Subject: Storage for player pieces (Dollar Store solution!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other day, I found a great solution in the hardware section of my local dollar store (Dollar Tree). This perfectly holds all of the individual player pieces, making them easily accessible during play without having to dump them all out into a heap in front of you.

Edit: If you're looking closely, you can see that some roads slipped out of their slot into other sections, but that's a small price to pay, IMO.

I also found these containers that screw together (with one lid for the top one) to use for the resources. They are 1-inch diameter (about 25 mm, I think). The fit is a little tight for the cow resource, but otherwise perfect.

I just keep everything else in little baggies. I haven't played with these new solutions yet, but since dumping and sorting the player pieces is one of my biggest annoyances, this should help a lot. Anyway, that's what I've gone with. The box is still kind of messy and note remotely as nice as the person who had origami boxes for everything (so tidy!), but it should work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the dimensions of the organizer trays? They look to be about 3x5 inches, but I would like to confirm before I consider buying them.

Also, would a 5th organizer for the other bits fit in the box and leave enough space for the map tiles? I don't think it would if these are the size I expect, but don't want to make assumptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:
What are the dimensions of the organizer trays? They look to be about 3x5 inches, but I would like to confirm before I consider buying them.

Also, would a 5th organizer for the other bits fit in the box and leave enough space for the map tiles? I don't think it would if these are the size I expect, but don't want to make assumptions.

These are 7" long by 4 7/8" wide(incl. the hinge) by 7/8" tall.

I didn't think a fifth would fit--I wanted one but didn't buy one. However, after your question, I just did some fiddling, and you could easily fit 5.

Some notes: you could theoretically fit 8--four across the bottom, stacked two high--but that wouldn't leave room for much else besides some baggies of cards and the rules, Book of Worlds, etc.. With six, you would have room for the tiles and a few baggies of cards stood on end. However, I think 5 of these is the right amount. A 6th could hold the remaining chits, I think (factories, coins, etc), but I don't think that would be better than baggies for those.

I plan to put the following into the fifth one:
Orange pieces
Red pieces
the 30 goods covering tokens
the 6 Search tiles
And either the 3 dice OR the Trolley Movement tiles (probably the dice because the trolley tiles are a tighter fit, I'd rather have them with the trolley cards in a baggie, and the dice would only be used with the red militia pieces, so they'd all be together).

I'll try to post pics of my organization (5th tray, and box overall) later. I need to hope by dollar store still has one of those trays left!

Edit: I also have two plastic trays of mini poker chips I use instead of the paper money. My current organization allows for those AND the paper money (it's hard for me to throw out game bits, even if they're useless). Without those chips, you may be able to fit all of the cards on end pretty easily with 6 trays, if you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.