Hide
10 Posts

War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Treebeard is not a Companion for the Ent Faction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Urs Schaefer-Rolffs
msg tools
To make it clear, I will share the answer from this thread here in the Rules section:
Sargeras777 wrote:
USR2504 wrote:
Breothain wrote:
So a slight change, but one which preserves the feeling of the earlier version: Treebeard becomes a mobile Companion whenever the Ents become roused and engage in the War of the Ring.

The main one of these is that the Ents faction is instantly eliminated the moment that no Companion (or the Fellowship) is in Fangorn. This essentially means that to keep the Ents and their powerful combat abilities in play, you need to keep one of your Companions away from the action and in Fangorn. Since Treebeard counts as a Companion, recruiting him (now easier, and less costly, than in Lords of Middle-earth) frees up your forest-visiting Companion to spread the good word to the rest of Middle-earth.

Now we haven't seen all the Faction Event cards or Call To Battle cards for the Ents, and previously I thought that Treebeard might find further chances to shine through those cards. That's still possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if his main benefit is to help keep the Ents in play.

So there we have it - until we've got the game in our bark-free fingers, it looks like Treebeard's got a boost in usefulness by helping to keep the Ent faction in play (without needing to hold back one of the Fellowship's Companions), and is easier to get into play - but other than that, he seems to be the same Treebeard as he's always been. Which is a very Entish thing indeed.

Is it really the case that Treebeard counts as a Companion? Because the exact wording of Treebeard's Character Card, according to the rulebook is: Treebeard counts as a Companion for all Event and Combat Cards purposes if he is in Fangorn or a Rohan region. But the restricions for of the Ent faction is given on the Ent Reference Card, and not related to an Event or Combat Card.

So, I'd like to know whether Treebeard is a valid Companion for the Ent faction, or not?

Why don't you write to Ares Games? Maybe, if the print isn't out, they have still time to clarify that before a FAQ. Or clarify it in the rulebook anyway, for future reprints.

NO, Treebeard canNOT be used as a Companion to recruit and keep the Ent Faction in game. I asked Uthoroc at his German fan page, and he provided the answer from Roberto.

I suppose it is for thematic reasons, because Treebeard itself heself would not urge the Ents to fight; you need a real companion of the fellowship to persuade the Ents ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USR2504 wrote:
... because Treebeard itself ...

You can refer to Treebeard as a "he". The Entwives are lost, tragically, you see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see.

Then his usefulness is limited to having an "extra Ent" for deploying (since an Entish figure can now be used for lengthening further the Ent-line, with him being an Ent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treebeard is a Character, not a Faction figure, so he cannot be used for actions which require an Ent Faction figure. It would be like trying to use Boromir as a Gondor Army unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Treebeard is a Character, not a Faction figure, so he cannot be used for actions which require an Ent Faction figure. It would be like trying to use Boromir as a Gondor Army unit.

And how about the Witch-king of Angmar being counted as a Nazgul for all intents and purposes?
Your comparison may not be the best option, as the Faction Figures are AFAIK not Army Units.

If what you're saying and Treebeard doesn't count as an Ent figure, then that means this expansion has rendered Treebeard even less useful than he was before the release of Warriors of Middle-earth. This would also mean that his special ability to count as a Companion for playing Cards is virtually meaningless - since another Companion already has got to be in Fangorn in order to summon the Ents and maintain the Entmoot.

Also, let me remind what brings forth the Elimination of the Ents:
* Not having at least one Ent figure in Fangorn
* Not having at least one Companion in Fangorn

This means that Treebeard, the very leader of the Ents, isn't part of the Entmoot. So this brings us to having necessarily Treebeard, 1 Ent and 1 Companion in total in Fangorn.

This would mean that Treebeard's only real use is now the extra die in combat when defending in a Rohan region or in Fangorn. I guess something would change if some of the Ent-related cards (e.g. the Call of Battle) refer to Treebeard in specific, but considering that he in the first place came as a promo miniature, I think I am safe to say that this is highly unlikely.

So, I guess it's now easier to bring him into play then, but is also less useful himself. We should probably check with AG whether he at least counts as an Ent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
And how about the Witch-king of Angmar being counted as a Nazgul for all intents and purposes?

Apples and oranges. This equivalency is explicitly stated in the rules.

Sargeras777 wrote:
Your comparison may not be the best option, as the Faction Figures are AFAIK not Army Units.

It's true that they are not Army units, but they are also not Characters. Like an Army unit, a Faction figure represents a collection of individuals, where a Character represents only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then if it is so, like I said, Treebeard will be even more rarely used in games nowadays, literally only if you have got a Recruit Faction Die and really nothing good to do with it.

Maybe the Ent-related cards have got something, in case the Entish faction isn't yet in play / has been eliminated...(i.e. similar to his current use).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suppose his use is to 'replace' the Companion in Fangorn and assist with defense in Rohan.

While he has no leadership, he does provide an extra die (so generally better for defending a weak Rohan than a Hobbit who provides only 1 leadership, but not as good as Boromir, Gimli or Legolas who add a die but also have leadership). He can also allow you to trigger the Combat cards requiring a Companion.

Since he can be brought in with the Faction die, I think he will sometimes be useful. It will depend what else can be done with that die of course, but it's nice to have him as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh and just to clarify, none of the Ent Faction or Call to Battle cards mention Treebeard. I don't even think any of them required a companion (only glossed quickly to avoid spoiling too much since we didn't play with the expansion yet).

So he seems to operate independently from the Ents as a faction.

Still, nice to have available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Oh and just to clarify, none of the Ent Faction or Call to Battle cards mention Treebeard. I don't even think any of them required a companion (only glossed quickly to avoid spoiling too much since we didn't play with the expansion yet).

So he seems to operate independently from the Ents as a faction.

Still, nice to have available.

They had to have left us with that, at least.

The three Ent-attack cards were immensely powerful; may games were orientated across whether they had been played or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.