Support:

Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This review is part of my attempt to review as many co-op games as I can. All of my reviews are in the geeklist A Crazy Couple's Co-op Guide: 2013 and onward Edition

Our rating:

Addictive? thumbsdown

Long Term Replayability: thumbsup

Skill Factor: 3 A lot of die rolling, but there's a good dose of skill as well.

Modes: Co-op
The game is based around using all 4 assassins. It should be quite easy to control all four even as one player. You can also just control one assassin; that is even a suggested "achievement", but it is going to be a lot harder!

Players: 2-4

With a couple: To play normally you will need to play 2 assassins each (easy to do). Or you can make it a lot harder by just playing one each.

Play Time: around 1 hour

Difficulty: Tense but not too hard to beat.

Individual/Group Play: Tends toward planning as a group.

Component Quality:

The minis are excellent, with a lot of detail. However, they all require assembly. The assassins and sorcerer lord will likely be a significant modeling challenge to people without miniature experience. And the models are all in a boring gray, so you probably want to paint them.
The board and tiles are thick and the colors are great.
The event cards are less impressive; a lot of text and no art.

Rules Quality:
Functional and generally clear. The rulebook has a lot of illustrations and there are good references on the back cover. The character cards for the assassins and the chaos forces are detailed and clear.

Chaos forces and their cards

Mini-Review
GW takes a break from stand-up fights to put you in command of a group of deadly assassins racing to infiltrate the command center of a sinister chaos sorcerer and destroy him before he completes a ritual that threatens the galaxy.

The assassins must search through corridors and rooms to find the teleporter and controls needed to access the main lair. The main board is static, but tiles are randomly drawn to fill it.

Player turns are straightforward; you get actions to move around and attack, with each character having a card showing how many dice you get to roll on an attack and describing special abilities.

Because this is a game of infiltration, the enemy pieces start off unaware of the assassin. Guards wander around on semi-predictable/semi-random routes. If they spot an assassin, they become active and will chase you down and attack - and sound an alarm, resulting in more dangerous event cards being drawn!

To avoid this, you can sneak past guards, circle behind them - and of course stealthily eliminate them before they raise the alarm!

The game is quick to set-up and fast to play. There's luck in the die rolls, but also a lot of real decisions about when to hide, when to attack, and where to explore. The tension ramps up as time runs out, and you must constantly balance moving quickly with the need not to alert too many guards.

Each assassin has a unique feel, and each one has limited use abilities that you need to judge carefully when to use.

There's a great feel of being both incredibly powerful and very vulnerable. You can easily eliminate guards left and right, but get caught out in the open by a cultist and a lucky shot could easily kill you. You can easily heal wounds - but that takes an action, and the race against time is tight and every action is precious!

I think the mix of stealth and combat is really well done. The game is tense, exciting and fun to play.

The only real complaint I have with the game-play is that there's not much variety; aside from the sorcerer, you only encounter 3 different types of enemies, and the board layout doesn't change much. Because of this, I think it's more fun for occasional play than for playing a lot in a row.

The only real complaint I have outside the gameplay is that Sorcerer lord, once assembled, doesn't fit back in the box, much less fitting back in with any sort of padding!

Also, this is game aimed at modelers and miniature enthusiasts. If you aren't into the miniature aspect, it is probably too pricey for the game-play, and the models won't look nearly as good unless you are willing to paint them.

LuisJoey is clearly an awesome painter!

If you are into the miniature aspect and don't mind the price, this is a gorgeous and exciting game that provides a different co-op experience from a lot of the usual fare.

Negatives
* Lots of assembly required.
* Possible player elimination.
* Low variety.
* Doesn't all fit back in the box!
* Only 1 female PC out of 4.

Positives
* Tense and thematic. I really think this one knocks it out of the park with the stealth and race against time elements.
* Fast to set up and play.
* Easy to learn and teach.
* Looks fantastic.
* If you are into painting, the models are great and look fantastic (even with my bad paint jobs)!
* The different assassins are distinguished with a few abilities that create strong differences.

Images thanks to the BGG Gallery and keithymonster, jfc1005, fatmax66 and LuisJoey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

The only real complaint I have with the game-play is that there's not much variety; aside from the sorcerer, you only encounter 3 different types of enemies, and the board layout doesn't change much. Because of this, I think it's more fun for occasional play than for playing a lot in a row.

I found the opposite when I included the optional challenges. They really ramped up the difficulty, and I found myself playing over and over to try and win some really tough challenges. For me, those extra challenges really increased the replayability and made it a game that I wanted to play over and over.

Thanks for the positive review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I found the opposite when I included the optional challenges. They really ramped up the difficulty, and I found myself playing over and over to try and win some really tough challenges. For me, those extra challenges really increased the replayability and made it a game that I wanted to play over and over.

Hmm...I've kind of ignored the challenges. They look like "achievement" type things, which I'm just not into. Maybe I'll have to check them out more once I get to that point.

This game has been sitting unplayed as I've been getting the minis painted and assembled (after a few games played with unpainted minis trying to stop one leg of a chaos sorcerer). Really looking forward to getting it back to the table, and I've got some ideas kicking around for adding some other chaos creatures and Eldar assassins teaming up with the Imperial ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Hmm...I've kind of ignored the challenges. They look like "achievement" type things, which I'm just not into. Maybe I'll have to check them out more once I get to that point.

This game has been sitting unplayed as I've been getting the minis painted and assembled (after a few games played with unpainted minis trying to stop one leg of a chaos sorcerer). Really looking forward to getting it back to the table, and I've got some ideas kicking around for adding some other chaos creatures and Eldar assassins teaming up with the Imperial ones.

Sounds cool! Don't write the achievements off just yet...for me they proved to be the best part of the game and added a lot of tension. A fair warning though...be prepared to lose. a. lot. in an effort to complete them! If that sort of thing is appealing, where the losses mount up but eventually you can raise your fist in triumph, then you will probably love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Glad to hear you are enjoying this one after you were disappointed with Warhammer Quest.

The challenges are a little stroke of genius here, and add a lot more replayability than I first thought. It is fun to combine them in different ways to create distinct challenges, and the option to incrementally up the difficulty to find the point that is just right for your group is excellent.

Have you downloaded the extra content from GW at http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/downloads.html (more challenges, and a new demon boss)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.