Hide
23 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: How the Mill building works: The Definitive Guide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
Here's a short-guide I made to help people understand how the Mill building actually works.

Original wording (pg18):
MILL: Whenever you take the Produce action, the Mill may produce as if it were 1 worker. If there are workers on the Mill territory, they may also produce (it's an extra territory for production).

Better wording (by me):

MILL: Whenever you take the Produce action, the territory with your Mill may count as an extra (bonus) territory for production. The Mill will produce 1 resource (as if it were a worker). If there are actual workers on the Mill territory, they may also produce resources.

If still confused, this is a detailed breakdown of the definition:
The Mill structure essentially provides two optional effects when you take the Produce action on your turn.
1.) The hex the Mill structure is on counts as a free tile to produce on. Produce on that tile following normal rules of production.
2.) The Mill structure itself will produce 1 resource. Think of the Mill as a stationary worker who is always on duty.

EXAMPLE

Bob has 2 workers on Territory A (Mountain hex), 3 workers on Territory B (Tundra hex), and 1 Mill building + 1 worker on Territory C (Forrest hex).

Bob chooses the Produce action and selects Territory A and B for production. AND he decides to take advantage of the Mill therefore he also selects Territory C (alongside A and B for production).

Bob gains 2 Metals on Territory A, 3 Oils on Territory B, and 2 Woods on Territory C.

FAQ

Quote:
Q1: Does activating production on the territory hex with the Mill count towards my initial 2 (or 3) selection of territory production?

ANSWER: No, the Mill territory hex production is ON TOP OF/IN ADDITION TO the 2 (or 3) territories you chose to produce in.

Quote:
Q2: Can I choose not to produce on the territory hex with the Mill?

ANSWER: Yes, you may choose not to produce anything on it. (There may be strategic reasons why you wouldn't.)

Quote:
Q3: Can I choose the territory with the Mill with my produce action AND activate the bonus Mill production -effectively doubling up my production on one single territory hex?

ANSWER: No, you may not do this. The same territory hex can only produce a total of once per turn. You are better off selecting a different territory for your Produce action.

Quote:
Q4: Does the Mill produce any type of resource or the resource is based on the terrain it is on?

ANSWER: The Mill produces resources based on the terrain it is on. Example: If it is on a Mountain, it will produce a Metal.

Quote:
Q5: Can my Mill produce a resource even if no units are on that territory?

ANSWER: Yes, it can produce a resource even if there are no units on that hex. As long as a territory remains in your control, you may produce on it. Remember, an otherwise empty territory hex with your building on it counts as being under your control (Territory Control, pg18).

Quote:
Q6: Can my Mill produce if it is currently occupied by my opponent's Character, Mechs, and/or Workers?

ANSWER: No, your Mill cannot produce if the territory it is on is not under your control. Remember, a territory is not under your control if there are any units (Character, Mechs, and/or Workers) on it that do not belong to your faction.

Quote:
Q7: Can my opponent use my Mill on their turn if they have control over the territory it is on?

ANSWER: No, they cannot use your Mill and that hex does not count as a bonus territory for them to use. However, they can still produce resource(s) on that hex if they have worker(s) on it as part of their normal Produce action. Remember, NONE of your structures' abilities can be used by your opponent (pg 18).

Quote:
Q8: Can the Mill be built on a Village hex and be used to produce workers?

ANSWER: Yes, the Mill can be used to produce 1 worker if it were placed on a Village hex (Source).

Quote:
Q9: Can the Mill move around the board as if it were a worker?

ANSWER: No, it cannot. Remember, buildings cannot be moved around once it is built (Permanence, pg18).

Quote:
Q10: Can the Mill be activated when I use actions on my Factory card?

ANSWER: No, it cannot. Remember, actions taken on Factory cards do not trigger building bonuses (Factory, pg31).

Good luck, I will take suggestions and make improvements if necessary.

EDIT (Aug 31 2016):
I am absolutely floored by all the positive feedback this post has generated! Especially the initial comment by boss creator Jamey Stegmaier himself! I'm super glad my clarification has helped everyone enjoy Scythe to its full potential. Game on!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Sometimes in efforts to economize our verbiage we open ourselves to more questions. In these cases a bit more verbosity is required. Your verbosity should clarify the issues people have had with the mill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mill is a worker. Oh... And obviously he's a building, not a unit. So he can't move, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, your example is probably the BEST explanation I've read of the Mill's production. I've been playing it wrong, treating it more as a worker and less as a hex-controller. In your example, for instance, I was gaining 2 Metal and 3 Oil on my two chosen territories, but then only adding ONE additional Wood from the Mill. Time to ramp up production, baby! Thanks for the excellent, excellent clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great. Well done.
If I may suggest: Add the control part "...if the territory is controlled by you.." to your base definition (yellow highlighted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great post. I was taking the mill just as an "extra worker" which simply produced one additional resource, but I hadn't realised that more workers on the mills territory also produce, even if you choose other 2 (3) different hexes to produce on a given turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching, have your players look at their player mat, and have them "read" the actions from left to right. "Produce on a hex. Produce on another hex. Produce on a third hex if you have upgraded. If you have built the Mill you will produce in the Mill's hex. The Mill acts as a worker on that hex." Yes, there are still a few specific clarifications that might be needed (as you have addressed above), but the player mat really tells the tale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
...the player mat really tells the tale.

Yes, the layout of the mats are awesome and help so much olaying and teaching the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done! That does a really good job of collecting all the clarifications and questions scattered around the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! You should add a clarification that you CANNOT use the Mill's special ability when producing as a part of a factory card's action, like factory card #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I screwed up this rule previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh h
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been doing this very wrong as well. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job. My first play of this game one of the players had a hard time understanding the Mill. In fact, he played the whole game using it incorrectly (shorting himself resources!) before we realized he was not using it right. It was when he saw another person use their mill that he realized it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Scare
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this wrong in our first game the other day. We just used it as an immobile worker, didn't realize it adds an extra territory for production!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Greer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was perfect and very helpful! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauser mauser
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
killersnake10 wrote:

Quote:

ANSWER: Yes, the Mill can be used to produce 1 worker if it were placed on a Village hex.

Only this point still raises my concerns.
Jamey asked to not count workers as resources.
We decided to treat mill as form of automation only to gain resources not workers.

except this one - great clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mauserem wrote:
killersnake10 wrote:

Quote:

ANSWER: Yes, the Mill can be used to produce 1 worker if it were placed on a Village hex.

We decided to treat mill as form of automation only to gain resources not workers.

For the sake of production this is absolutely not true. The mill will produce workers if on a village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mauserem wrote:
killersnake10 wrote:

Quote:

Hey, bud. Strictly speaking, workers are not resources. However, in terms of production, workers are produced via the same way as resources. Thus, the Mill itself CAN produce workers. Jamey has clarified this already in a different thread:

jameystegmaier wrote:
That's true, workers aren't resources, but they are produced in the same way that resources are. The Mill can produce workers.

I will add this source to my original post.

But in the future, please use the search function prior to raising a concern because it most likely has already been authoritatively addressed somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Malinao
Philippines
Las Pinas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I choose a hex as part of my Produce action, and this hex has a Mill and a worker, do I get 1 or 2 of the hex resource?

I didn't see it in the FAQ, and this bit confuses me; if a Mill is a worker (when it produces) or more of a territory marker that produces (to be used only on the Mill bonus hex). Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_pocks wrote:
If I choose a hex as part of my Produce action, and this hex has a Mill and a worker, do I get 1 or 2 of the hex resource?

I didn't see it in the FAQ, and this bit confuses me; if a Mill is a worker (when it produces) or more of a territory marker that produces (to be used only on the Mill bonus hex). Thanks!

The answer is two of the hex resource. The mill does two things.

1) It triggers the space it is on to produce, for free, during a produce action. This means that you get your usual 2 (or 3) spaces as indicated on your player mat, plus the mill space.

2) It also counts as a worker on the space it is on.

So, for example, your player mat has the produce action upgraded, so you have 3 hexes visible on the player mat, plus the mill has been built on the board. When you trigger a produce action under these circumstances you choose any three hexes with your workers on to produce as per normal, PLUS the space with the mill on it can produce. In other words, with upgraded produce action you get 3 spaces plus the mill space, with non-upgraded produce action you get 2 spaces plus the mill space. On the mill space you get a number of resources equal to the number of workers plus one for the mill (i.e. 2 workers and the mill would give you 3 resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Malinao
Philippines
Las Pinas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

The answer is two of the hex resource. The mill does two things.

1) It triggers the space it is on to produce, for free, during a produce action. This means that you get your usual 2 (or 3) spaces as indicated on your player mat, plus the mill space.

2) It also counts as a worker on the space it is on.

So, for example, your player mat has the produce action upgraded, so you have 3 hexes visible on the player mat, plus the mill has been built on the board. When you trigger a produce action under these circumstances you choose any three hexes with your workers on to produce as per normal, PLUS the space with the mill on it can produce. In other words, with upgraded produce action you get 3 spaces plus the mill space, with non-upgraded produce action you get 2 spaces plus the mill space. On the mill space you get a number of resources equal to the number of workers plus one for the mill (i.e. 2 workers and the mill would give you 3 resources).

So on your example, I am selecting 3 hexes to produce on, with the third unlocked. What if one of these three hexes actually has 1 worker and my Mill? How many resource do I get from that hex?

Sorry if it adds to the confusion. I basically would like to select the hex where my Mill was, not as a bonus hex, and how many resource would that produce. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_pocks wrote:

Sorry if it adds to the confusion. I basically would like to select the hex where my Mill was, not as a bonus hex, and how many resource would that produce. Thanks again!

Answer is still the same, 2 resources, one for the worker and one for the mill.

Whenever the hex with the mill produces, under any circumstances, you get a number of resources equal to the number of workers plus the mill.

There is no practical difference between using the hex the mill is in as a "bonus" space or using it as one of the 2 or 3 you get to activate as part of your produce action. I am not sure why you are treating them as different. You never have to "choose" all of the available hexes from a produce action, so even if you are able to choose 3 plus the mill, you could not choose any of the 3 and only produce on the mill hex. Either way, the number of resources is always the same, number of workers plus one for the mill.

I want to make sure that you understand that the mill is an additional space you can produce on, on top of the number of spaces unlocked on your produce action space. So in my example above, you can produce on up to 3 spaces AND the mill space as well. You can choose to produce on less than 3 spaces if you want, but the mill is still available as a bonus space if you want. In fact you can choose to produce on 0 spaces and just the mill bonus space. Either way, it doesn't change the number of resources produced on the mill space. It is always a maximum of the number of workers plus one for the mill.

tl;dr - A hex with the mill, when producing under any circumstances, always produces a maximum number of resources equal to the number of workers, plus one for the mill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.