Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~Deranged Review~

Hello! Welcome to this Deranged Review. Please sit down, as I regale you with more Tales of Little Deranged.

We don't have Candy Land here in the United Provinces of Tulipstan. I've never seen one. We're also sorely lacking in both Snakes and Ladders, so we have to make do with Gooseboarding (#1).

We also do not go fishing; we expect a little more skill from our children. For more on Black Pete (the game, not the acrobat/clown/servant/spy people seem to be so confused about), see my future review on that (#2). No sir! We play Kwartet!

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, such as discussed here.
For ART, I look at the big picture, and how that picture looks. EASE covers ease of play and learning curve, FLEXIBILITY covers the amount of free will you have and is therefore linked to replayability. FUN might be deceptive, as it's a gut thang, but I'll try and specify in the text, and COMPONENTS should be self-explanatory. I'll not say a lot about rules and specifics - you can find those out for yourself.

The Game Itself: Go Fish+
Ask for cards. Receive/draw. Complete set. Win!

Quote:
As many of you mightn't be as familiar with the Game of Quartetts as people over here are, here's a short rundown of the differences between it and Go Fish.

For starters, kwartet is almost never played with regular cards, but with special sets denoting several specific sets of four, which are all mentioned on the cards themselves. So in the kwartet of boardgames, the set of kids' games could consist of Candy Land, Quartett, Animal Upon Animal and Memory(#3). Now don't you ga asking around for kids' games as that won't do you any good: you'll need to ask for Candyland, specifically. And only if you hold one of the others. So if the other does not hold Candyland (possibly because you have it, you sneaky bugger), you pass the turn and draw a card. Otherwise you get to continue to ask for all the cards you want, until you inevitably fail and the next player picks your hand apart.
Any complete set is immediately placed open upon the table. Playing continues until all cards in the pile are gone. The player with the most sets wins.

When I was little, we had several sets available to us. We've spent many an hour playing this game at home, and had an occasional round at school, in the bus, or at birthdays. This game dominated large parts of my childhood, although my last game's been years ago. I have (among others) the version shown up there on the right, with the Utrecht Coat of Arms on it. It's the red and white thing with the lions. Do cities even have their own such coat of arms in America? Just curious. A sample card is this big picture to the right. Oh, and that church tower? It's a 112.5 meters high and well over 600 years old.

ART
-The art of your general run-of-the-mill quartett game - which I'll be referring to from here on as kwartet as I really do not wish to have to look up the spelling once every paragraph - is done pretty well. There's certainly no standard as there are hundreds, no, thousands of different kwartetspellen available. I have two myself; one ancient version from around 1970 (although I've held one from around 1930), and a later version from about 1982 about my homecity, Utrecht.

I've seen many a set of kwartet-cards, with animals, popular cartoon characters, cars, horses, kittens, popular real life characters, cities, buildings... the art is usually okay, if not stellar.

I've tried to add a few box fronts to this review to show the breadth of options available, which might make this review slightly hard to read at extreme resolutions, so sorry for that . I've been rearranging for a long time now, and it looks fine on my screen at least .

EASE
-It's a kids game. About 99.5% of all people here have played it as a kid, although I can't speak for other countries.

It's pretty easy, yes, although there's still some tricks to abuse once you know the basic game.

FLEXIBILITY
-Yeah, there's really not much to work with here.

FUN
-And admittedly, it's not all that much fun either. It's usually a game you play with kids, and has a bit too much randomness in it to actually enjoy it, although kwartetsets about a certain topic could be fun to play.

Well, could be fun during play, at the least.

COMPONENTS - - - - -
-There's really no telling how well-made the components will be.

Pro's
It can be made about any topic!
There's nearly always one near.

Con's
It will be made about every topic!
It's just not all that much fun or rewarding. For adults.

End result:
Kwartetspellen are so ubiquitous that most people over here are bored with them. Add in the fact that there's so little depth or fun to be had, and that it's firmly stuck in the board-game ghetto and chances are you won't get people to play it.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

It does offer a memory component, some deduction and chance analysis, and of course the chance to learn something about the subject matter at hand. So it's not really a bad game, it's just that it's a stepping stone from so far back that it seems to be in line with the surface. So bring a copy to some little lads and lasses, and see the spark of gaming take hold ^^.

As usual, please give your opinion in the comments .

Oh, by the way, I am Deranged. I like to have fun with (and around) boardgames, and have played many of them over the years. I've been furniture in my FLGS for years ^^. I tend to like old games; well, I tend to like good games, most of which have been around for bit ^^. I've written 78 reviews as of yet, which you can access here, and a handful of random topics discussed here. If you want me to write a review for you or recommend me a game, there's this neat little envelop near my avatar!

googoo

#1: Which sounds a bit like the next big extreme sport.
#2: Because it's not been written yet, silly.
#3: With each of the four games mentioned on each of the four cards, so you'll know what to ask for - and possibly a short description of the game so featured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.