Subject: Various rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to post quite a few questions, but first I'd like to point out that I really enjoy playing Argonauts. I'm only asking because I like it enough that I really want to play correctly.

I've read the very useful Rules FAQ, and some of the questions I initially had were cleared up by doing so, but not everything.

1. Divine Intervention
I'm still not sure in what cases Divine Intervention applies. The FAQ states: After assigning your heroes and before resolving combat events (like pirates etc.) or legendary encounters, you have to roll the d12 in order to determine Divine Intervention.

Legendary Encounters is clear. But what are "combat events"?
Any event card that has a Battle skill requirement printed on it?
(i. e. "Pirates", "Hostile Waters", "Ambushed")
And is it still a "combat event", even if I decide to use the "Cunning Approach" instead of the "Might Approach" (in which case there might be no "combat")?
Is there any other situation (apart from Legendary Encounters and the three cards mentioned above) during which I have to roll for Divine Intervention?

2. Number of Favors of the Gods

This has been asked before, but I haven't seen an official answer. The rules say:
The players cannot have more than three (3) Favor of the Gods during the game as shown in the Favor of the Gods track.

This is ambiguous, in that it might mean you can only have a total of 3 Favors in any game.
The track and availability of a single token (same as for Argonauts, gold etc.), however, suggests that you can't have more than 3 at any one time, but that you could have more than 3 per game. You have 3, use one, gain another, use one, gain another. You would now have had 5 Favors in one game. Is this possible? Or is there a "3 per game" limit?

3. Using equipment and relics

The FAQ says:
Q: Can you use equipment and relics for wherever needed?
A: Yes, you can

Just to be sure: this means equipment/relics can be used at any point during the game at which this particular skill is needed: in Legendary Encounters, during Argo Events, during Exploration Events, in Port Cities (e. g. during a Hearing). Correct?

4. Exhausting a hero to rotate positions

The FAQ already contains part of the answer to my question:
Using a hero in order to "rotate" hero positions is NOT a legal move. A hero is used for either his special ability, skills or class.

But when am I not using the hero? Okay, I can't use Asclepius (who only has Diplomacy and Mysticism skills) for something that only requires Stealth, logically. But what if I decide to use heroes that have the required skills, but the total is lower than needed, and not even positive Divine Intervention could make a victory possible? Can I do that, or would this also be an illegal move?

5. Shallow Waters

I assume the Shallow Waters Argo Event is not a weather condition (rules: When you face extreme weather conditions (like a thunderstorm or dead calm), you may use the Favor of the Gods to skip the event unscathed.) and that you can only use Favor of the Gods for those events that explicitly say so (Rough Sea, Thunderstorm, Fog, Dead Calm)?

6. Pursued

Rules: after the Dragon legendary encounter and before moving to the next sea step, shuffle in the Argo events deck the card titled “Pursued”.

Is "Pursued" intended to be shuffled into the remaining events only, or do I shuffle in the already discarded ones as well?

7. Order of committing heroes and rolling the die

The order is always:
1 - Decide what hero(es) to use.
2 - Roll the d12
(Even for cards that have "Roll D12" printed above "Exhaust x to add their y", which suggests that rolling the die comes first.)
Correct?

8. Tailwind

Card text: The Gods favour your journey! You may move ARGO 2 steps forward.

"May" means it is optional. Since it doesn't say "up to 2 steps", I assume it's either 2 steps or 0?
What does the "moving forward" entail?
I assume I don't lose rations and don't have to deal with Argo events, and also can't use Port Cities. What about Legendary Encounters? Do they stop/prevent Tailwind? The FAQ states that you exchange Hercules for Medea after Aea in any case, but what about Legendary Encounters in general?

9. Mopsus' special ability

On the card, his special ability reads "Hierophant: Exhaust Mopsus and pay 1 ration to reroll any die".

In the rulebook it says "(P) Hierophant: exhaust Mopsus, pay 1 ration: reroll any die. When using Mopsus and your action involves rolling a d12, you may pay 1 ration and reroll the die. Use the second result to resolve your action."

I'm not quite sure when I can use this skill. Does it apply to any possible die roll in the game? Enemy strength, Divine Intervention, asking a Lord for help during a Hearing in a Port City? Or are only some of these things "actions" ("your action involves...").

10. Idas' special ability

Card text: Quartermaster: Exhaust Idas. Don't reduce rations next round.
Rules: Quartermaster: Exhaust Idas. Don't reduce rations next round. You may exhaust Idas in order not to lose rations at the beggining of your next round.

From the card text, it sounds like you don't have to reduce rations at all next round.
From the rules, I assume it only refers to the single ration at the beginning of the round, not anything else that might force you to reduce rations. Which is correct?
Also, what if rations are already at 0? Does Idas' ability become useless, or does it prevent you from having to reduce the Argonauts by one (since you only do this *instead* of reducing rations, and if you don't have to reduce rations, you don't lose an Argonaut)?

11. Jason's special ability
I added a request for further clarification to this thread: Timing of Jason's ability

It would be great to get official answers to these because I intend to send the Argo on lots more journeys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Errikos Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, may I say, you did such a great job telling us about your adventures with Argonauts

Now moving on to your great questions,

I'll reply to them one by one

marble911 wrote:
1. Divine Intervention
I'm still not sure in what cases Divine Intervention applies. The FAQ states: After assigning your heroes and before resolving combat events (like pirates etc.) or legendary encounters, you have to roll the d12 in order to determine Divine Intervention.

Legendary Encounters is clear. But what are "combat events"?
Any event card that has a Battle skill requirement printed on it?
(i. e. "Pirates", "Hostile Waters", "Ambushed")
And is it still a "combat event", even if I decide to use the "Cunning Approach" instead of the "Might Approach" (in which case there might be no "combat")?
Is there any other situation (apart from Legendary Encounters and the three cards mentioned above) during which I have to roll for Divine Intervention?

A: By combat events we mean Pirates, Hostile Waters and Ambush. Or to clarify better, "You roll for Divine Intervention during Legendary Encounters, Pirates, Hostile Waters and Ambush"
Finally, there are no other situations where you roll for Divine Intervention, that's enough divine meddling

marble911 wrote:
2. Number of Favors of the Gods

This has been asked before, but I haven't seen an official answer. The rules say:
The players cannot have more than three (3) Favor of the Gods during the game as shown in the Favor of the Gods track.

This is ambiguous, in that it might mean you can only have a total of 3 Favors in any game.
The track and availability of a single token (same as for Argonauts, gold etc.), however, suggests that you can't have more than 3 at any one time, but that you could have more than 3 per game. You have 3, use one, gain another, use one, gain another. You would now have had 5 Favors in one game. Is this possible? Or is there a "3 per game" limit?

A: At any time during a game you can have a maximum of 3 Favor of the gods. This means that if you use 1 and drop to 2 Favors and then gain another Favor, you go back to 3. But you cannot exceed that number

marble911 wrote:
3. Using equipment and relics

The FAQ says:
Q: Can you use equipment and relics for wherever needed?
A: Yes, you can

Just to be sure: this means equipment/relics can be used at any point during the game at which this particular skill is needed: in Legendary Encounters, during Argo Events, during Exploration Events, in Port Cities (e. g. during a Hearing). Correct?

A: exactly. You can use it during a Legendary Encounter or even during a Hearing with the local lord, or during exploration.

marble911 wrote:
4. Exhausting a hero to rotate positions

The FAQ already contains part of the answer to my question:
Using a hero in order to "rotate" hero positions is NOT a legal move. A hero is used for either his special ability, skills or class.

But when am I not using the hero? Okay, I can't use Asclepius (who only has Diplomacy and Mysticism skills) for something that only requires Stealth, logically. But what if I decide to use heroes that have the required skills, but the total is lower than needed, and not even positive Divine Intervention could make a victory possible? Can I do that, or would this also be an illegal move?

A: no, that is not an illegal move, it is an attempt at fulfilling the requirements set by the current encounter/event.

marble911 wrote:
5. Shallow Waters

I assume the Shallow Waters Argo Event is not a weather condition (rules: When you face extreme weather conditions (like a thunderstorm or dead calm), you may use the Favor of the Gods to skip the event unscathed.) and that you can only use Favor of the Gods for those events that explicitly say so (Rough Sea, Thunderstorm, Fog, Dead Calm)?

A: Indeed, Favor of the gods is used only for the events that specifically allow it.

marble911 wrote:
6. Pursued

Rules: after the Dragon legendary encounter and before moving to the next sea step, shuffle in the Argo events deck the card titled “Pursued”.

Is "Pursued" intended to be shuffled into the remaining events only, or do I shuffle in the already discarded ones as well?

A: you shuffle the Pursued card in the remaining Argo Events.

marble911 wrote:
7. Order of committing heroes and rolling the die

The order is always:
1 - Decide what hero(es) to use.
2 - Roll the d12
(Even for cards that have "Roll D12" printed above "Exhaust x to add their y", which suggests that rolling the die comes first.)
Correct?

A: correct!

marble911 wrote:
8. Tailwind

Card text: The Gods favour your journey! You may move ARGO 2 steps forward.

"May" means it is optional. Since it doesn't say "up to 2 steps", I assume it's either 2 steps or 0?
What does the "moving forward" entail?
I assume I don't lose rations and don't have to deal with Argo events, and also can't use Port Cities. What about Legendary Encounters? Do they stop/prevent Tailwind? The FAQ states that you exchange Hercules for Medea after Aea in any case, but what about Legendary Encounters in general?

A: moving forward is optional. We wanted to say up to 2 steps, so it's either 0, 1 or 2. You don't lose rations and don't draw events for the skipped steps. Legendary Encounters cannot be avoided in this manner, but Port Cities can.

marble911 wrote:
9. Mopsus' special ability

On the card, his special ability reads "Hierophant: Exhaust Mopsus and pay 1 ration to reroll any die".

In the rulebook it says "(P) Hierophant: exhaust Mopsus, pay 1 ration: reroll any die. When using Mopsus and your action involves rolling a d12, you may pay 1 ration and reroll the die. Use the second result to resolve your action."

I'm not quite sure when I can use this skill. Does it apply to any possible die roll in the game? Enemy strength, Divine Intervention, asking a Lord for help during a Hearing in a Port City? Or are only some of these things "actions" ("your action involves...").

A: this special ability is applicable on all types of rolls made in the game. The "(P)" is a typo as it is an "active" ability.

marble911 wrote:
10. Idas' special ability

Card text: Quartermaster: Exhaust Idas. Don't reduce rations next round.
Rules: Quartermaster: Exhaust Idas. Don't reduce rations next round. You may exhaust Idas in order not to lose rations at the beggining of your next round.

From the card text, it sounds like you don't have to reduce rations at all next round.
From the rules, I assume it only refers to the single ration at the beginning of the round, not anything else that might force you to reduce rations. Which is correct?
Also, what if rations are already at 0? Does Idas' ability become useless, or does it prevent you from having to reduce the Argonauts by one (since you only do this *instead* of reducing rations, and if you don't have to reduce rations, you don't lose an Argonaut)?

A: Yes, the ability refers to the 1 ration that you have to reduce at the beggining of the round. If you're out of rations though, the special ability sadly has no effect.

marble911 wrote:
11. Jason's special ability
I added a request for further clarification to this thread:
Timing of Jason's ability

Copied from the above mentioned thread:

marble911 wrote:
- Does this exhaust Atalanta, or does she stay on "resting"? (I played that she stayed on "resting" and didn't get moved to "exhausted".)

A: Atalanta stays on "resting"

marble911 wrote:
- If, however, she gets exhausted, and she happens to be in the same squad as Jason, how do I handle moving them to the "exhausted" position? Do they share the slot? Does one go first, and then gets moved on immediately?

A: If she is exhausted during the current round, you cannot use Jason's special ability if they are members of the same squad. Does this make sense?

marble911 wrote:
- As for Divine Intervention, I assume the Gods that influence Atalanta count (as it is her skills that are being used), and the Gods that influence Jason have no effect?

A: Correct, thematically it's as if Jason pushes his crew to the limit and makes a "resting" character act even when normally unavailable. So the gods that influence Atalanta count in this case.

marble911 wrote:
- If Atalanta and Jason are in different squads, can I use another hero from Atalanta's squad, or does she count as the one hero from that squad that I can use this round?

A: No, you can use a hero normally from her squad. But if you wish to use Atalanta's skills with Jason's special ability for the same encounter during which you use a hero from Atalanta's squad, she needs to be in the "resting" position before the end of the encounter. It won't count if she's Exhausted and will be moved to resting after you use a hero during that same encounter. (I also hope this makes sense!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for answering all my questions so quickly and thoroughly!

It's a fun game and apparently it also comes with excellent customer support!

Looking forward to more epic journeys and divine meddling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.