7,795 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hey!

I'm searching for a new board game to play with my dad (he's 56). So far I've played Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Marvel Legendary and Legendary Encounters (Aliens) with him.

He loves forbidden desert but found Legendary Encounters Aliens too complex for his liking (he was alright with Marvel Legendary).

He has expressed some interest in trying out Imperial Assault after seeing it on my shelf, but I'm afraid it might be too complicated for him.

I was wondering if you might be able to recommend some games, or a dungeon crawl game with miniatures (haa, he was fascinated by the Imperial Assault figures) that he can enjoy.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most important thing is to get a theme that he likes imo. Don't worry too much about the complexity. What is he into? History? Fantasy? Trains? Cars? Wars? Asia? etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I would say play whatever he's interested in, and try Imperial Assault! Interest goes a long way in making complicated games easier to learn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mb
Ghost Stories has miniatures, and it's a pretty straightforward cooperative game with minis for the monks and the ghosts. It's difficult to win, though.

The card illustrations are dark (both in the "color" sense and in the "monsters" sense) but they are really good. I'm trying to say the game catches your eye.

There are a couple of fiddly rules, but it's Co-Op. If he got Legendary, he should be fine here.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hey Zee,

He's pretty open on theme actually. I know he loves the visual aspect of Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert, which is why I'm searching for a game with nice chunky pieces/miniatures to play with him.

That's true Marina, although I'm just afraid the rules might annoy him. He was really interested in Legendary Aliens but got rather meh about the complexity a few turns in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it sounds like you want something with a strong theme, attractive components and light on rules.

Splendor theme is a bit weak, he might find that off putting but fits the other requirements.

Cyclades I love this game, it's fairly rules light, plays great and very attractive but it's more of a multiplayer than 2p game.

Blood Rage not played it myself so not sure about the weight of the rules, but visually it's very appealing.

Samurai again I've not played it but it's supposedly very light on rules with deep strategy and FFG recently released a new version of it with prettier components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Mansions of madness 2nd edition is very easy to get into, you can say that for an action you can move or interact with the app and then start playing from there, learn as you go.

Maybe Scythe? Or Pandemic Legacy?

Some easy games with chunky components I know: Jamaica, Isla Dorada, Takenoko, Scoville

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.