M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Just returned from my vacation which started with 2 nights in a hotel in Caen. We used the better part of the day to visit a number of D-Day locations: Point du Hoc, Omaha Beach, the Am. War Cemetery and the Longues sur Mer battery. I like that last one, because the rusty guns are still in place.

I read the battery consisted of four Kriegmarine 152 mm guns. But I must admit, standing there next to the guns, looking over the ocean, I had no idea about what their range was.

So what was their range, in miles or km?
And also, how does that translate to the ocean view? Would the shells land behind the horizon on a clear day? Halfway?
I really have no idea how to imagine this; any help welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this useful? http://www.war44.com/misc/images/1/Longues_Map.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
"Beyond the horizon" is dependent upon the height of the target, and the height of the gun. At water's edge (standing with your feet in the surf) a 30 foot tall ship might be 6 or 7 miles away before falling out of sight, depending on weather conditions. It's possible to see much farther if refraction is occuring, but that's a good spitball estimate. Given the weather on D-Day I doubt curvature was the limitation to sighting.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There were some gun shots exchanged between batteries around Dover and Calais during the war, which suggests a range of over 33km.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

So assuming it is an accurate drawing above, the guns would have a reach of something like 16-18km.

Standing on the beach, looking at that 10 meter high ship, you would still see it at about 10km (6.5 miles), meaning from that point of view the shells would be able to land well beyond your horizon.

Standing next to one of the bunkers would be a different thing, as the battery is quite some meters above sea level. The picture below (not mine) looking at the mulberry harbor is taken near the battery and gives an indication of how high above sea level the guns are placed.

Googling somewhat further I found the horizon is some 35 km away when standing on a 100m tower, and 64 km when standing on a 322 m high object (the highest "mountain" in the Netherlands ) So standing next to the bunkers your view is probably some 30-50 km.

Thanks guys, this put things for me somwhat more in perspective!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurdj wrote:
There were some gun shots exchanged between batteries around Dover and Calais during the war, which suggests a range of over 33km.
Any idea what kind of guns there were?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United Kingdom
Ealing
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
jurdj wrote:

Quite a variety: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-Channel_guns_in_the_Seco...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmccalpin wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
jurdj wrote:

Quite a variety: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-Channel_guns_in_the_Seco...
So the ones firing at the English coast were 380mm, with a range of 55,7 km

Interesting, but not what I asked for! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

About 24,000 yards / 14 miles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

About 24,000 yards / 14 miles.
Ah?!

Bases on this drawing...
Maccyn wrote:
...I came to 16-18 km (10-11¼ mile).

What is your source?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

Standing next to one of the bunkers would be a different thing, as the battery is quite some meters above sea level. The picture below (not mine) looking at the mulberry harbor is taken near the battery and gives an indication of how high above sea level the guns are placed.

As I said in the other thread fire direction for those guns was done from the observation bunker, several hundred yards in front of the guns, situated on the cliff edge, buried and with observation slits at ground level. Sideways visibility from it is much poorer than from out in the open on the hill where the guns are.

The battery that actually hit Omaha beach wasn't on any Allied intel maps - a serious blunder - and wasn't discovered until a couple of years ago - Google "Maisy Battery" for a virtually unknown participant in the D-Day battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, my notes from Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944 say the battery at Longues sur Mer was the 4th Battery of the 1260 HKAA (Army Coastal Artillery Battalion).

The guns were 4 x 150mm TbtsK C/36, not 152mm. Per wikipedia, it had a range of 21,950 metres (24,000 yd) at 30°.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_cm_TbtsK_C/36_naval_gun

http://www.atlantikwall.org.uk/longues_sur_mer.htm

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/wn_48.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.