Subject: Loving the Divided cards! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have gotten so much hate lately that I felt the need to dedicate a separate thread for all of those excited about them. I admit, the text is too small, and the art might be inferior to that used for regular cards, but I cannot imagine a better way to implement the idea. I've gotten used to them already, and my girlfriend likes them too. They provide you with lots of interesting decisions to make, can be employed in some amazing combos, and are a fun departure from the type of cards prevalent in the game so far.

I know they will probably remain endemic to Civil War, but I'd love to see them used again in some future sets. Maybe not on all the heroes, as this seems to be one of the most frequent gripes against them, but on half of the heroes in a big box and it would be great.

And yes, it would have been better to have really divided teams featured on the cards, but the cards themselves are pretty cool. Thanks Upper Deck for another great set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's likely that we'll see more Divided cards in the nearish future because it seems like there's a lot of design space that opened up because of their introduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
I think it's likely that we'll see more Divided cards in the nearish future because it seems like there's a lot of design space that opened up because of their introduction.

A lot of design space meaning we could see Divided cards with three or four divisions?!

My poor eyes!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine today and was relieved to discover that my eyes are still good enough to read them, thankfully...so I'm good. I was otherwise a fan of the idea, just nervous about the implementation.

I do feel for everyone who is having problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have no problem with Divided Cards themselves.

On the other hand, it was a little disappointing that "Divided" was not more thematic mechanically speaking, instead of literally "dividing" the card in 2.

In addition, the word "Divided" implies being in disagreement or at odds between 2 characters who are otherwise partners or on the same page. This was not evident either as no one who was "Divided" in this set, IIRC, was actually "Divided" in Civil War. Cap "divided" with Battlestar? Cloak "divided" with Dagger? Goliath "divided" with...Goliath? Woah.

I think when people heard about"Divided" coming to Civil War months ago, many felt it was going to be one big step closer to adding a level of competition between players.

Anyway at the end of the day, I like the cards to play with but I understand some of the criticisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
...I'd love to see them used again in some future sets.

God I hope not. They were an ok idea, but to me they're just a gimmick that didn't work out at all. They're too difficult to read and they just take too much time to work with. They really slow the game down.

Also, a perfectly good Hercules deck is now seriously flawed (IMO) because of these infernal cards.

Also #2: other than the physical aspect, there's nothing remotely "Divided" about them. They're not thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

God I hope not. They were an ok idea, but to me they're just a gimmick that didn't work out at all. They're too difficult to read and they just take too much time to work with. They really slow the game down.

Also, a perfectly good Hercules deck is now seriously flawed (IMO) because of these infernal cards.

Also #2: other than the physical aspect, there's nothing remotely "Divided" about them. They're not thematic.

I would have to agree with this. There are lot of new avenues fans have been dying for Legendary to explore, as well as the return of more lesser used keywords that should get the attention of UpperDeck before coming up with more "Divided" cards for box sets that don't have that "gimmick"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dog
msg tools
Someone mentioned it before, but the Dark Avengers are begging to have Divided cards. Imagine a "Hawkeye" set that has one card with Bullseye revealing his true nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Theyre divided on how they should help their team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Agreed. I would like limited use of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group and I greatly enjoyed the concept of divided cards, having to choose which power to activate, changing the outcome of the hand... It is fun in practise.

The 2 major problems I have with them is the text can sometimes be impossible to read, especially in low lit areas (some gaming stores or basements), and sorting... Sort cards was difficult to begin with, these cards make it intense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
It seems like the community is divided over these cards. I personally think they are awesome. They give you multiple options on how to play a card, which apparently some find to be confusing or paralysis causing. I also think they are quite thematic. To write it off as "gimmicky" is to really relate any other key word as gimmicky. While I agree that some other key words come back before this one *cough* artifacts *cough* I see nothing wrong with them sticking around.

Gimmicky would be the Avenger Pets, which I haven't seen many complaints around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Biggest thing I hate about them is the cameos. I like Goliath w/ his science vs. strength, and I like Cloak/Dagger and Storm/Panther. My least favorite by far is Jessica Jones's cameo in Luke's common. She deserved to be a fully-fleshed-out hero, not relegated to half of one of Luke's. As peeved as I am that this is a one-sided Civil War, the fact that we have the 3rd Peter Parker and the 5th Steve Rodgers grinds my gears like no other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimstradamus wrote:
I have no problem with Divided Cards themselves.

On the other hand, it was a little disappointing that "Divided" was not more thematic mechanically speaking, instead of literally "dividing" the card in 2.

In addition, the word "Divided" implies being in disagreement or at odds between 2 characters who are otherwise partners or on the same page. This was not evident either as no one who was "Divided" in this set, IIRC, was actually "Divided" in Civil War. Cap "divided" with Battlestar? Cloak "divided" with Dagger? Goliath "divided" with...Goliath? Woah.

I think when people heard about"Divided" coming to Civil War months ago, many felt it was going to be one big step closer to adding a level of competition between players.

Anyway at the end of the day, I like the cards to play with but I understand some of the criticisms.

I think that the word "Divided" was only meant to apply to the physical aspect of the card -- they are physically divided into two. I really don't think there was anything else implied by the word "Divided", such as the two Heroes being in disagreement.

To me that's like having a problem with "Villain" cards. How can a piece of cardboard have evil motives? ;-) (Admittedly, I'm making a super weak analogy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Holliday
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will not buy any expansions with Divided cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
It seems like the community is divided over these cards. I personally think they are awesome. They give you multiple options on how to play a card, which apparently some find to be confusing or paralysis causing. I also think they are quite thematic. To write it off as "gimmicky" is to really relate any other key word as gimmicky. While I agree that some other key words come back before this one *cough* artifacts *cough* I see nothing wrong with them sticking around.

Gimmicky would be the Avenger Pets, which I haven't seen many complaints around.

The Pet Avengers have me seriously considering streamlining things a bit by removing the New Recruits stack and just shuffling them into the Sidekicks stack and calling it all one stack.

Now, my issue with them sticking around is just how difficult some players have reading them, which is a valid complaint. That said, it would have been awesome if they were actually Pro-/Anti-Reg instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
Tommy3Count wrote:
jhochges wrote:

The Pet Avengers have me seriously considering streamlining things a bit by removing the New Recruits stack and just shuffling them into the Sidekicks stack and calling it all one stack.

Now, my issue with them sticking around is just how difficult some players have reading them, which is a valid complaint. That said, it would have been awesome if they were actually Pro-/Anti-Reg instead.

I've given the New Recruits the heave-ho, and use only the sidekicks with the pet avengers. I only play with basics from the Villain set if I play with Villains cards, which isn't too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Tommy3Count wrote:
jhochges wrote:

I've given the New Recruits the heave-ho, and use only the sidekicks with the pet avengers. I only play with basics from the Villain set if I play with Villains cards, which isn't too often.

I use randomizers for everything, so sometimes I'm using Hydras and sometimes I'm using SHIELDs. I find myself rarely using New Recruits unless a Scheme or a villains character who uses New Recruits was in play (which is why I was considering melding them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use New Recruits. Since you can recruit only 1 Sidekick by regular means, having them is useful, since you can buy more of them if nothing else is available that would be more useful. I find them particularly useful when playing against schemes whose winning condition is related to not depleting the hero deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I always use New Recruits. Since you can recruit only 1 Sidekick by regular means, having them is useful, since you can buy more of them if nothing else is available that would be more useful. I find them particularly useful when playing against schemes whose winning condition is related to not depleting the hero deck.

That's a good point, and one I hadn't put much thought into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like challenging games, but not having any option does not appeal to me. Furthermore, new recruits are not as powerful as Sidekicks (which I guess is the reason why you can recruit several of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
New Recruits are awesome. No idea why they're unpopular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People have expressed lately a lot of (unjustifiable, IMHO) hatred towards the Villains set. I guess this also has an impact on their appreciation of the new recruits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's nothing particularly villainous about them. I love the fact that there's no limit to them. Late game I always buy them, and now that the lousy pet avengers are clogging up the sidekick stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
People have expressed lately a lot of (unjustifiable, IMHO) hatred towards the Villains set. I guess this also has an impact on their appreciation of the new recruits.

I don't hate the Villains set. I'm not a huge fan of all of the card sets (I find myself rarely recruiting Green Goblin, for instance, and several of the cards are awkward or less useful in solo play), but I love others (Kraven and Doctor Octopus being two of my favorites).

I just found myself not recruiting New Recruits once Sidekicks came into the game.

(And given that I randomize, I exhibit no bias towards who I use when I play (whether solo or with a group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.