United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 368th TGIF Poll
I often think "boring" is one of the worst criticisms you can make about a game, because even when you hate it at least there was some emotional investment. When you say a game was "boring" it means you couldn't even work up the interest to have a positive or negative reaction. So...

If your first play of a game is boring, how likely are you to play it again?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I'll definitely give it another chance
4.3% 14
I'd probably be willing to give it another go, but not sure I'd seek it out
32.2% 104
If everybody else wants to play it, then I'll accept, but otherwise it's not happening
56.7% 183
Don't even think about asking me to play that boring game again
6.8% 22
Voters 323
Which of the following traits of a board game instantly make you think "boring"?

(Check all that apply)
Fiddly movement of components
11.1% 34
Lack of player interaction
20.5% 63
Making lots of calculations
13.7% 42
Lack of decisions
77.5% 238
Needing to plan far ahead
2.6% 8
Lack of randomness
7.8% 24
Long play time
22.8% 70
Repetition
70.7% 217
Lack of theme integration
22.8% 70
Voters 307
Some games aren't boring on the first play, but they become boring over time because you realize it doesn't vary much from one game to the next.

When you find a game that you once liked has become boring to you which of the following will you do?

(Check all that apply)
Never play it again
18.6% 59
Take a break from playing the game in hopes it will feel fresh again after some time has passed
78.2% 248
Attempt new strategies (even if they might be less logical)
55.5% 176
Seek out expansions that might add some variety
48.9% 155
Try playing with different people to see if that changes the experience
22.1% 70
Mix in a little smack talk or other player interaction that might liven up the experience
4.4% 14
Seek to enhance/embrace the theme in order to add more flavor to the game
5.7% 18
Just grin and bear it
4.7% 15
Voters 317
This poll is now closed.   326 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:00 am

4. What's a game that you played only once because you found it too boring? (Just to be clear: We're not talking about a game that is bad, annoying, frustrating, or stupid. The game might be perfectly designed, but for whatever reason you were simply bored by it.)

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
I wasn't able to mark any traits on what I find boring in a game. It's hard to pin point, at least for me.

But yes, I have come across some pretty boring games but not sure if it was the game that made it boring or outside influences such as my mood, people I played with, etc.

I mean, some days you just aren't feeling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
4. What's a game that you played only once because you found it too boring? (Just to be clear: We're not talking about a game that is bad, annoying, frustrating, or stupid. The game might be perfectly designed, but for whatever reason you were simply bored by it.)

Porta Nigra. A perfectly acceptable game that failed to provide me any reason to play it a second time.

As with most games that strike me this way, I'm not unwilling to play it a second time, but I won't seek out a second play, so unless someone else really wants to play it - I just won't see it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uchronia - If you've played GtR, then you've played Uchronia. Except, instead of every card being broken and the potential for everyone to have an unbeatable combo that brings on the endgame at breakneck speed, all the cards are nerfed and the game plods forward glacially. I'm sure that was the design goal, but wow was it ever dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, yawn--after a dozen plays. Oh, I've been assured that it will become interesting again with expansions. I paid $2 for my copy of the base game (a thrift find), and the idea of spending more than ten times that to spice up something I find boring just doesn't enchant me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The D&D board game series for me. I played multiple times, thinking I should really like these, but they were just snorers for me. Not bad, just bland repetitive. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not able to say that any game trait instantly tells me that a game will be boring. Determining a game to be boring sadly takes some exposure. Lengthy exposure... Painfully lengthy exposure... snoresnore

As for a game that I found boring, I will mention a couple: Monastery and Merkator. Both of them have themes that should be of interest, but, after one play, I just wasn't feeling the love for either of them. I still own them and will eventually give them another try, but I'm not in a hurry to do so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duchess of Erat
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd try to avoid it and only join in a play if I have to.

2. Almost all the options given are in games I like a lot. I think for me 'boring' is when the game just doesn't grab me, which means I don't enjoy myself doing whatever it is I'm doing in the game. Sometimes that happens because of downtime, sometimes because of lack of theme (integration), sometimes because there's no arc... it varies.

3. If a game is no longer interesting to us, we just don't play it for a while. At some point, we'll either give it another go (maybe with new players), or we'll just 'forget' about it, and it'll just gather dust.

4. The Castles of Burgundy fits that description perfectly. I don't really remember what it was we were doing, but it was just not very interesting to me. I didn't even enjoy the building bit (which is usually something I like in games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition). I know a lot of people like this game. For whatever reason I was bored stiff by it and couldn't wait for it to end. I can't recall playing a game that felt more like a waste of time. It still occasionally hits the table in our group but fortunately, we have enough people that there's always some other game I can get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
I went directly to my "rated 4" games

these are the ones I found boring and not that they were bad just boring-

Ablaze!
Alhambra: The Dice Game
Chromino
Dragon's Hoard
Foodfighters
King's Forge
Lagoon: Land of Druids
Lift Off! Get me off this Planet!
Longhorn
Machi Koro
Mascarade
Niya
Parfum

not all of my rated 4 games but those specifically. I am sure I have a lot more that fall into this category in the different ratings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I'd need the rest of the people at the table requesting the game for a boring game to find its way back to my table. If a game doesn't grab me the first time, it's on to my trade pile.

2 - I can think of strong exceptions to a lot of these, but the 3 that instantly make me think they will be boring are: Fiddly-ness, No randomness, and Repetitive mechanisms.

3 - My first inclination is to take a break from the game, often this is enough to freshen up the experience and make it feel new again. However, sometimes I'm forced to just grin and bear it (for instance if my wife really loves the game.) In that scenario, my best solution is to look for wild and wacky strategies. It's easy to get into a groove and think the game is samey because you feel like you've figured out the clearest path to victory, but if that's getting boring it's time to explore and see if there's another path that will work just as well (if the game allows for that kind of thing.)

4 - Le Havre is a great example of this. I found the game design solid, and I really didn't hate my experience playing it. The problem was, I just found it bland and boring. The theme is boring, the tracking of all the chits is fiddly and gets old quick, and while I understood what I was trying to do I didn't have the interest to calculate how I could do it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of decisions and repetition.

I played Pro Golf once at WBC. I see no need to play it again.

Not a board game, but the first factor explains why I don't play miniatures with my miniature-loving friends. The decision-to-time ratio is just abysmal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin Adventure Time. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd probably give it another chance unless it was really dull
2. Lack of meaningful non-obvious decisions (or two or more of repetition, lots of calculations, fiddly component movement, long play time)
3. Probably take a break, I might try playing with different people if I had the chance.
4. Jamaica - played twice, doesn't seem to have many meaningful non-obvious decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrotiri bored my wife and I to tears. We looked forward to it a great deal and admired the subtle market economy and lovely art... then we spent the whole game plodding over portage connections and designing a map that was neither interesting nor efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Majestic Tale of) An Idiot With a Box
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set - I wanted to like this game sooo much, but it was just so repetitive and boring. It ended up feeling like Advanced Munchkin.

Draco Magi - Another one that seemed like a good idea, but it ended up being an exercise in "who cares?" Nothing about this game grabbed me (beyond the art) and made me care in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder immediately sprang to mind. (Sorry KB fans!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E Stories bored me. It reminded me of a chose your own adventure book in that choices didn't really seem like they mattered. For me and my group Legends of Andor was a much better story telling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. After 100 plays, in about a year, because my wife's family loved the game so much Splendor just became a game I had to just avoid. Walking away from it, and limiting myself to a couple of plays, in a session a month actually reinvigorated the game for me. The same thing applied for Dominion, except I can play this a tonne in a month, and take a month off, now and it stays fresh for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll is kind of confusing, as "I hate this game!" and "This game is boring." are equivalent to me. If I hate a game, it's often because I found it boring.

4. Carcassonne. So boring! What is it about this game that people actually enjoy?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is a perfect example of this for me. There was nothing wrong with it except that I never cared about anything I had to decide on. I was never excited to make a good decision or disappointed to realize I'd made a mistake. I just wanted it to be over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
Blott wrote:

Porta Nigra. A perfectly acceptable game that failed to provide me any reason to play it a second time.

As with most games that strike me this way, I'm not unwilling to play it a second time, but I won't seek out a second play, so unless someone else really wants to play it - I just won't see it again.

What made you feel this way about porta nigra? I've played it probably 20 times all told, and I still enjoy the hell out of it. The race for the set cards and juicy spots, and trying to out think your opponents is great with experienced players, and with casual players it's just a quick playing, fun game that looks great on the table. Definitely never have found myself bored in this one, maybe I could see it happening in a 4p game with massive AP issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-4 Wow, so many. I'll go with Courtier. And I did give it a 2nd try, still found it too dull for how long a game it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is too-little-randomness available for a reason to be boring, but not too-much-randomness? I'm more likely to find a too-random game (e.g. the traditional card game War) boring than a zero-randomness game (e.g. Go).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I found my first and so far only play of Boxcars to be less that optimal. After the third or fourth round I had a pretty good idea who would win. A few rounds later that player seemed even further ahead. I felt like I was playing Monopoly with a couple of low value scattered properties against opponents who had monopolies and would soon be developing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.