very tabletop-like experience. Based on Fields of Glory rules iirc.

both are very much on my radar

Oldwargamer wrote:
I can't reccomend "Gary Grigsby's War in the East" high enough. It is absolutely amazing.
"War in the West" might be as good but I haven't tried it yet. Seems like I am always restarting Barbarrossa.

again... 80 dollars!? surprise

i dont think i could bring myself to drop 80 bucks for a video game, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
thanks for all the input, ive added 6 games to my steam wishlist so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a cracking board game called Mage Wars. Very similar game on steam for PC (and PS4 later this year) called Pox Nora.

If you like turn based fantasy combat, this is a tremendous game. Best ever in my book and it's been going since 2007.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
fentum wrote:
There's a cracking board game called Mage Wars. Very similar game on steam for PC (and PS4 later this year) called Pox Nora.

If you like turn based fantasy combat, this is a tremendous game. Best ever in my book and it's been going since 2007.

i have mage wars arena, bought it when it released and have played it twice i think.
noone to play it with

i used to LOVE pox nora. played it ages ago. then it got bought out by a new company, i want to say that my account got transferred over, but i have no clue anymore.
havent touched it in years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.