Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like several other folks, I've come to the conclusion that the problem with this game isn't the randomness or the lightness of the tactical decision making, but rather the lack of tension and urgency.

You have to get the gems to win, but since there is no time limit you have as long as you need to do so. This allows you to clean up the board at leisure, thus ensuring that six haunts never appear.

I feel like this game could be saved with some kind of timer, whether a turn limit or perhaps a "finish before x number of reshuffles" requirement (although that would probably be too random, as reshuffles can easily come up on your first or second card draw.)

Just wondering if anyone feels the same and perhaps has some cool ideas for a timing mechanism (I was even thinking about something similar to the threat track from Runebound, which has an element of randomness tempered by an increasing probability to trigger game end as time drags on.)

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game edition, but my understanding is that it is basically the same game. And I only played once, but I have also watched a runthrough or two.

With a new ghost being placed on almost every player's turn, they pile up. You can't possibly remove one ghost per player turn...I would think an average of one every 5 turns might be a more realistic expectation. With ghost accumulating, so will haunts. That's your clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is, you can completely ignore getting gems and focus on keeping haunts under control. The lack of a time limit means you can take as long as you like fighting ghosts and haunts, thereby keeping defeat at bay.

Put another way -- yes, the accumulation of ghosts is a clock, but it's a clock you can turn backwards as often as you like with no penalty.

Edit - should have added that while you do have to eventually get all the gems to win, there is no sense of urgency to do so. So you can grab a couple, fight ghosts for as long as you need to, grab a couple more, fight ghosts, etc. I felt no tension in my games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
The problem is, you can completely ignore getting gems and focus on keeping haunts under control. The lack of a time limit means you can take as long as you like fighting ghosts and haunts, thereby keeping defeat at bay.

But that assumes you can get ahead of the ghosts. You would have to eliminate at least roughly one ghost per player turn, since roughly one ghost per turn gets added. Even if you're always in position to fight a ghost, you will often fail. So from what I have seen, you couldn't get ahead.

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Magnus Maximus wrote:

But that assumes you can get ahead of the ghosts. You would have to eliminate at least roughly one ghost per player turn, since roughly one ghost per turn gets added. Even if you're always in position to fight a ghost, you will often fail. So from what I have seen, you couldn't get ahead.

Am I missing something?

Huh. I've actually found this game to be fairly difficult to win, for exactly the reason peakhope listed. An average of 1 ghost a turn plus an average of one kill every two turns means the ghosts pile up. If you manage to move in pairs, you can get an average of one ghost a turn defeated for a couple turns, but moving either figure breaks that math back down (like to another room), and the random door locking makes it difficult to keep a team together and/or get to somewhere usable. While getting ahead is only mathematically improbably, staying ahead long enough for the game to lack tension is very unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can obviously only state my own experience with the game, which is around 6 or 7 plays with two hunters.

You guys are generally correct about the one ghost per turn thing, with the exception of drawing the reshuffle card and rolling a 6 for movement -- in both cases, no ghost is added.

What I found was that it was better to wait until you had a haunt or two in the house. You need two hunters of course, but once you unhaunt the room, the room is completely cleared.

By the way, I'm talking about the basic game.

I am going to give the game more plays. Maybe my experiences were just atypical. I definitely want to like this game, because it's very cool in so many ways.

For another take on the issue I am talking about, check out the "house rules for grown ups" thread in the variants section. The poster there had a similar perception, and probably articulates it better than I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I'm interested to hear more.

Even if it takes only 2 turns to position the hunters in the room with a haunting (best case), and then the first attempt is successful (best case), that's 3 turns to remove the equivalent of 3 ghosts. More typically it would take 3 or more turns to position the hunters, and about 2 turns to remove it. That would be 5 turns to clear the equivalent of 3 ghosts.

It sounds like a losing proposition, but I haven't actually tried it myself, so maybe it would work somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Park
msg tools
designer
Check out the Ghost Event Die & Ghost Spawner in the variants rules thread for a harder game.

As for a clock you could count each round of moves (once all players have had a turn each) and place a round limit.

Another method of a time limit is the "Head Haunting". See variants thread for full rule. This sees a Haunting start in and move along the hallway to eventually exit the house when players would lose.

The Head Haunting advances one space when the player defeats a Ghost/s or Haunting.

This should avoid the idea that players simple mop up ghosts then collect the Jewels easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.