13 Posts

Guilds of London» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cards that force resolution of tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BP Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my opponents used a card to move the beedle and then moved 2 liverymen to a tile that needed 4 pawns to resolve. I replaced the 2 liverymen with neutrals during negotiation, so there were only neutrals on the tile. No one wins the tile, but does the tile still get flipped as part of the resolution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the neutrals all move back to the supply, and the tile stays unresolved, just like in any tie for first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules it says that if there are no player colored liverymen at the end of negotiation the tile does not score that round and the neutral liverymen are returned to the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope: page 9 of the rules: "If there are no player liveryman pawns on the tile after negotiation, the tile will not resolve this round."

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BP Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that was the argument that ensued. I maintained that the tile did not flip, but my opponent maintained that the card required it to flip regardless of the number or type of pawns because the card said it would be resolved this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, this is a confusing aspect of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the tile should not be flipped.

After everybody has had a turn, tiles are resolved.

The resolving of the tiles has 3 stages:
1. Negotiation
2. Voting
3. Reward

The rules say that if there are no player liveryman pawns on the tile after negotiation, the tile will not resolve this round. So you take of the pawns and stop the resolving.

Flipping the tile is part of stage 3, Reward. Since there's no resolving anymore, there's no reward-stage. The reward stage is the next step if there would still be a resolving after the voting. But there's no resolving anymore, so there's no reward-stage and hence no flipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
But keep in mind that the question here is about cards that "force" a tile to resolve. Player aid says "resolve even if it doesn't have enough pawns."

Step two of Resolving a tile, Voting, says, "If there are no player liveryman pawns on the tile after negotiation, the tile will not resolve this round."

But the card forces it to anyway. Or not? It is confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need Tony Boydell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BP Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does not win tiles, only players do. so, if a tile resolves and no player is determined as the winner then it remains to be won by players in later rounds (so does not flip!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
But keep in mind that the question here is about cards that "force" a tile to resolve. Player aid says "resolve even if it doesn't have enough pawns."

Step two of Resolving a tile, Voting, says, "If there are no player liveryman pawns on the tile after negotiation, the tile will not resolve this round."

But the card forces it to anyway. Or not? It is confusing.

I interpret it this way:

"Resolve" means to go through the 3-step resolution process, which may result in the tile being flipped, if a majority obtains after negotiation. In this case, no majority was left, so it didn't flip. The tile did get resolved, it just didn't flip as a result of the resolution process, and stays upright and may need to get resolved again later.

The confusing part is in Step 2 quoted above. I think it would be much clearer to say that "the tile will stay face up this round" instead of "the tile will not resolve this round".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have assumed that in order to resolve a tile there needs to be a winner. If there are only neutrals there can be no winner therefore no resolution. The card youre talking about just mmakes it so a tile can be resolved if you had for example one liveryman on it.

I got pushed out of a good tile last night because my friend did this to me. We just left the tile face up. Would have gave me some much needed points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.