$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 73.82

5,056 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Easiest way to add a fifth hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As an owner of City of the Ancients I was just wondering, what's the easiest/cheapest way for me to add a fifth player? In the UK, as far as I know, they haven't released the hero expansions.

Could I just just duplicate one of the 4 I have and give them different starting cards perhaps?

Ideally i'd like to use the preacher, but that'd involve building his own custom deck of cards which looks to be impossible.

Are there any custom made heroes people recommend?

Thanks for the help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes aren't exclusive. More than one player can play hero XYZ. You could effectively have a whole party of Saloon Girls if you wanted. That's why a lot of "character sheets" you see in the files section have you write everything down. You take the card (starting gear, starting skill, etc) and write it on your sheet, then return to the deck it came from.

As for duplicating the Preacher, same thing. Just write down which sermons he's learned, instead of retaining the cards. He doesn't really need the cards, just the text on the cards.

-shnar
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Heroes aren't exclusive. More than one player can play hero XYZ. You could effectively have a whole party of Saloon Girls if you wanted. That's why a lot of "character sheets" you see in the files section have you write everything down. You take the card (starting gear, starting skill, etc) and write it on your sheet, then return to the deck it came from.

As for duplicating the Preacher, same thing. Just write down which sermons he's learned, instead of retaining the cards. He doesn't really need the cards, just the text on the cards.

-shnar

This.

For Preachers, if they don't want to write down the effect of each card, have them sit next to each other. All duplicate Sermon cards can be kept between them. They'll probably want to do different things anyway (I know I wouldn't want a carbon copy build), so it might end up being just Faith Healing that they share.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Isn't the Preacher from Swamps?

Simplest way to add a 5th: duplicate a class of your choice.
Next simplest way: grab a fan variant from BGG.
If you want the preacher: grab Swamps.
If I'm wrong about the Preacher in Swamps and you just want other options: grab Swamps.

Swamps is probably the best investment with a new world, lots of additional cards (darkness, dread, items, artifacts) and four additional heroes. The monster selection isn't as good as some of the individual packs, but otherwise it's excellent!

Then jump into the madness and pick up the rest of the add-ons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roper
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few new classes left over from gencon are also available at flying frog. They might not last long though.

http://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
Isn't the Preacher from Swamps?

Simplest way to add a 5th: duplicate a class of your choice.
Next simplest way: grab a fan variant from BGG.
If you want the preacher: grab Swamps.
If I'm wrong about the Preacher in Swamps and you just want other options: grab Swamps.

Swamps is probably the best investment with a new world, lots of additional cards (darkness, dread, items, artifacts) and four additional heroes. The monster selection isn't as good as some of the individual packs, but otherwise it's excellent!

Then jump into the madness and pick up the rest of the add-ons.


Thanks for the responses guys. I don't own Swamps (I do have Caverns of Cynder, Frontier Town plus a couple of enemy expansions) so getting the Preacher officially would be expensive, but I aim to buy it one day. RE the other hero packs, trying to get stuff shipped over to the UK from the flying frog website is too much of an expensive ball-ache unfortunately.

I was hoping to perhaps just copy the stats for the Preacher from an image on here, but getting all his other details may prove too much of a challenge.

I'd happily just have, say, two showgirls on the team, but would much rather give each player a unique role.

I'll start researching custom made heroes on BGG, but in the meantime, anyone have any good recommendations?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Tibbitts
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Best thing to do is to break down and buy the swamps, you'll be glad you did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy one of the preview heroes from FF's store. The Prospector isn't bad if you want a melee hero. You could also xerox the cards and put multiple of the same type, just give them different names. Good western minis can be had from Reaper (and cheap too). The Preview heroes come with their own minis though.

Buying the second box is probably a good idea if you can afford it.

Third option is the War Chief on BGG. He seems to be an interesting generalist melee hero that you can download and print for free. Again Reaper is a place you can get native american minis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
the_bengine wrote:
rpvt wrote:
Isn't the Preacher from Swamps?

Simplest way to add a 5th: duplicate a class of your choice.
Next simplest way: grab a fan variant from BGG.
If you want the preacher: grab Swamps.
If I'm wrong about the Preacher in Swamps and you just want other options: grab Swamps.

Swamps is probably the best investment with a new world, lots of additional cards (darkness, dread, items, artifacts) and four additional heroes. The monster selection isn't as good as some of the individual packs, but otherwise it's excellent!

Then jump into the madness and pick up the rest of the add-ons.


Thanks for the responses guys. I don't own Swamps (I do have Caverns of Cynder, Frontier Town plus a couple of enemy expansions) so getting the Preacher officially would be expensive, but I aim to buy it one day. RE the other hero packs, trying to get stuff shipped over to the UK from the flying frog website is too much of an expensive ball-ache unfortunately.

I was hoping to perhaps just copy the stats for the Preacher from an image on here, but getting all his other details may prove too much of a challenge.

I'd happily just have, say, two showgirls on the team, but would much rather give each player a unique role.

I'll start researching custom made heroes on BGG, but in the meantime, anyone have any good recommendations?



My personal preferences for fan heroes are the Huckster and the Occultist, in that order. I like magic, interesting mechanics and the capability of utility and combat mixed together.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.