Hide
5 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shub Niggurath's post-Awakening Reckoning Effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lea
msg tools
When placing monsters as a result of advances in Doom for Shub Niggurath's post-Awakening effect, do you:

1) Irrespective of how many spaces the doom track would have notionally advanced, only spawn one monster - so if you're advancing doom according to the presence of gates with the corresponding Omen, and there's 2 open, you would still place only one monster?

or:

2) Still count the number of spaces the track would have advanced by - so in the example above, you would place 2 monsters?

Also, when spawning monsters as a result of the effect which themselves have spawning effects which would normally cause them to be spawned in a different space (e.g. the Colour out of Space), does the effect on the Ancient One sheet override this, i.e. you ignore the spawning effect and still place the monster with the Shub Niggurath Epic Monster in the Heart of Africa Space? Similarly, if you spawn a monster on her space with a Reckoning effect which would cause the monster to move (e.g. Mi Go, Night Gaunt), does the Reckoning effect still move the monster as normal, or does it stay with Shub Niggurath?

Many thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignas Masilionis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st I would spawn 2 monsters if doom advanced by 2, because I see it as doom allways advance by 1, you do effects (like ancient one awakens) then continue advancing doom by 1.

2nd question. I would spawn a monster, do it's effect even if it says move it somewhere else. If reckoning kicks in I would move monsters, because theres nothing on Shub Niggurath's what would say "ignore reckonings"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one monster per doom advancement. Each gate in your example is a single doom advancement, so place two monsters for two gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Thank you both very much for your responses.

Ok, for the issues I raised regarding advancement of Doom and monsters with Reckoning effects, it seems pretty clear how to handle these. I'm still less clear on how to handle the issue with the spawning of monsters which themselves have spawning effects. The rules are pretty clear on how to handle conflicts between the rules themselves and what's printed on a particular element of the game, like a card. The principle is "do what it says on the card". It seems less clear regarding when individual elements are in conflict with one another, which is the case here.

The same question arises in the case of the Yeb Epic Monster and the two monsters that get spawned with it when it comes into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelea wrote:
Thank you both very much for your responses.

Ok, for the issues I raised regarding advancement of Doom and monsters with Reckoning effects, it seems pretty clear how to handle these. I'm still less clear on how to handle the issue with the spawning of monsters which themselves have spawning effects.

Shub-Niggurath's ability doesn't override regular spawning effects. Spawn them in Africa, then if they move, immediately move them. If they have a different on-spawn effect, do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.