M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
As written here, I just returned from my vacation which started with 2 nights in a hotel in Caen. We used the better part of the day to visit a number of D-Day locations: Point du Hoc, Omaha Beach, the Am. War Cemetery and the Longues sur Mer battery.

Coming home, I already planned my next FtF game of Victory in Normandy cool

But I do remember at one point I had a game on my radar, about D-Day (and probably a number of days following that). Can't remember the name, though. Never played it, but might pick it up after this trip.

From what I remember, it was a hex&counter game. Quite detailed. One feature was units landed as several counters (squads? platoons?) on the beaches and first should try to reform in larger units (company? regiment?) to improve their fighting capability. Also, the map was quite 'busy'.

Any of you grognards have enough with these clues to come up with a few suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944?

It has the beach landings at company level and you need to form into larger units due to command control activations.

Also the map is really busy.

If it's an old, old game, with a mounted board, then maybe The Longest Day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maes
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Normandy has a separate airborne & beaches landing phase where battalions are broken down in companies and placed on a landing track. The beaches and the base of the cotentin peninsula look busy, the rest of the map less so.

Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise is similar

The Killing Ground (with Operation Overlord expansion)

D-Day at Omaha Beach has a busy map but doesn't involve reforming units after landing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably thinking of The Battle for Normandy, it has units land as companies that later rebuild into battalions. Does this look familiar? https://youtu.be/ekNQ5OVdD3Y
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from memory. Maybe I mixed up the two. D-Day at Omaha Beach does look like the map I'm referring to. But The Battle for Normandy has the multihex landing approach areas I remember and the combining companies to rebuild into battalions which James mentioned. They're both from 2009 and I remember following the release on BGG. BfN is a GMT game, which also rings a bell - somehow.

Thanks people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note: D-Day at Omaha Beach is a solitaire game, the others are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a small wargame about the paratroopers, it could be Night Drop: 6 June 44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

Did you visit the forward observation bunker a couple of hundred yards in front of it ? It's bit hidden but you can climb inside and re-enact the "Major Pluskat" scene from the Longest Day which was filmed there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

Did you visit the forward observation bunker a couple of hundred yards in front of it ? It's bit hidden but you can climb inside and re-enact the "Major Pluskat" scene from the Longest Day which was filmed there.
laugh We visited a lot of bunkers, but that one I missed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.