Subject: Please talk me into or out of Eminent Domain! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll love it. It's a great little game, easy to learn and doesn't overstay its welcome. I kickstarted it because it sounded interesting and it's been a keeper. The role selection works really well and potentially includes all the other players - rather like Puerto Rico. Highly recommended.
Don't bother with the expansions though...they just complicate things and, IMHO, don't add anything to the game. I tried the first expansion and sold it on after one play.
Oh...and the game works just as well with 2, 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
I like San Juan and Dominion, and I love EmDo.

Counter-point: once you've had a few plays of base EmDo, I highly recommend Escalation! It adds the possibility of direct player interaction, new avenues for the Warfare role, new techs and planets that reward new strategies, and a boatload of scenarios to mix up new games. I don't play EmDo without Escalation anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Eminent Domain is a fantastic game and, if you like San Juan & Dominion and enjoy space-themed games, you should like Eminent Domain. A small barrier to entry is the complex tech-tree (which does only get more intimidating with the expansions), making it a lot to take in for new players, and a lot to look at in-game when making choices and thereby taking up time. That's the only real down-side of this game, but that down-side adds tons of depth and variability, and the expansions, which I recommend (at least escalation), adds a ton of options and variants.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is just 2 players, Eminent Domain: Microcosm. Some have cited this as an actual replacement for their gaming needs. I love the game. While brief, it gives you most of the key options and tensions, as well as making every turn crucial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
There are a few things that I like about Eminent Domain that make it stand out among other deckbuilders.

The game is not overly complex, so it doesn't have a large barrier of entry. I think the hardest thing for new players to grasp is differentiating between actions and roles, and the tech. The tech can be the toughest thing to figure out at first, but it is what really pulls me into the game. It gives everyone a chance to really customize their decks, and because it is not random draws, it adds a lot of player choice to the game. Eminent Domain allows players to keep any cards they want from one hand to the next before discarding and drawing their hands back up, which also gives additional choices that many deck builders do not offer.

Paying attention to what other people are doing is important, and I think it is a level of player interaction that is similar to Race for the Galaxy or Puerto Rico or San Juan. You want to be able to benefit off of what other people are doing, and minimize the benefits you are giving them.

Overall, Eminent Domain's basic mechanics are easy to grasp, but it has interesting choices and more control over how a deck is built than many deck builders.

Another positive element in Eminent Domain is the planets. Every game I enjoy the exploration of planets and trying to put together a cohesive tableau. I think it is the same feeling of exploration that one gets when drawing cards to assemble a tableau in San Juan or Race, but that is lacking in Peurto Rico.

I am someone who loved Dominion when it came out, but Eminent Domain has really jumped ahead of Dominion for me. I love engine building and games where you assemble a tableau, and I think that Eminent Domain has brought that into the deck building genre in a way that really works.

These are just my opinions, but they are from someone who enjoys Dominion and San Juan, and I think that Eninent Domain has elements of those two games while still having things to distinguish itself and be worth having in a game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not very good, and Dominion is better.

Might as well forget about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is fine as it is not as massiv as say Legendary. Now if it feels like you would play it over 5 times a year, auto-buy. If not, then really evaluate your purchase.

Long story short: I have over 2500+ app plays of Star Realms. Physical copy, less than 10. If a deckbuilded sees play, at least 5 times a year, it is worth it. Less than that, imo, it is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:

Two of my favourite games, both in my top 10, are San Juan and Dominion.

I have (let me check) 73 plays of SJ and 250+ of Dominion (physical plays, not counting online). I have two For Eminent Domain.

It lacks the variety of other deckbuilders. The role-selection to build your deck looked interesting in theory; in practice I didn't care for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
Please talk me into or out of Eminent Domain!

Buy it now or the puppy gets it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the Rules forum, or PM me. I thought the rules sheet was fine. But, the best way to learn is watch Rahdo or Zee Garcia's review. The cover the majority of the points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Microcosm and EmDo are rather mediocre games. Microcosm is dull and marred by horrible manual. EmDo is just nicer reskin of Race for the Galaxy. Yes, there are some smart and theoretically interesting mechanics there, in practice it falls flat as hell. You can get something better for your money. Listen to your wife, seems she can already feel it.

For a quick to play, in a confined space, but still with interesting decisions, I would suggest looking at Dale of Merchants. I think that something both you and your wife can enjoy it. I looove space themed games, make no mistake about it, but somehow I find Merchants adorable and cool, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:

I am supposed to have finished buying games currently in print as we are running out of space. But there is one game that I still have an itch to buy over all others: Eminent Domain.

Story Of my life...

except that you can change Eminent Domain for any game that I don't have now.... shake

But for real: ED I own both Expansion, I love it, Well... Deckbuilding is my second favorite kind of game, but to me EM is the second best deckbuilding IMHO (just losing for Dominion) however ED has a unique flavor, specially with expansions, I can't reaaly explain, but I had never ever played a game of ED that was repetitive.

I guees if you like RFTG, and Any other deckbuilder ED is a no Brainer for you! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
Check the Rules forum, or PM me. I thought the rules sheet was fine. But, the best way to learn is watch Rahdo or Zee Garcia's review. The cover the majority of the points.

Rodney Smith's Watch It Played channel has a good video as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
EmDo is just nicer reskin of Race for the Galaxy.

That's an interesting point of view...

I think most people would say that the skin is the ONLY thing EmDo really shares with Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
rattkin wrote:
EmDo is just nicer reskin of Race for the Galaxy.
That's an interesting point of view...

I think most people would say that the skin is the only thing EmDo really shares with Race for the Galaxy.
Agreed.

rattkin: I wonder if that was really the term you wanted to use? A "reskin" means taking the mechanics of an existing game and giving it a new theme, without significantly changing the mechanics. (A lot of people, for example, argue as to whether Caverna is a reskin of Agricola, or whether Race for the Galaxy is a reskin of San Juan.)

As "exploring and conquering alien planets" and "they use cards" is about all that EmDo and RftG have in common, this is about as far from a "reskin" as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know what it means and yes, it's the term I wanted to use. It's a reskin to me, even if slightly exaggerated. We can argue all day long how these games have different rules and mechanics (because they do, Race is not a deckbuilder, etc.), it doesn't change the fact, that they look and play very similarly. The OP asked to talk him into or out. My voice is on out.

I'm just not like most people, Seth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
To be fair to my wife, I have gone nuts and added a lot of games recently (my unplayed list is currently 71 games...) and I have already done the "one more game... honest!!" bit with Doomtown Reloaded! (which I am very excited about, only one play in.)

71 games unplayed on 190 owned wow that alot of unplayed games shake

i have 399 listed and 1 unplayed.

I think you should play more games first before you buy more otherwise it would be more collecting games then playing them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Very happy to hear you and the wife liked it. It is my #1 pick for short periods player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
wolverine1977 wrote:
LukeTDG wrote:
To be fair to my wife, I have gone nuts and added a lot of games recently (my unplayed list is currently 71 games...) and I have already done the "one more game... honest!!" bit with Doomtown Reloaded! (which I am very excited about, only one play in.)

71 games unplayed on 190 owned wow that alot of unplayed games shake

i have 399 listed and 1 unplayed.

I think you should play more games first before you buy more otherwise it would be more collecting games then playing them

I think you are right, I really do need to get them played. I thought it was about 60 games, but I put up a geek list the other day to help me focus on getting games in play, and it was even more than that!

EmDo just really pulls because San Juan and Dominion are two of my very favourite games! I seriously love them. Mind you, it's just proving to be one new temptation after the other, I'd probably be looking at Kemet or Cyclades next. Then Nippon and Signorie. A Martin Wallace train game...

shake

I alway's try to play a new game i bought to play within 1 week or so. Otherwise you will get behind to much and they keep stacking up.

Now my only unplayed game is Star Wars Imperial assault but that is because we are currently in some other campains of Galaxy defenders and Mansion of madness 2nd edition. So once they will finish we gonne play that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've described this game as having the same kind of love-it-or-hate-it reviews as Dominion, so anyone who hates that or is insanely in love with it is likely to have the same reaction to EmDo.

Race for the Galaxy fans/haters are also likely to have the same results.

All three require you to track your opponents' strategy, and all the (in the base game) lack any kind of direct aggression, even to the limited extent that something like Among the Stars has.

I'm a fan of all three, though I haven't played much Dominion since the web-based online site went away. I've got a physical copy, but haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.