Subject: How would you define each of these levels of theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than post there where I first saw this (since the OP there is asking us to rate his games, as opposed to discussing the actual categories as I've posted here), I figured I may as well make a separate thread.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1623330/lend-hand-how-t...

Dripping with theme
Fairly thematic
Mildly thematic
Pasted on theme
No theme I can see

Dripping with theme
very hard or impossible to retheme as another game.

Fairly thematic
Theme integrates VERY WELL with the game, and adds to the game on a whole extra level.

Mildly thematic
The theme helps explains why you're doing certain things (other than because "that's the rules"), and some of the cards and text will make more "logical sense".

Pasted on theme
Even without the theme, the game would still play as well as it does.

No theme I can see
Abstracts where components were never tied to anything in real life.
GIMPF, Dimension (shown)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dripping with theme
There's some kind of viscous thematic green liquid dripping off the game box. Keep away or it may begin to effect your perception of reality or the nature of reality itself. Consider burning it and/or disposing as hazardous waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More seriously:

Fairly thematic
Anything where the theme integrates well with the game. I'd put Race for the Galaxy in this category.
Mildly thematic
Something like Lost Cities where you can see why they picked that theme but the game would probably work with another theme or none at all.
Pasted on theme
More of a design methodology than a description of how much theme a game has. "Paste like you mean it" to misquote Wei-Hwa Huang. I know what people mean by this though - I'd consider Priests of Ra in this category.
No theme I can see
Abstracts with no theme (e.g. Go, but not Chess, that has a bit of theme)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Dripping with theme
There's some kind of viscous thematic green liquid dripping off the game box. Keep away or it may begin to effect your perception of reality or the nature of reality itself. Consider burning it and/or disposing as hazardous waste.
The game's theme can literally kill you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.