Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tara
United Kingdom
York
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I understand a card is activated when it is played but if day or night then changes, does the bonus activated when played remain or is it cancelled at that point? Thanks meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not sure which card interaction you're asking about. If you can be more specific about the card that is prompting this question it would be helpful in answering.

In most cases, the day or night effect occurs at the moment the card is played, so a card that grants, Night: Gain an additional 2 Power, would only grant the power if, at the moment it is played, it is night. If, for example, it subsequently becomes Day, it is irrelevant because the 2 Power from the Night ability has already been gained. Conversely, playing this card during Day will not grant the 2 additional Power, whether or not it becomes night at a later time in the turn.

A card like Watchtower Golem,
will grant its Power as soon as it becomes Day at least once during the turn. If it later becomes Night, it is irrelevant as the Power from Watchtower Golem has already been received. (The choice to gain the 2 Power is not a "may" ability.) A failure to bookkeep the 2 Power does not change the fact that the Power was in fact gained at the time the game was in Day, and the player is entitled to the 2 Power.

In the case of Ongoing effect during Day or Night, such as Luro the Hunter
we play that the Night ability is indeed lost when it b comes Day and activated when it becomes Night. It is only usable when the game is in a state of Night. One should be careful with a card like Luro that they are declaring to other players which combination of Runes and Power they are using for acquisitions, based on their prediction for future actions during the turn in case it becomes Day. This may or may not be correct. As I'm writing this it seems we are playing this card incorrectly, and that the power to spend runes and power interchangeably is gained when Luro as played at night, and cannot be lost or gained after Luro has been played.

Another card I can see questions with is Shade of Shadranis:

This one is also interesting and the way we play this card is that if it is Night when the Shade is played, the player then gains the power of "Once this turn, you may defeat a monster in the Void". Because this power has been gained, it can not be lost by becoming Day. I would believe this is correct but I could see arguments against it, so I suggest clarifying your question such that Stoneblade (Huuuuze) can answer definitively. He has answered a similar question at http://rpg.geekdo.com/thread/1592848/when-daynight-effects-a... but it does seem to leave some room for interpretation on these latter two cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yorkrambler wrote:
Hi, I understand a card is activated when it is played but if day or night then changes, does the bonus activated when played remain or is it cancelled at that point? Thanks meeple

The effects on the card are evaluated when it is played. If it is currently Day when the card is played, the Day "kicker" will trigger. Same goes for Night.

Note: the "kicker" effect will *not* trigger if the card has been played and the Day/Night status has changed. In other words, if you play a card with a Day card kicker at Night and then the status changes to day, the kicker will not take effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Mason
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With heroes, they check for day or night exactly when they are played. Any changes before or after are irrelevant.

With constructs that say "once per turn", they check for day or night when you decide to trigger them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara
United Kingdom
York
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jvook wrote:
In most cases, the day or night effect occurs at the moment the card is played ... If, for example, it subsequently becomes Day, it is irrelevant because the 2 Power from the Night ability has already been gained.

Thank you meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.