$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 70.52

4,883 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.8% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Oracle of Delphi» Forums » General

Subject: The dice mechanism... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this is an auto buy for me, no matter what. However I'm a bit disappointed by the dice mechanism. As I was reading the rules I had this nagging feeling that it cannon be this simple And new at the same time.. I've seen it somewhere already.. And then it clicked - Castles of Burgundy!

Think about it. The only difference is that in Oracle you can change die values in one direction by using favor tokens (read "workers"), and in CoB - in both directions. And the number of dice is 3 vs 2. Oracle even has an action of taking two favor tokens with any die - identical to the CoB action of taking two workers with any die.

Don't get me wrong - this is a brilliant mechanism. I'm just a bit upset that Feld did not come up with something new this time..

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
Don't get me wrong - this is a brilliant mechanism. I'm just a bit upset that Feld did not come up with something new this time..


With The Castles of Burgundy arguably his most popular title, can you really blame the guy? It's not like he's turning CoB into a small card or dice game... whistle
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you look at the wide variety of things dice are used for, you'll agree that this is, at the very least, an expansion of the mechanism from CoB. I know when I read the rules that the game turned out to be different than what I was expecting.

To be honest, the thing I'm a tiny bit concerned about is the level of resolution luck in the game. Fighting monsters might take you one attempt or it might take a half dozen--it all depends on how well you roll. Getting lucky when uncovering Island Tiles looks like it may also be a factor in winning. Obviously, I'll keep an open mind about this until I get to play the game, but it's not the kind of thing I expect to find in a Feld design.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
I think if you look at the wide variety of things dice are used for, you'll agree that this is, at the very least, an expansion of the mechanism from CoB. I know when I read the rules that the game turned out to be different than what I was expecting.

To be honest, the thing I'm a tiny bit concerned about is the level of resolution luck in the game. Fighting monsters might take you one attempt or it might take a half dozen--it all depends on how well you roll. Getting lucky when uncovering Island Tiles looks like it may also be a factor in winning. Obviously, I'll keep an open mind about this until I get to play the game, but it's not the kind of thing I expect for find in a Feld design.


I agree there is more luck in this game than other Feld's. But there are things to mitigate that luck.

With fighting, remember you are also lowering the threshold to beat a monster with each favor token, so really it shouldn't take too many attempts (unless you are very unlucky), also you can use Ares' god power.

The island tiles looks the most swingy to me, esp in a race game, but then again posiden's god power kinda mitigates that.

I'm still pretty excited about it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the similar dice mechanics to Burgundy, im just hoping it is a more viable 4 player game than Burgundy, which i feel is best at 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

To be honest, the thing I'm a tiny bit concerned about is the level of resolution luck in the game. Fighting monsters might take you one attempt or it might take a half dozen--it all depends on how well you roll. Getting lucky when uncovering Island Tiles looks like it may also be a factor in winning.


That is not luck. That is risk management. There are other ways to fight a monster. More secure ways. But they take more time or effort. Your choice. Don't blame the game if you took the risky way and fail.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
Don't blame the game if you took the risky way and fail.

Yes, but I will blame the game if I take the risky way and fail and you take the risky way and succeed! laugh I'm not saying it will keep me from loving the game, but the instance I just described can only be characterized as dumb luck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
odes spielekiste
Germany
Horstmar-Leer
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
but the instance I just described can only be characterized as dumb luck.


No. There is still a difference. You see, this is not Yatzee.

You can off course beat me in a game of DELPHI even if I take the risky way and succeed. If you choose to do so by going the risky way and fail, it is still not the fault of the game. You chose wrong, young Padawan! ;-)

What I want to say is: Taking the risky way and succeed does not guarantee the win. If that would be the case, I would agree with you. But that all is the point about risk management. To me it is a great element in games. (Not only in DELPHI...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game kinda comes across as Talisman meets Castles of Burgundy. I'm liking that.

The dice mechanic is sufficiently different IMHO. You roll dice then decide how to use them. The colour can be used for any action so long as you use it for an action that can be coded to that colour. It's clever, it's an iteration, it looks like it'll be fun.

I kinda like the inclusion of luck elements. Makes for a change.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts exactly!

Larry Levy wrote:
I think if you look at the wide variety of things dice are used for, you'll agree that this is, at the very least, an expansion of the mechanism from CoB. I know when I read the rules that the game turned out to be different than what I was expecting.

To be honest, the thing I'm a tiny bit concerned about is the level of resolution luck in the game. Fighting monsters might take you one attempt or it might take a half dozen--it all depends on how well you roll. Getting lucky when uncovering Island Tiles looks like it may also be a factor in winning. Obviously, I'll keep an open mind about this until I get to play the game, but it's not the kind of thing I expect for find in a Feld design.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dragos_br wrote:
My thoughts exactly!

Larry Levy wrote:
I think if you look at the wide variety of things dice are used for, you'll agree that this is, at the very least, an expansion of the mechanism from CoB. I know when I read the rules that the game turned out to be different than what I was expecting.

To be honest, the thing I'm a tiny bit concerned about is the level of resolution luck in the game. Fighting monsters might take you one attempt or it might take a half dozen--it all depends on how well you roll. Getting lucky when uncovering Island Tiles looks like it may also be a factor in winning. Obviously, I'll keep an open mind about this until I get to play the game, but it's not the kind of thing I expect for find in a Feld design.
Yes, there are some elements of luck in the game. But would it be a Hall Games title, when this elements were more important than strategic and tactic abilities? And what would that be for a Greek adventure game without some discoveries and fights!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:

The dice mechanic is sufficiently different IMHO. You roll dice then decide how to use them. The colour can be used for any action so long as you use it for an action that can be coded to that colour.


What you mention as different is actually the same as in Burgundy. See how I replace colors with numbers and apply this to Burgundy: You roll dice then decide how to use them. Numbers can be used for any action as long as you use it for an action that can be coded to that number.

These are the differences (really more like wrinkles) that I spotted so far:
- 3 dice instead of 2
- Adjust dice in one direction instead of 2
- Gods are color coded and each god has a unique ability. This makes every color a bit unique. There is no such thing in Burgundy.
- More ways to use dice as the game is simply more complex

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are making me more excited for this game. A more complex Burgundy? Yes please!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
This game kinda comes across as Talisman meets Castles of Burgundy. I'm liking that.


I haven't seen it or played it - I've only read some about it here. That said, I might throw Avalon Hill's Wizards into your comparison.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.