Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I imagine this is a common question, but here goes:

I thought I understood the "no stacking bonuses" rule until I ran across this post over on the FFG boards:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/107734-on-gai...

To confirm: bonuses from different cards -- regardless of their being allies, items, etc -- don't stack, right?

Here's an example from my current game:

Right now, I have the agent of secrets ally (+1 Will, +1 Observation), and the Conspiracy Theorist ally (+2 Observation, only on research encounters).

If I have to perform an observation test on a research encounter, I can only use the +2 bonus from the conspiracy theorist, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Beautiful. Thank you! I shall conquer these rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are right, the thread you quote is unhelpful. It really is straightforward and it's clearly set out in the reference guide under "Tests". I'm sure that many players don't read the Ref. Guide because the Rulebook provides "enough to get going", perhaps they should have put the Tests section in the Rulebook - it is a basic aspect of the game as gameplay is completely reliant on the players' ability to perform Tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I hear ya! And heck -- I read the reference guide and thought I had it down. The ambiguity for me arose from the wording on the "Agent of Secrets" card. It sounds like her bonuses apply in perpetuity, a la an improvement.

The relationship between dice and allies and bonuses also differs from ARKHAM HORROR, and I'm trying to erect two independent memory palaces for their rulesets, so to speak.

Anyway -- thanks, gang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertjpeterson wrote:
Right now, I have the agent of secrets ally (+1 Will, +1 Observation), and the Conspiracy Theorist ally (+2 Observation, only on research encounters).

If I have to perform an observation test on a research encounter, I can only use the +2 bonus from the conspiracy theorist, correct?

Yes. But note that the agent of secrets gives you a reroll which you get, even if you don't use her +1 bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Duly noted, thank you! Totally in love with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the thematic idea is that the Agent of Secrets and the Conspiracy Theorist aren't working with each other, they are individually working with the Investigator sometime during that few days of activity (or however long each turn is, thematically). And the Conspiracy Theorist is just plain better at observation than the agent, so he finds everything that the agent finds, plus more! So the agent is kind of useless -- his observation skills don't add to the search since the Conspiracy Theorist is taking care of everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
randomlife wrote:
I guess the thematic idea is that the Agent of Secrets and the Conspiracy Theorist aren't working with each other, they are individually working with the Investigator sometime during that few days of activity (or however long each turn is, thematically). And the Conspiracy Theorist is just plain better at observation than the agent, so he finds everything that the agent finds, plus more! So the agent is kind of useless -- his observation skills don't add to the search since the Conspiracy Theorist is taking care of everything.

Really well said -- thank you! And I'm not one of those gamers that needs everything to line up perfectly with theme. I trust that the FFG team put a lot of thought into making everything balance properly. Now if I can only remember all this stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.