5,239 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Francesco M
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello everybody, I am working now on variant of campaign rules for Legend of Drizzt Board Game and, since I am not so familiar with ToEE, I would like to kindly ask you to clarify me how the result of each adventure affect the campaign progression.

As far as I remember monster cards are taken out or items are provided at the end of each adventure but it seems to me that heroes are forced to win each adventure (eventually repeating it) to continue the campaign.

Could you please clarify to me how the reward / penalty system works in ToEE at the end of each quest?? Possibly providing some specific examples for the single adventure (as spoiler )

I wish to thank you in advance for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Beaklini
msg tools
If you win the adventure with all healing surges, the system thinks you're taking it too easy and adds harder monsters and encounters to their respective decks - it also rewards the players for the performance by adding cool treasures to the main treasure deck. Mind you most of the monsters and some nasty encounters will be added to the main deck anyway, to increase difficulty (as heroes level up, so must the dungeon) but it'll be done sooner if you complete it with all surges.

There are also bonus rewards if you complete bonus objectives, such as all villagers survive in a quest where to beat it you need to have at least one alive in the end.

If you complete the adventure with less then 2 healing surges, the system thinks it is being too hard on you and tries to tone things down a bit, like adding an average-to-easy encounter card to the encounter deck, to dilute it i think, and adds more gold to the treasure deck (cards that give you 200-300 gold, instead of the usual 100) for you to advance faster.

If you lose an adventure, everyone gains 100 gold and you have to try it again.

Mind you that in this system you use gold to advance levels, not experience. Most of the treasure deck is gold and not items, you pay 1000 gold to level up, and after level 2 you can buy tokens with abilities like Recharge a power, Regain 2 HP, +1 to Damage and Reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco M
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you very much Victor !!

So, as far as I have understood, the snowball effect is weaker than in Descent.

mXZPLK wrote:
If you lose an adventure, everyone gains 100 gold and you have to try it again.

I wouldn't like to repeat an adventure in Legend of Drizzt (it is not so thematic) and I would rather prefer to introduce ally which enter the game to "save" the heroes.

mXZPLK wrote:
If you win the adventure with all healing surges, the system thinks you're taking it too easy and adds harder monsters and encounters to their respective decks - it also rewards the players for the performance by adding cool treasures to the main treasure deck.

I like this concept of increasing the difficulty although it is not so clear to me if the cool treasures are the ones you would get normally in the game or you can get only by winning the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Beaklini
msg tools
You only have a chance to get those treasures if you "win" a quest with all healing surges. For instance, if you win Adv. 5 with all the surges, the Cloak of Protection is added to the treasure deck. You still have to find it in future adventures, you don't gain it per se, and if you don't add this treasure in this adventures you'll never have the oppportunity to see it in the campaign. The reward for Adv. 4, 6, 7, etc are different.

And yes it is cooler as 90% or so of the treasure deck is gold, and if you get something that isn't gold it is either an attack item with high damage but low attack roll (that you have to use it instead of your normal attack) or a potion or something alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.