Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Best Set Up for 2P Agricola? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoy Agricola as a 2P game and I was wondering if there are some suggested set ups that play really good with 2 players? We have the Farmers of the Moor expansion but have never used it and we have the Belgium Deck, WC Deck, and all the ones that came with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murtagh
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My wife and I have played (literally) hundreds of games of Agricola, and we always play Farmers of the Moor and would highly recommend it! (Most of the time we play with just the EKI decks). For occasional spice you can use all the cards (not just the ones for 1 or 2 players) but beware, doing that can definitely through off the balance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Moose wrote:
My wife and I have played (literally) hundreds of games of Agricola, and we always play Farmers of the Moor and would highly recommend it! (Most of the time we play with just the EKI decks). For occasional spice you can use all the cards (not just the ones for 1 or 2 players) but beware, doing that can definitely through off the balance!

Do you draft the Occupations/Minor Improvements or just deal out 7 each. The last few times we played we deal out 10 each and you keep 7, that seems to go faster than any type of draft. Are you mixing in all the new cards from Farmers of the Moor with the ones from the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Mr Moose wrote:

Do you draft the Occupations/Minor Improvements or just deal out 7 each. The last few times we played we deal out 10 each and you keep 7, that seems to go faster than any type of draft. Are you mixing in all the new cards from Farmers of the Moor with the ones from the base game?

Don't mean to butt in, but yes, you absolutely should deal out a selection of "FotM" Minors with whatever base/additional decks you're using, since the "FotM" cards mostly affect the various elements of "FotM" (i.e. horses, heating, etc.) With a 10/7 pare-down draft, for instance, I would deal out at least five of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play Farmers of the Moor. We always draft with a mix of cards from FotM (say 3/7 or 4/7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Ingelstam
Sweden
flag msg tools
We have fotm but so far prefer the base game. However we have not tried yet to play fotm with occupations and a selection of some base game minors. That will be interesting to try, but i fear for dilution.
However just a tip, we always play base game with the "take 2 of any building resource" card action. We find we usually only use it 1-3 times per game, but its more fun since you cannot be completely starved of something, and lets you get some stone early if you need it. We find ut adds just a little flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Shayko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played nearly 1000 games of Agricola 2-player and have probably played the last 100 with FOtM. We started with a 4 non-farmer 3 farmer breakdown and we personally thought that was too much farmer minors. Rather, it was not enough of the non-farmers. We play with an odd fantasy draft hybrid draft that I made up that works like this

You get 4 Occ and 4 minors (1 FoTM) of which you keep 3 and 3. Then we have a fantasy football style draft to determine the other 6 cards we each get.

10 Occupations put on the table, loser of the last game gets 1st pick. 2nd player gets pick 2 & 3. 1st 4 & 5. 2nd 6 & 7. 1st 8.

After that we do the same thing with minors, which we use 4 FotM minors. We reverse who picks first for these.

We like this method as it combines the benefits of secret cards with some public knowledge cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gomeril Gnak
msg tools
Try what we dubbed kolchos. Farmers of the moor, four player variant, and both players get two farms. You distribute all occupations and aquisitions on both farms, getting more interesting combinations. Turns have to alternate between the teams so you that you can't pass cards from one of your farms to the other - that would be to powerful. The score of both farms is added, so you can't have one farm champion and one supporting cast. I like this much more than the two-player variant. Combination building reduces the luck factor and you have the challenge to coordinate and not to block one of your own farms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Gomeril wrote:
Try what we dubbed kolchos. Farmers of the moor, four player variant, and both players get two farms. You distribute all occupations and aquisitions on both farms, getting more interesting combinations. Turns have to alternate between the teams so you that you can't pass cards from one of your farms to the other - that would be to powerful. The score of both farms is added, so you can't have one farm champion and one supporting cast. I like this much more than the two-player variant. Combination building reduces the luck factor and you have the challenge to coordinate and not to block one of your own farms.

I think taking the lowest score from each category on both of the team farms would also make for an interesting game. This way, a farm can't score by itself in a category while the other ignores it (which happens when summing the scores), they both need to score for it to count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.