Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: When Do Workers Retreat During The Move Action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd reference this thread as it's listed under strategy, but it actually contains an important rules clarification that people might miss because of this (I almost didn't read it).

Worker displacement (i.e. if there are only enemy workers, and no enemy combat units in a hex) occurs at the end of the moving unit's movement, rather than after all movement has finished, as the combats do. This means that during a normal move action, as the first (combat) unit's movement you can move in, clear the workers from a hex (again, provided there are no enemy combat units in there) with that first unit having to stop, then assuming you have speed unlocked, move a second unit through that hex and into another one (currently this would have to be a combat unit as speed doesn't benefit workers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for posting this here!

We did not catch this rule, and it seems a lot of others also missed it. It should have been stated more clarely in the rules!

This way also makes a lot more sense, it was strange that workers alone could contain an entire army... It is OK that a single mech is disrupted since it has to chase the workers away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter De Haes
msg tools
This rule clarification does not mesh well with the rule in the rulebook.

In the thread you link, a clear distinction is made between a Move action and movement. This distinction is also quite clear in the rulebook.

An excerpt from page 11:

"If your character and/or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent’s workers (and no other units), their movement ends and they cannot move again this turn. After you’ve completed your Move action, each of the opponent’s workers on that territory immediately retreats to their faction’s home base, leaving behind any resource tokens."

See the highlighted sentence. The text on page 11 again makes a clear distinction between the end of a movement and the end of the entire Move action. If the rule clarification is correct, the line in the rulebook is very confusing and needs to be corrected imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KangaxxTheLich wrote:

In the thread you link, a clear distinction is made between a Move action and movement. This distinction is also quite clear in the rulebook.

An excerpt from page 11:

"If your character and/or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent’s workers (and no other units), their movement ends and they cannot move again this turn. After you’ve completed your Move action, each of the opponent’s workers on that territory immediately retreats to their faction’s home base, leaving behind any resource tokens."

See the highlighted sentence. The text on page 11 again makes a clear distinction between the end of a movement and the end of the entire Move action. If the rule clarification is correct, the line in the rulebook is very confusing and needs to be corrected imo.

100% in agreement with this statement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KangaxxTheLich wrote:

An excerpt from page 11:

Jamey's clarification does seem to contradict with is in the rulebook, especially after he clarifies that Move and Move Action are two separate things. The rulebook says "Move Action" so it seems like the workers would not clear away until after the Action ends.

I think it'd be interesting if it worked the way he mentions in the other thread, simply because it might open more opportunity for tactical movement. But, it is at odds with the rulebook, so it could use (further) clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an example where I was trying to prevent confusion about one thing, and I ended up creating confusion for another.

The confusing situation I was trying to avoid was one where a mech/character with speed would move onto a territory with an opponent worker. The unit's movement should immediately end even though the worker is forced off the territory--they can't continue moving. However, the intention was that another unit could then move through that territory since it is cleared out.

I see now that the rules as stated make it sound like the enemy worker doesn't retreat until your entire Move action is complete. I should have worded it as follows:

"If your character or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent’s workers (and no other units), its movement ends and they cannot move again this turn. Each of the opponent’s workers on that territory immediately retreats to their faction’s home base, leaving behind any resource tokens."

So the question at this point is: Is it better to errata the rules as written so they reflect the original intention, or is it too late, given that over 45,000 copies of the rules have been printed?

I respect your opinions, and I'm open to your thoughts about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

So the question at this point is: Is it better to errata the rules as written so they reflect the original intention, or is it too late, given that over 45,000 copies of the rules have been printed?

Errata the rules of course for the 2nd "Essential" edition of Scythe complete with Scottish, Japanese & African factions in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"If your character and/or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent’s workers (and no other units), its movement ends and they cannot move again this turn. Each of the opponent’s workers on that territory immediately retreats to their faction’s home base, leaving behind any resource tokens."

That phrasing is perfect and leaves no ambiguity, in my opinion. I think using that as a rules clarification is just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would change your "and/or" to a simple "or". The way you have it worded still implies moving the units together as a group while using a solitary "or" implies moving a single piece at a time.

I am among those who interpreted the rule incorrectly, thinking that all movement is lumped together as one action. I will present this clarification next time the game hits the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
This is an example where I was trying to prevent confusion about one thing, and I ended up creating confusion for another.

The confusing situation I was trying to avoid was one where a mech/character with speed would move onto a territory with an opponent worker. The unit's movement should immediately end even though the worker is forced off the territory--they can't continue moving. However, the intention was that another unit could then move through that territory since it is cleared out.

I see now that the rules as stated make it sound like the enemy worker doesn't retreat until your entire Move action is complete. I should have worded it as follows:

"If your character and/or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent’s workers (and no other units), its movement ends and they cannot move again this turn. Each of the opponent’s workers on that territory immediately retreats to their faction’s home base, leaving behind any resource tokens."

Errata is hard to pull off, because it creates a rules rift between players who read the forums/online sites and those who don't. Two players with different versions of the rules who are playing the same game are not going to come to an agreement.

I will say that I think the original intention (ie. the errata) offers a lot more opportunity for tactical movement then the way it is written in the rules, so from now on I will be playing this way with my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerChicken wrote:

Errata is hard to pull off, because it creates a rules rift between players who read the forums/online sites and those who don't. Two players with different versions of the rules who are playing the same game are not going to come to an agreement.

As long as someone in the room has a smart phone, the errata is available for everyone to see if there is a disagreement. Either no-one in the room is aware of it, or at least one person is and they can show it to everyone else. Easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the original thread, I checked the rule book and found that the there was a minor distinction between moving onto a worker hex and a combat unit hex. The former states "your Move action" while the latter states "all your Move actions". This subtle difference implies that there was an intent to differentiate between a single unit moving and all you units moving.

While a clarification for imperfect wording is needed, it isn't an errata that completely changes the printed rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already assumed this was the correct way. I think the change of wording in the rules for future editions would be best. However, if you wanted to offer a free image, matching the rulebook graphics which we could print on a standard label and chuck in the rules...that would be awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG prints hundreds of thousands of copies of their games and erratas them all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerChicken wrote:
The idea of people either deliberately or inadvertently having their heads in the sand does not invalidate the need for the publication of the errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The strategy is much deeper if your other units can continue to move past the sent home workers so stick with your intention.

Errata it, its not a huge problem. Wizards of the coast and fantasy flight errata their card games all the time from an online database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have no problem with errata. In fact, I'd rather the game company publish an official errata document somewhere so I can be directed to it whenever I have a question. My group is pretty good with rules but every once in a while someone will have to google for a clarification, and it helps a lot when there's an official answer somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Errata. It's a small point that changes, but does not break, gameplay. Anyone who plays by an incorrect ruling (waiting until all movement is done to retreat workers) isn't playing a particularly inferior game, just a slight variant. And anyone who really cares will find the errata, particularly if it's on your website and in later printings of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote to Errata the rules as written to reflect the original intention. I don't think it's too late. I would love to see a file that we could download that matches the type-face, margins, etc. in the rule book so we could print it on a label and paste it in our rules. (You could also include an errata sheet in the first expansion for those who purchase it.)

What ever you do, I will certainly follow the clarified rule - in fact, have already emailed our gaming group about the change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Errata. It's a small point that changes, but does not break, gameplay. Anyone who plays by an incorrect ruling (waiting until all movement is done to retreat workers) isn't playing a particularly inferior game, just a slight variant. And anyone who really cares will find the errata, particularly if it's on your website and in later printings of the rules.

Actually, I played a game recently in which a player deliberately strung out a group of single workers so that I could only take one a turn - effectively cancelling my +1 Speed (as we then interpreted the rules). So the rule change does open the game up and is far better IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:
After reading the original thread, I checked the rule book and found that the there was a minor distinction between moving onto a worker hex and a combat unit hex. The former states "your Move action" while the latter states "all your Move actions". This subtle difference implies that there was an intent to differentiate between a single unit moving and all you units moving.

While a clarification for imperfect wording is needed, it isn't an errata that completely changes the printed rule.

I noticed this too on pg 11, and although you could get away with calling it a "major clarification", I now agree it's probably best to call it a full fledged Errata (as you are doing). The text "After you've completed your Move action," is very misleading.

I did notice on that same page, there is a slight variation on that first sentence below "Controlled by Workers" and "Controlled by Characters and/or Mechs". If you are going to be revising the rulebook anyway, I would change the end of those first sentences to be the same for consistency. The difference is:

"...their movement ends and they cannot move again this turn."
vs.
"...their movement ends (even if you have a mech ability that would allow them to move further)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Niggel
msg tools
I also misinterpreted the rule as written and I agree that it's better to release the errata online and in future printings vs. altering the intent of the rule. The rules as written aren't wrong, after all; they're just unclear.

You might be adding confusion by changing plurality here, though: "...its movement ends and they cannot move...". Wouldn't it be clearer to state "...its movement ends and it cannot move..."? Switching to plural might imply something also applies to other units you are moving as part of the action. (While workers a mech is carrying might technically fit that definition, I don't think they need to be considered to that degree.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
FFG prints hundreds of thousands of copies of their games and erratas them all the time.

Not to mention GMT and their concept of a "living rulebook", i.e. it is simply assumed it will be updated over time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata happens all the time. Just put up a new page on your site called "Errata". Or add it the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your feedback. Really, this is incredibly helpful, and I'm lucky to have wise, passionate gamers to provide these insights. It also means a lot to me that you didn't roast me for this mistake! I don't relish the thought of an errata, but I'd rather admit to the mistake and fix it (per your advice) than proceed as if nothing's wrong.

I think it is best to errata the wording to match the original intention of the rule. As some of you have pointed out, it does not ruin Scythe for people who play with the incorrect rule. But it's nice to have the correct version.

I'm going to change the plurality of "their" to "its" several times on page 11, as well as adding the more consistent phrasing that George mentions. I'll also change the phrasing on page 11 to the following:

"If your character or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent’s workers (and no other units), its movement ends (even if you have a mech ability that would allow it to move further). Each of the opponent’s workers on that territory immediately retreats to their faction’s home base, leaving behind any resource tokens."

I've also added the errata to the FAQ:

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/faq-scythe/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.