Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

The Chief Scientist has a Laboratory Asset Card. It may be used during the Resolution Phase. It requires 1 salvage be discarded to use it. All well and good. However, the explanatory text could be clearer. It says to add 1 XCOM die to each roll during a research task. I take that to mean that if the first roll does not result in a success and the Chief Scientist decides to roll again, the +1 XCOM die still applies.

It is the last sentence "Limit once per task." ... this confuses me.

Once the task is completed, is the card turned 90 degrees to signify it has been used? If so, it cannot be used again anyway. If not, the Chief Scientist must remember it has already been used.

So, why is this the last sentence there? Or, does it mean the +1 XCOM die is a "one-off" aand can, literally, only be used for one roll in a task? The first sentence contradicts that idea, hence my confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yes, dice boni like that apply to all rolls against the task.

The limit "per task" means you can't for example use 5 salvage to add 5 dice.

You can however discard another salvage to boost the *next* task, that's why it doesn't exhaust instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoskins
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is not "used" as long as you have salvage to pay for it so if you have three pieces of salvage you could gain +1 die for each of your three research tasks in a turn by spending three salvage. The limit once per task is there to prevent you from spending two salvage on a single task to get +2 XCOM dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.