GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 81.92

5,470 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.5% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was set on getting PGD because I thought that the game was virtually identical to the original PG except for the upgraded components and maps.

However, after reading and watching many reviews, I learned that PGD plays differently. Is this true? I have read that it is more balanced, which I assume means that it is better. Is that correct?

How do experienced PG players feel about the balance? This seems like an important feature and would instantly give me even more reason to move to the deluxe version.

Would love to hear your insights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PGD has a few rules tweaks and a different mix of resources (which perhaps are "more balanced") and power plants, but it is essentially the same game. if you are only going to get one, I'd recommend PGD, but if you like the idea of picking up different maps, go with the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xenongames wrote:
PGD has a few rules tweaks and a different mix of resources (which perhaps are "more balanced") and power plants, but it is essentially the same game. if you are only going to get one, I'd recommend PGD, but if you like the idea of picking up different maps, go with the original.

Can you not use deluxe with the other maps? I can't think why you wouldn't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnyutah7 wrote:
xenongames wrote:

Nope. The resource market and plant deck are different.

In answer to the OP, the differences in the Deluxe edition are subtle and the kind of thing only very experienced players are even going to notice.

Be ruthlessly honest with yourself in answering this question. Is your group likely to play the game 50+ times a year? If so then get the original because of the expansion maps available.

If you're not going to play it that heavily or will play 2p with any regularity then the Deluxe edition is absolutely the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
johnyutah7 wrote:
xenongames wrote:

As mentioned above Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America has a slightly different rule set to Power Grid

Every original expansion map has its own rule set which is based on the original Power Grid rules. Sometimes the variation is very minor, in some cases it can be not so minor at all.

You can certainly use the resources from Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America, well with the little upgrade kit to ensure you get new trash and the four extra oil to bring the counter mix in line with Power Grid , with all the original maps.

A difference between Power Grid and Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America is that the former has Garbage and the latter has Natural Gas. The physical number of resources are different too (see above about needing four extra oil). You could pretend Garbage (or Trash depending on where in the world you come from) is Natural gas and use the components from Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America. You could probably even use the Power Plants too, but on some maps that may have strange side effects as the maps were designed with the original Power Grid Power Plant deck. There is a rule set available to use the Power Grid: The New Power Plant Cards with the original maps as some of the maps have specific power plant changes listed in their rules, but this has not been done for Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America.

Given that Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America has seven regions on each of the two sides of the map and you only use a maximum of five, I personally am currently far from hitting any replayability ceiling to experiment using it with old maps. If I want to play the old maps, I just play them as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
johnyutah7 wrote:
xenongames wrote:

As mentioned above Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America has a slightly different rule set to Power Grid

Every original expansion map has its own rule set which is based on the original Power Grid rules. Sometimes the variation is very minor, in some cases it can be not so minor at all.

You can certainly use the resources from Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America, well with the little upgrade kit to ensure you get new trash and the four extra oil to bring the counter mix in line with Power Grid , with all the original maps.

A difference between Power Grid and Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America is that the former has Garbage and the latter has Natural Gas. The physical number of resources are different too (see above about needing four extra oil). You could pretend Garbage (or Trash depending on where in the world you come from) is Natural gas and use the components from Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America. You could probably even use the Power Plants too, but on some maps that may have strange side effects as the maps were designed with the original Power Grid Power Plant deck. There is a rule set available to use the Power Grid: The New Power Plant Cards with the original maps as some of the maps have specific power plant changes listed in their rules, but this has not been done for Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America.

Given that Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America has seven regions on each of the two sides of the map and you only use a maximum of five, I personally am currently far from hitting any replayability ceiling to experiment using it with old maps. If I want to play the old maps, I just play them as they are.

Sorry, now I've just fully high jacked this thread...

This is interesting and makes the recently posted Massdrop for the deluxe PG bundle less appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnyutah7 wrote:
This is interesting and makes the recently posted Massdrop for the deluxe PG bundle less appealing.

The drop was cancelled once they found out that they were bundling incompatible items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
johnyutah7 wrote:

The drop was cancelled once they found out that they were bundling incompatible items.

Looks like it's still active to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnyutah7 wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
johnyutah7 wrote:

Looks like it's still active to me

Ah, so it is! When you Google "massdrop power grid bundle" the top link shows an inactive deal for the same thing:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/power-grid-deluxe-bundle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
If you're not going to play it that heavily or will play 2p with any regularity then the Deluxe edition is absolutely the way to go.

Or original edition + Power Grid: The Robots expansion (which lets you play with more than one non-human opponent, if desired).

Or (I've heard but not tried) original edition + the PGD rules for the 3rd (non-human) Trust player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Or original edition + Power Grid: The Robots expansion (which lets you play with more than one non-human opponent, if desired).

Or (I've heard but not tried) original edition + the PGD rules for the 3rd (non-human) Trust player.

I've got the original and The Robots expansion myself and while that works, the Against the Trust rules for the Deluxe edition are far more elegant and streamlined by comparison which is why I recommend it for anyone who plans on playing a lot of Power Grid 2p.

While you can use the new 2p rules with the original game it will wear thin very quickly as the beginning of every game will become scripted after just a game or two since it doesn't have the variable starting market offered in the Deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
While you can use the new 2p rules with the original game it will wear thin very quickly as the beginning of every game will become scripted after just a game or two since it doesn't have the variable starting market offered in the Deluxe edition.

May I correct you :-)

Please check our website www.2f-spiele.de and go to the game page for Funkenschlag (both in German and English).

There you find a PDF for the adjusted new 2p rules for "classic" Power Grid, avoiding the scripted start.

Only the rules for the expansion map of China results in a scripted game, which is true for all player counts.

Have fun playing Power Grid against the Trust.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
I've got the original and The Robots expansion myself and while that works, the Against the Trust rules for the Deluxe edition are far more elegant and streamlined by comparison which is why I recommend it for anyone who plans on playing a lot of Power Grid 2p.

It probably ultimately depends on whether one prefers a single simple elegant AI, or more complex but rather varied AI (plus the ability to play with multiple different AI opponents in a single game).

I like that the robots are assembled from various modules with different combinations of behavior and special abilities. But then I like 504 too, and not everyone does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henning wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

May I correct you :-)

Please check our website www.2f-spiele.de and go to the game page for Funkenschlag (both in German and English).

There you find a PDF for the adjusted new 2p rules for "classic" Power Grid, avoiding the scripted start.

Thanks Henning! I wasn't aware that an adjusted variant was made available for the original edition. Well done! thumbsup

For those interested, here is a direct link to the English pdf:

http://www.2f-spiele.de/spiele/pdf/power_2er_variant_rules.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.