Popular Tags: [View All]
Elias Charalambides
United States
Acton
MA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
So my gaming group is almost always 5 people. We generally play boardgames and I think I'm the only person in the group to have wargaming experience.

I would really like to introduce everyone to wargames but we just don't have the time not to mention every single wargame I can think of is really designed for 2 people.

I imagine Battlemasters as the perfect intro to wargaming as its so simple and quick to play, though its still only for 2 people.

What follows is my attempt at making Battlemasters a multiplayer game.

A few thing would be needed:
- Take 5 sets of number 2-10 cards from 2 decks of playing cards. Each player gets one set. This represents their starting order bids.
- Enough miniatures to give each player 60points (based upon classic Battlemasters point values) worth of choice in minis from a single faction. I have 3 sets of battlemasters minis but I think 2 sets would be enough. You could of course use proxy models.
- An army deck for each player. Only Empire for empire player and chaos for chaos. You can print them out 3 copies from the files section and just divide them up that way.
- A deck of my "Special Action Cards"
- Anything that can mark 5 deployment zones for a player. I have added mine below. Mine have an "Active" side and a "inactive side".

I'll be testing this out soon but I wanted to know what everyone thought!

Thanks for looking!!

RULES:

Special Action Cards:

Deployment Zone Markers:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas!

--

Team game: My initial thought would have been to simply divide players into teams (3 vs 2) and give each player exclusive control of particular unit types of their team's army. Sort of like:

Chaos team:
player 1 controls goblins and wolves
player 2 controls archers and orcs
player 3 controls everything else

Empire team:
player 1 controls knights and archers
player 2 controls everything else

And then simply use the existing rules as written.

--

Asymmetrical game: An alternative idea would be an asymmetrical king-of-the-hill game similar to tower defence games, or more accurately like Fortress America. One player would command a sizable force (probably Empire) in the middle of the table, and the other 4 players are invaders (likely Chaos) that set up smaller forces on each map edge. The invaders would obviously gang up on the Empire guy in the middle for a bit, but since there can be only one winner, there is a natural tendancy for conflict between invaders as well.

The defender would start with a huge force but never get reinforcements, while each invader could get reinforcements in some way (either automatic or in lieu of taking a turn). The game would have a turn limit, after which the owner of the central tower would be declared the winner.

The Chaos invaders might draft their starting armies from the pool of all Chaos units, and all casualties would go back into the pool to serve as reinforcements. That way all Chaos players could draw from the same universal deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Charalambides
United States
Acton
MA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks for the feedback Ironregime.

I thought about doing team variants but people in my game group tend to get more satisfaction from not having to share the role of commander. Our first game was a team game in fact, and while they did enjoy it I wanted to give each person as much of a true feeling of controlling his own army as possible.

The asymmetric one may be an interesting choice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you DjaliRiot and chadnorth !
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
Interesting ideas!

--

Team game: My initial thought would have been to simply divide players into teams (3 vs 2) and give each player exclusive control of particular unit types of their team's army. Sort of like:

Chaos team:
player 1 controls goblins and wolves
player 2 controls archers and orcs
player 3 controls everything else

Empire team:
player 1 controls knights and archers
player 2 controls everything else

And then simply use the existing rules as written.

Really like this! Gonna try one day when all's painted... in the year 2029...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.