Subject: New King Balon Greyjoy er why ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why you use this version instead of core set ?

Is king trait is that much good ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wouldn't play this Balon over core set Balon. Looks like pretty much the whole thrones community agrees. You can check out a review of the pack this card comes in on cardgamedb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not very good competitively, but I'm eager to build 5 "thematic" decks for a War of the Five Kings melee, with King versions of Robb, Balon, Joffrey, Stannis, and Renly.
Using King Balon instead of core is a downer, but I would also be building other decks more around theme than competitive advantage (for example I would build the Baratheon deck without Robert)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple reasons:

1) You want to make more challenges rather than near-guarantee unopposed.

2) You like the new art better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Maybe in the future GJ will have some other theme besides getting unnopposed challanges and the new Balon will fit better? Like something on the lines of multiple militar challanges per phase ala Khal Drogo? That way, having someone that can participate in 3 challanges a turn with renown can compensate losing the uo bonus. Who knows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The King attribute may matter one day, but until then I think I'll take the cheaper card with a more useful effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still early days for 2nd edition, and most houses still have one preferential strategy that will likely surpass all others. For Greyjoy it's clearly unopposed challenges, so - aesthetics or thematic preference aside - there's no competitive reason to choose the new Balon right now.

But, all men must die, so who knows in the future...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.