Subject: Flea Circus? Really? Is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cortnik
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to play this little game a number of times recently, so here is my review of it (Out of 10):

Theme: d10-8
When I first learned the title meant "Flea Circus" I was like, "...What?" But in reality, it is a very novel theme that made me interested in seeing what it was really all about. I think novel themes are few and far between now, so I appreciate this a lot. The game is not meant to be dripping in theme or mechanics, so a light and quirky theme works well here.

Artwork: d10-1d10-1
I may be in the minority here, but I LOVE everything about the art. The "old time" circus acts, the humerous types of acts, the various creative circus fonts on the cards, the striped graphic design on the cards, and yes, even the flea heads! Again, the artwork is bold, but novel as well. I understand the old version had cartoon-like art, which I'm personally not a fan of. This, though, I could just stare and admire all day! Also, the cards feel great and are sturdy.

Mechanics: d10-8
For what this game is, it does what it is supposed to do. The press-your-luck aspect is enough the keep the card flipping interesting and tense. There is also a balance between which cards to take, leave for your opponents, which ones to use in a trio and which ones to save for a gala show. It's just a lot of simple fun!

Overall: d10-9
Some may be surprised with this rating, but for what the game is supposed to be, it knocks it out of the park. It's a great filler, or a game for the end of a long day or gaming session. It plays great with all number of players, and the turns are fast. Every card flipped over and taken by other players matters to you. I cannot recommend this enough for what it is. Now, I may be a bit biased because I am a huge Reiner Knizia fan, so take that for what it is.

Circus Flohcati is quick, tense, and for some reason just plain fun! Go get some fleas and have a show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I love the Grail Games edition art. Unfortunately for me the game plays too quickly for me. It's usually over in 5 minutes and for whatever reason microgame length games just aren't my thing. I'll play if someone asks, but I don't ever want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you on the art. I really like it and think it's not only unique but cool looking. The only thing I am not a fan of is the different fonts they chose for the numbers. I would have been happier with one consistent number font across all the cards.

SuperGLS wrote:
I love the Grail Games edition art. Unfortunately for me the game plays too quickly for me. It's usually over in 5 minutes and for whatever reason microgame length games just aren't my thing. I'll play if someone asks, but I don't ever want to play.

Wow. Five minutes seems really quick to me. I admit I don't time my games but that feels too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on that seems fast. Its usually a 30 minute game for 4 players.

Are you sure you've read the end condition rules correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We often play this at the end of a game session, when someone wants one more quick game. It usually plays in 15 or 20 minutes for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I checked with the friend I played with the other night, he said the games lasted about 8-10 minutes. It doesn't seem hard to end the game early with a gala. These were three player games. I've only ever played with two or three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.