Subject: Keeping the decks in alphabetical order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the set up on the rule book it suggests that you put the decks in alphabetical order, my first two games I did not then after that I did. What a difference that made, even when items were discarded I would insert them right back into the deck in alphabetical order.

The spells, however, I keep thinking about Eldritch Horror and drawing spells from the bottom of the deck to keep them randomized then when I use a spell and have draw another of the same type I set the used spell down then start drawing from the bottom until I get the spells that was called for then I insert the used spell and shuffle the whole deck again. Is this method problematic somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
In the set up on the rule book it suggests that you put the decks in alphabetical order, my first two games I did not then after that I did. What a difference that made, even when items were discarded I would insert them right back into the deck in alphabetical order.

The spells, however, I keep thinking about Eldritch Horror and drawing spells from the bottom of the deck to keep them randomized then when I use a spell and have draw another of the same type I set the used spell down then start drawing from the bottom until I get the spells that was called for then I insert the used spell and shuffle the whole deck again. Is this method problematic somehow?

I keep the spells in their individual piles. Then when a spell is used I shuffle it back into the deck and then draw a new one.

The only problem I could see with keeping all the spells in the same deck is just it being a little obnoxious to have to repeatedly pull spell cards til you find the one you're looking for.

Also I don't think there's any benefit (but also no detriment) to pulling from the bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a card holder like in this picture, just in a bit different order
Conditions on the left section and spells and items on the right. A nice coincidence that there are exactly 16 different card types (counting each spell separately).

Each spell in a different slot. Discard spell (put used card back to the deck), shuffle that deck and draw a random card from that deck. Quick and easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep the spells in one deck, alphabetically. When a player gets a spell I extract its cards into their own pile. Saves having to extract them every time you need to shuffle just that spell's cards.

I have card holders, like those shown above, that I use for games like Eldritch Horror where there's an excessive number of decks, but for my size table the card footprint of MoM2e isn't a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:

Also I don't think there's any benefit (but also no detriment) to pulling from the bottom of the deck.

I concur (though I'd say the annoyance was a detriment). Eldritch has this convention due to various in-game effects which call on investigators to gain a random spell of a particular type, but I've not seen anything like this in MoM (and don't anticipate I will).

To the OP, I appreciate the design reasons for the alphabetical order, but I've found the effort needed to re-alphabetize cards during and after the game to be large than the effort needed to scan through a randomized deck of cards. So my group ditched the alphabetizing in lieu of the latter approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding spells:
I usually place the "deck" of all five copies of a spell someone gains in their area beside the other gained cards and just use the top one when called for, then after flipping the card, shuffle all cards so that a random card is on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I organized my Items, Spells, and Conditions alphabetically using binder sheets:

https://www.amazon.com/BCW-20-Pocket-Pages-Pocket-Size/dp/B0...

It works very well, allowing you to easily locate cards and restore them when you're done. Unfortunately, the 2" pockets means there's considerable amount of wiggle, and the cards fall out easily if you're not careful. I would love to find a similar solution that better fits the 1+5/8" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.