Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: RTL: Spot within 2 Range of other Hero? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rikkert Keldermann
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Playing the tutorial of RTL, and I had a spot issue. I now the definition of the spot (read a lot on these forums), but I was wondering if somebody could help me.

The board: 3 normal Flesh Moulders and 1 master Flesh Moulder are on the board. The app told me to activate the 3 normal Flesh Moulders and spot the closest hero, and attack. So far no problems, for these 3 normal pieces. They spotted, moved and attacked all within 3 spaces of range of the closest hero. However, they are blocking (taken a position) the Master to use Spot.

Next, the app told me to to activate the Master Flesh Moulder, and spot again the closest hero (same hero). Now comes the problem. The other 3 normal Flesh Moulders are blocking my Master Moulder physically. However, I can move through them, and be either on 3 spaces of the closest hero, while at the same time come within 2 spaces of range of another hero (I cannot retreat, movement is then exhausted). So, I attack the closest hero or not? Since I am then within 2 spaces of another hero and cannot retreat. The other option is to go within 2 spaces of the closest hero (and 3 of the other, still movement exhausted) and attack. Both same problem. Or is it to "spot the closest hero, then spot/move to it, regardless of range of other heroes).

For me, if I would make the decision (regardless of the app, but as an overlord would do) I would go within 2 spaces (in stead of 3) and attack the closest hero. Since doing extra dmg to the hero would be more important then spotting it on a save distance.

Same question is when it comes to spot as many heroes as possible. I violate the range of 3 spaces to spot as many heroes, or I always need at least 3 spaces of distance and then try to spot as many heroes as is able.

Thanks

Awaken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would follow the instruction as best as I can. In your case, the first option, that is to move the master to spot the closest hero and end up 3 spaces of that hero and 2 spaces of another. In the next instruction, if it indicates to attack the closest hero, I would attack the hero that is 2 spaces away, because now it is the closest.

I'm not sure if you asking but FYI spot is "within 3 spaces".

If 2 heros are both the closest, I would choose the hero to attack as if I were the overlord. RAW is that the players choose any hero they want.

The app compensates for its inability for true intelligent strategy by occasionally giving monsters super powers called "special effects"in the upper bar of the monster activation window. I found the tutorial quest forgiving compared to quests later on. Especially when it came to some of the special effects the monster can receive.

I encourage you to experiment a bit and of course make any house rules that make the game fun for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
Personally I would follow the instruction as best as I can. In your case, the first option, that is to move the master to spot the closest hero and end up 3 spaces of that hero and 2 spaces of another. In the next instruction, if it indicates to attack the closest hero, I would attack the hero that is 2 spaces away, because now it is the closest.

I'm not sure if you asking but FYI spot is "within 3 spaces".

If 2 heros are both the closest, I would choose the hero to attack as if I were the overlord. RAW is that the players choose any hero they want.

The app compensates for its inability for true intelligent strategy by occasionally giving monsters super powers called "special effects"in the upper bar of the monster activation window. I found the tutorial quest forgiving compared to quests later on. Especially when it came to some of the special effects the monster can receive.

I encourage you to experiment a bit and of course make any house rules that make the game fun for you.

Off this topic- what is RAW? Rules as written? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
Off this topic- what is RAW? Rules as written? Thanks.
Yep, exactly that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.