Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
I'm always looking for social games, for fun with friends and family. I know of modern social card games like Bohnanza, Wizard/Skull King etc but would like to know which of the more traditional card games are also quite social, even noisy. Traditional games like Spades, Canasta etc, not that those are social (i've never played them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote Euchre. Four-player or six-player. With Midwest roots our family has enjoyed it for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Euchre because of teams. Might I also suggest Nerts... best classic card game out there. Social in a sense, but everyone is too busy slapping cards down and yelling at each other for light conversation. Tons of fun though. Can play with as many people as fit at a table as long as you have enough card decks. Oh, also Bull/BS. Plays with a standard deck. All about lying to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
Soleia wrote:
Social in a sense, but everyone is too busy slapping cards down and yelling at each other for light conversation.

I really wasn't thinking of people being able to have a nice chat, like some of those games you can play on auto. Social means the game carries its own 'conversation', rather than people sitting in near silence. Yelling is just fine, though my experience of Racing Demon/nerts is just slapping noises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I think much of it depends on your group, but Poker (Texas Hold 'Em is my favourite variant) is pretty social

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want noise in a traditional card game?

Pit

Full stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
rmanning wrote:
You want noise in a traditional card game?

Pit

Full stop.

Can you play that with a standard deck? I had thought of it as a modern game but I see it's older than canasta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of -- was that what was meant by "traditional"? -- the deck is suits of grains (one per player), the bear and bull cards are optional; so a standard deck could be used (reduced to 9 cards per suit) for up to 4 players, or three decks (where a "grain suit" is the card valus, e.g., the 9 Aces, the 9 Kings, etc.) and only one suit from the third deck is used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Uno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I think much of it depends on your group, but Poker (Texas Hold 'Em is my favourite variant) is pretty social

Poker tournaments are probably the most anti-social of all card games. Traditional poker, I agree: very social indeed.

In general, any game with changing partnerships tends to be highly social. Give Tarock a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Oliveira
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Brazil most people socialize by playing Truco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheepshead is a really fun trick taking game like Euchre, but I personally feel it is more social. In the 5 player version, you team up with different players each round, which usually keeps people on friendly terms.

The hard part is finding players. The game is very popular around Milwaukee in the USA, but practically unheard of elsewhere in the states. Supposedly a similar popularity bubble forms in the Bravarian part of Germany, and then disappears quickly. But if you can find 3-5 people who would learn it with you, it could be frequent request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 euchre and poker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
Soleia wrote:
Social in a sense, but everyone is too busy slapping cards down and yelling at each other for light conversation.

I really wasn't thinking of people being able to have a nice chat, like some of those games you can play on auto. Social means the game carries its own 'conversation', rather than people sitting in near silence. Yelling is just fine, though my experience of Racing Demon/nerts is just slapping noises.

Haha, you clearly haven't played it with my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shithead or Bullshit are both tense - if a little raucous - games played with a traditional deck of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.