Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Define: Adjacent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: answer_in_the_rulebook [+] [View All]
Jesse F
United States
California
flag msg tools
In the rules it says that the police can search for clues or make an arrest on an adjacent number to where a police pawn is located. In the example given in the rule book it seems to me (but is not all that clear) that adjacent means immediately next to a crossing. That would mean that if there is another crossing (black square) between the current location of a police pawn and a number then that number would be ineligible to be searched for clues on that turn.

Am I getting the rule right? I see a lot of videos of people playing where they are searching numbers for clues two or even three spaces away and that does not seem thematic to me and also gives the police an unfair advantage. How could a police office search for clues or make an arrest on a number that could be in some cases two blocks away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
You are correct In the example on page 17 of the rulebook, you can see (via the white glowy circle) that the policeman is located on a crossing immediately adjacent to 120, 99, and 100 and so can search for clues in all of those spaces. He cannot search 83 because a crossing is in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LAKingsGeek wrote:
In the rules it says that the police can search for clues or make an arrest on an adjacent number to where a police pawn is located. In the example given in the rule book it seems to me (but is not all that clear) that adjacent means immediately next to a crossing. That would mean that if there is another crossing (black square) between the current location of a police pawn and a number then that number would be ineligible to be searched for clues on that turn.

Am I getting the rule right? I see a lot of videos of people playing where they are searching numbers for clues two or even three spaces away and that does not seem thematic to me and also gives the police an unfair advantage. How could a police office search for clues or make an arrest on a number that could be in some cases two blocks away?

The circle must be immediately adjacent. See the rules on page 16

Quote:
Both types of actions can be undertaken in the numbered circles adjacent to that policeman pawn (i.e., in the numbered circles directly connected by dotted lines to the crossing where the policeman pawn is located). There cannot be an intervening crossing on the dotted line connecting the crossing the policeman pawn is on and the circle he wants to search for clues or make an arrest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse F
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you both! Bought the game but haven't played it yet. Wanted to make sure i got this rule right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes and you are also correct in that a number of YouTube videos got this rule wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely played this rule incorrect. For us, this makes it even harder for police, since even when we were allowing police to make guesses that shouldnt have been allowed, there still werent any close calls. Ive only just started playing this, but my god how in the world can the police win this lol ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
how in the world can the police win this lol ???

The rushing variant, where an investigator may move an additional space instead of searching for clues or making an arrest, goes a long way towards balancing the game. I also play with the house rule that if Jack walks home on his first move of night 4, the investigators get to take their turn. Oh, and of course Jack's hideout is random. I've played 100+ times and found the game reasonably balanced with these tweaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.