$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 106.07

6,620 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: No Citadel East Front Recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norm Stewart
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

While Stalingrad was the turning-point on the Eastern Front, the ill-advised Operation Citadel was the decisive point in the war, that Germany could never recover from.

I'd like to pick-up the Eastern Front in Summer 1943, and see what happens if instead of wrecking much of their panzer forces in an attack on well prepared and concentrated defenders, the Germans instead adopt a more-or-less mobile defense for the rest of the conflict.

So, I am looking for recommendations for a more-or-less strategic level East Front game, with a Citadel scenario. My first thought was East Front, but I'm not sure of it's resolution nor predictive value - it still could be the most likely to be played-through. Maybe a good first approximation.

My next thought was The Dark Valley. I've not actually played this yet, but I like Chit-Pull - especially for solo. I'm not sure if the fairly fixed Chit options for each turn would be ideal.

Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944 could be good, but no Summer 1943 scenario; neither does Russia Besieged. I like No Retreat! The Russian Front, but the cards could make solo play too complicated - maybe I need Stuka Joe. I have not really considered Russian Front.

I have space for about anything, but not the attention span for a monster game.

I would welcome an suggestions, observations, Summer 1943 scenarios, or other thoughts.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you also post this in The war gamers forums? I know I am no help for game recommendations on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Stewart
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mayneric wrote:
Did you also post this in The war gamers forums? I know I am no help for game recommendations on this.


Maybe I should have, but I'll give this spot the first opportunity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Death & Destruction: The Russian Front 1942-44 has a 1943 scenario. It's available used as the original magazine version or you could go for Proud Monster Deluxe that combines it with its prequel game on Barbarossa.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Stewart
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Westie wrote:
Death & Destruction: The Russian Front 1942-44 has a 1943 scenario. It's available used as the original magazine version or you could go for Proud Monster Deluxe that combines it with its prequel game on Barbarossa.


I found the scenario on BGG. I'm not sure I need Division-scale for the Russians. How's well does the Proud Monster: The Barbarossa Campaign design capture Eastern Front warfare, and Death & Destruction: The Russian Front 1942-44 the evolution of Soviet capabilities?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VA-Norm wrote:
Westie wrote:
Death & Destruction: The Russian Front 1942-44 has a 1943 scenario. It's available used as the original magazine version or you could go for Proud Monster Deluxe that combines it with its prequel game on Barbarossa.


I found the scenario on BGG. I'm not sure I need Division-scale for the Russians. How's well does the Proud Monster: The Barbarossa Campaign design capture Eastern Front warfare, and Death & Destruction: The Russian Front 1942-44 the evolution of Soviet capabilities?



It's been a while since I played them, but I thought they did a good job.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision Games has released an update of Barbarossa: The Russo-German War, 1941-45, Barbarossa Deluxe, that includes additional scenarios, including a 1943 one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.