Subject: Best boardgame with miniatures for a typical eurogamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have a problem. I have recently taken up the hobby of painting miniatures and have been surprised by how much I enjoy it. So far I have been painting my copy of War Of The Ring (Second edition) and I also have Star Wars: Imperial Assualt sitting on my shelf, waiting to be painted.

The thing is that I would really like some great boardgames with great miniatures, but I don't usually enjoy the type of games that has miniatures. Of the two I own, I think War Of The Ring is alright (not amazing) and I haven't even played Imperial Assault and I generally don't like dungeon crawlers or cooperative games very much. Instead, I mostly like eurogames - especially heavy ones.

The best game with miniatures I have played is probably Scythe and I am indeed thinking about buying that. It does seem a bit pointless though, as one of my main gaming buddies already owns it.

Another game I quite enjoyed was Blood Rage. I only tried it once but it was pretty good. I didn't totally love it, but I could envision some occasions where it would be nice to have. Also, the miniatures are really cool.

I was considering Kingdom Death: Monster, because it is supposedly a really good solo game and I like to have good solo games in my collection (Mage Knight Board Game is one of my favourite games). However, it is also stupidly expensive.

Another thing to consider is that painting WOTR has really made me vary of batch painting. Painting 4-5 identical figures is fine, painting more than a dozen identical figures isn't much fun and I do this for fun.

Any thoughts on what I should get or look into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in your position (Scythe is actually too in-your-face for my taste), but there are a few games with minis I enjoy a lot:

BattleLore (Second Edition) has a great army building aspect, and objective-based scoring that feels just right to my Euro-lean. We usually play with a 3-card display to draw from, rather than blind-draw.

Kemet also has some very interesting Euro aspects, even in its combat system.

Lords of Xidit has minis (although they are quite cheap) that you use as resources. The game itself is pure programation Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Cthulhu Wars for two reasons:

- Really good gameplay. Last only 60 to 90 minutes. Can be learned in under 5 to 10 minutes. The gameplay really is more like a euro area control game than a full combat game like Risk or Axis and Allies. Combat is there... but you'll be surprised how little there actually is in it. The threat of combat is more important than the combat itself. During combat, few units are actually lost. Most will just move to adjacent territories.

- The miniatures (just finished painting the 4 factions from the set myself).
Most minis come in an average of 3 copies each, meaning lots of variety while painting (with the sole exception of the cultists, which have 6 for each faction). They are awesome.

The game can still be found here and there in FLGS and such...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like to paint my boardgame miniatures - currently painting WotR actually

Not really miniatures but I very much enjoyed painting all the stuff in Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

HeroQuest is another good one, but a bit expensive to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:
I'm in your position (Scythe is actually too in-your-face for my taste), but there are a few games with minis I enjoy a lot:

BattleLore (Second Edition) has a great army building aspect, and objective-based scoring that feels just right to my Euro-lean. We usually play with a 3-card display to draw from, rather than blind-draw.

Kemet also has some very interesting Euro aspects, even in its combat system.

Lords of Xidit has minis (although they are quite cheap) that you use as resources. The game itself is pure programation Euro.

My personal opinion, but i wouldn't take Kemet or Xidit for painting miniatures. They are really, really tiny in both games and there's very little variety in models type. Xidit has 5 sculpts with something like 20 copies of each. Kemet is similar (with about 5 additional "heroes").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage would be my first suggestion.

My second is another CMON offering: The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service, which contains some nice character study pieces...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple other options.

Cyclades

Clockwork Wars is a popular underground game that did not get too much attention that is worth looking at. The retail version does not have minis, but you can buy some here: https://www.amazon.com/Clockwork-Wars-Plastic-Miniatures-Uni...

Hyperborea (Granted these are small minis!)

Specter Ops (Not a Euro either, but the minis are pretty awesome. Also it is definitely not your typical mini game.)

If you missed out on Cthulu Wars, check out Glorantha: The Gods War. Same designer with a different setting and slightly different mechanics. Not really a true Euro in and of itself though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll recommend Francis Drake. It's a good euro game with beautiful miniatures. I spent a good few hours painting the boats in the game, and they come out lovely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
magikmax wrote:
I'll recommend Francis Drake. It's a good euro game with beautiful miniatures. I spent a good few hours painting the boats in the game, and they come out lovely.

Wasn't going to mention it as it involves buying additional stuff but I actually bought 15mm pirates, a sloop and naval guns and painted it all up - it barely fits the box now, but it looks lovely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World for sure. Hyperborea, noted above, is also a good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

- Really good gameplay. Last only 60 to 90 minutes. Can be learned in under 5 to 10 minutes. The gameplay really is more like a euro area control game than a full combat game like Risk or Axis and Allies. Combat is there... but you'll be surprised how little there actually is in it. The threat of combat is more important than the combat itself. During combat, few units are actually lost. Most will just move to adjacent territories.

Most minis come in an average of 3 copies each, meaning lots of variety while painting (with the sole exception of the cultists, which have 6 for each faction). They are awesome.

I did look at that and the new Gods War "sequel" (of sorts...), but damn, they are expensive as hell. I wouldn't actually mind paying a ton of money for a miniatures game that I love, but I would like to know in advance that I will love it, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:

Just watched a video on it and it looks quite interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
deedob wrote:

I did look at that and the new Gods War "sequel" (of sorts...), but damn, they are expensive as hell. I wouldn't actually mind paying a ton of money for a miniatures game that I love, but I would like to know in advance that I will love it, I guess.

Cthulhu Wars is my favourite game of all times and what deedob said is true. If you would like to try Glorantha: The Gods War (I think I read somewhere that CW is like a dark alley fight where GW is like a fencing match) before buying it, you can try the free PNP:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1615001/do-you-want-try-god...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I known it is GW but I always feel that Horus Heresy is a euro type of game with cool components.
Shadows over Camelot has nice figures.
Bit dungeoneery but still gamy The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game.

How good would Utopia look painted.. Mmmm. Tempted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits, depending on your skill level. I took a look at your Gallery, and think you'll benefit from them. Since you have kids, look into painting miniatures for kid's games. "Hey That's My Fish" has penguins, and "Here Kitty Kitty" has a variety of cats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically almost any Coolmimis game. Blood Rage is a genuinely good game in it's own right, most of the others are just OK. Descent 2 has some good figures to paint and I love the game but it is similar to Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
I known it is GW but I always feel that Horus Heresy is a euro type of game with cool components.
Shadows over Camelot has nice figures.
Bit dungeoneery but still gamy The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game.

How good would Utopia look painted.. Mmmm. Tempted?

Horus Heresy is from FFG, licensed from GW.

It is also out of print with zero possibilities of coming back anytime soon now that FFG has lost the GW licenses.

It was a good game, but i wouldn't call it a euro. To me, it's pure ameritrash, but FFG style... like Starcraft the board game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tricky to find a eurogame with good miniatures. I took a look at games and could not really match any.
Some more cool games spotted though , some with just the hero figures which are great to paint like Runebound (Second Edition) or current one Runebound (Third Edition) and Dungeon Twister figures.
Cadwallon: City of Thieves and BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia have nice pieces.
Similar to the ameritrash area movement game Cthulhu Wars is Chaos in the Old World . The miniatures are not as good but the game plays better and the factions seem more balanced.
Two more with nice minis but more conquering style Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game and Runewars.
Perhaps the way to go is to buy a miniature heavy game and use its figures to bling a Euro ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To a true eurogamer... miniatures are meaningless... but theres always Eclipse: Ship Pack One

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn. My wife and I are big into eurogames (Tzolkin is probably our fave at the moment) and Earth Reborn is a fantastic change of scenery.

It is 3.86/5 on the BGG heaviness scale so is considered a "heavy" game by many, which is exactly what you like.

It's made by a French company, and the designer is the same designer of the game Archipelago which is an economic worker placement game. The game is well designed and is not just another "miniatures shooting each other" game.

There are just a handful of miniatures so you can paint them all. They are fantastically detailed (I think they are even better than some of my Games Workshop miniatures) and are already primed so you can get directly to the painting.

The game itself is amazing - a lot of tactical gameplay and clever mechanics that get you thinking. Setup time can be quite long just because you have to set up the map.

It's 59.99 with free shipping to Denmark on their official site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is chockfull of beatiful miniatures laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.