A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fast 4P Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Hi Got Boardgame fans!

I came up with this 4 player variant of the game, that ensures constant battles, diplomacy and a shorter game time.

The houses used are - Lanny, Bara, Tyrell and Martell.

I honestly haven't had the chance to test it out yet as I just finished it up last night. I have mixed house cards from both ADWD and the Standard game.

The setup, cards etc can be found at http://tinyurl.com/dURgvBGwsObij5yvdIYQ

Keypoints that I have considered so far:
1) The only northern territory opened is The mountains of the Moon and has Bara power token, otherwise Bara is not competitive.
2) The Arbor is the only unoccupied territory (I would expect Tyrell to start consolidating on turn 2)
3) The cards are heavy on Text abilities and swords, to make up for initial armies.
4) Every house starts with 3 ships (1 in harbor)
5) Every house has 9 mustering points in land armies (2KN and 5 FM) Exept for Bara, that has 4 FM and an additional mustering point having the 5th FM into SE.
6) Every house has 1 of their KNs in the starting area.
7) House Rule (optional but interesting and thematic) Using the Special Raid order in KL allows you to raid ships in Blackwater Bay.

I'm yet to try this one in the upcoming days or at least solitaire the first two turns.

I'm also considering Using the regular 6p influence tracks (allowing all houses to use at least 1 special order at any time).

The Bara siege engine will probably change it's location in the near future.

My thoughts on each house.

Baratheon - Strong deck mainly because of Stanis, removing all adjacent support orders from the board, the fact John Snow makes Mance go up on CS making 1 FM with M-1 a force to be reckoned with 0-10. Melisandre can return Mance for free... Salador is essential towards keeping DS from Martel later on. I know that with Melisandre (ADWD version) Patchface is going to stick out really well and MIGHT consider adding him instead of Mance, I'm uncertain at this time but TBH I really hate Patchface as a card I'll see how Bara plays out as I believe he's the house that is in the corner on the ropes.

Lannister - I had to use the new Jamie... No way I could skip Clegaine (my favorite card in the game), Ilyn pain provides an ability which I really felt must be in t his scenario. Tyrion also HAD to stay. Qyburn is the Lanny OP 0 card that would give you an edge in combat, after a strong 4 card is used (Red Viper, Jaimy, Mace or even Clegaine!) or can be a "second Houd/Areo" to ensure survival in a huge loss.

Martell - Used the Red Viper mainly because the 4 in ADWD is crap. Areo got the ADWD boost (3 with 2 towers). The rest of the cards are standard edition cards keeping Old Doran and Arianne. The only other addition would be Quentin Martell, that is the Martell's low high value later on card, increasing it's combat strength for every discarded card (it would have almost no value to passive Martels). Old Doran and Arianne would serve as a deterrent for incoming attacks as Marterll mainly uses the Standard - sword heavy deck.

Tyrell - Using Old Mace Tyrell to make it different from Jaimy. I just had to keep Ser Loras. The other honorable mentions are Queen of Thorns that is very useful due to heavy TEXT ability decks, Paxter Redwayne is the 1 CS Version of Victarion but only takes effect in naval battles and OFC - Margery - That would make the final Combat strength of the opponent 2 IF you are defending an area with Power Token or High Garden (very strong defensive card).

Please let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber
France
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting, there sure are plenty units to have fun right away

Baratheon looks pretty weak to me though, as he need to set his first move in Cracklaw Point to avoid an attack on his SE, and cannot really take KL right away (need to move his boats first). I would replace the SE with a KN or 2 FM. Also, his fleets have little chance to move South because of the Sea of Dorne, so he has not much options.

Tyrell has the most options, being able to attack all 3 neighbours, and not being in real danger right away (Lannister fleet being divided).

I would try to give an edge to Baratheon so that he can turn on Martell more easily. Although I have not paid too much attention to the house cards, maybe DWD Stannis "support bomb" is enough for that.

I'm also wondering whether, for more openness, you could not also set a house rule that the river between Mountains of the Moon and Harrenhal/Riverrun is a normal border and can be crossed by units, to avoid having a full dead end (although that helps Baratheon in a way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Manatane wrote:
Interesting, there sure are plenty units to have fun right away

Baratheon looks pretty weak to me though, as he need to set his first move in Cracklaw Point to avoid an attack on his SE, and cannot really take KL right away (need to move his boats first). I would replace the SE with a KN or 2 FM. Also, his fleets have little chance to move South because of the Sea of Dorne, so he has not much options.

Tyrell has the most options, being able to attack all 3 neighbours, and not being in real danger right away (Lannister fleet being divided).

I would try to give an edge to Baratheon so that he can turn on Martell more easily. Although I have not paid too much attention to the house cards, maybe DWD Stannis "support bomb" is enough for that.

I'm also wondering whether, for more openness, you could not also set a house rule that the river between Mountains of the Moon and Harrenhal/Riverrun is a normal border and can be crossed by units, to avoid having a full dead end (although that helps Baratheon in a way).

Thanks for the feedback. After some play testing, I've swapped the SE in CP to be a Knight as I don't want Baratheon to be reaching his 3 army supply limit in any area at the start giving more choices.

I would prefer Mountains of the Moon to be one way passage, mainly because:
In two of the games Kingswood was taken away really early on and Supply came into play resulting in Classic 2 Supply Baratheon I can imagine what the outcome would be if Lannister would also just move in to Mountains of the Moon to get him to 1

So far Lannister seems to be the house that really struggles in my eyes. As they didn't win a game so far out of 5 games. Even Baratheon scored due to bad Martell plays and because Tyrel obliterated Lannister.

The results so far are:
Martell: 2
Tyrell: 2
Baratheon: 1
Lannister: 0

Updated setup can be found at http://tinyurl.com/dURgvBGwsObij5yvdIYQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.