Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

Last night, my brother and I were finally able to try a game over OCTGN (ver 3.1.265.0)! Anyway, we had trouble using the automation features and I wonder if any of you have the same experiences?

I started this same thread over at CGDB, as that seems to be where most info WRT OCTGN resides. But as I'm a new forum member over there, my post seems to be in the ever-lasting approval process. Still, I have a feeling that one or two of you may have some valuable input.

I have no issues with installing or loading OCTGN and my deck, nor with playing the game. The issue is with how to actually use the automation features. We started our game armed with the guidebook, “AGOT 2.0 automatic processing guide book”, by fatelesscn, here: https://www.gitbook.com/book/fatelesscn/agotoctgnautobooken/....

The problem is that we didn’t find nor experience most of the automation features that are covered in the guidebook. Either we had to resort to manual gameplay implementation, or, after stumbling upon them, we used the many different layers of right click menus just to achieve some degree of automation. But still, the automation we did find was nowhere near the level of automation that the guidebook presents.

So did we miss something? Did we do something wrong? (For instance, after going through the automated setup process, we had to use the right-click menu to get the Plot Deck window to pop-up. There was no automatic pop-up as described in the guidebook. Was that our fault)? Or is there a known problem with the system? Or is the common recommendation just to stick to "Manual Mode"?

More: When we double-clicked the “Done” button, nothing happens other than getting the log message that so and so “is done”. And as an aside, we couldn’t figure out what the green “play” icons are for. (i.e., the green triangles). When I pressed the green “play” button next to my stats, my brother said that, on his end, my green “play” icon changed to a “pause” icon. But everything on my end remained unchanged.

Any comments are info would be appreciated!

Thx much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tebo
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had similar problems with the automation. I usually play a combination of manual and automation because it tends to not do everything perfectly, though I'm far from being an OCTGN expert. I tend to fumble through and pay extra close attention to things like power and gold to make sure those are being handled correctly. Everyone I've run across has some problems like this.

I've never seen that auto plot window pop up, always accessed that via right-clocking. But the automation does seem to be pretty good (not perfect) with things like attachments and duplicates.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck!
Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply! I also asked the same question over at CGDB and the reply I got there is that so many players were unhappy with the way the automation more often than not screwed things up, that they turned to "master automation" off. There are still some automation remnants remaining, which is what you're talking about.

So manual mode is the only official way to play AGoT on OCTGN. But like you, I still like to use some of the automation "remnants" to make things easier (such as playing your plot card, or executing the ability of a card, or counting your gold income, etc).

The only problem I've found so far - and I haven't been able to catch what causes it - is that sometimes I'll notice that my Power (won) total has been reset to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.