$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow!

we just did a 9 hour game against Yig, with 6 players, over 2 nights.

It was the longest game we have played in our club, having not yet had the danglers to try Twilight Imperium yet even though I've owned it for years.

Anyway, to give you an idea of the nail biting final couple of rounds, it went like this.

As I said, we were playing against Yig, we had 1 on the Doom Track and it was down to the wire, with like 1 character on 1 health and sanity.

We had 1 mythos card left and the Mystery was, something along the lines of, if we found an artifact then we could take a mask of something or over instead and then the charcter spend 6 clues to solve the last mystery and basically win the game.

We stacked all our eggs in one basket, giving all the clues to the soldier, who was kitted out with more guns than Charlton Heston and figuring the Expedition would have more chance of getting an artifact, we sent him there.

Oh no!!!cry despite being successful at the expedition, he didn't get an artifact, so the last mythos card was read and they got a clue or some such thing anyway we checked the rules and it said, when no more mythos cards can be drawn, the players lose, so since we had just drawn the last Mythos card we went into another turn.

Of course the position of the expedition had moved but one of the characters, had an ability to teleport someone somewhere, so we again moved the soldier to the expedition.

He failed one of the rolls and used his 2 focus tokens up and his reroll equipment and still failed. He had 7 clues and used 1 of these to reroll and he made it.

Chris read the Expedition card and.....We got an artifact OMG, we won!!!

High Fives all round...... but then...

reading the Mythos Card it said something like, the character can instead of taking an artifact card, they can take a specific mask artifact card and then if they discard 6 clues, at the end of the mythos phase solve this mystery.

Oh no there wasn't a mythos card to draw ....had we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory?

Our elation turned to conciliatory phrases like "well we came close and did our best, if only we had one more Mythos card we would have won"

However next morning Chris emailed me

"We won. There is no final mythos as we had met the win condition as stAted on the ancient one card"

so I'm not sure if we won or lost

TBH I aren't bothered,win or lose.

I'm a Euro gamer mainly but as an old D&D'er I love the story telling this game does.

But I'd love it if we had won but I have my doubts.

Maybe like the investigators in the Lovecraftian universe I shouldn't delve too deep for answers for fear of what I might find but if the news is bad and the answer is we lost, I can honestly say we had a blast losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You won.

It was addressed in the FAQ that if you can not draw a Mythos card and have solved all of the mysteries then you have won.

Congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the relevant part of the FAQ:

Quote:
In the Reference Guide, on page 12, the fourth bullet point under “Winning/Losing” should read as follows: “If a Mythos card cannot be drawn during the Mythos Phase, the Mythos Phase ends. Then, if investigators have not won the game, investigators lose the game.

The FAQ is here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e3/a5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
texan hick
msg tools
Some mysteries are just solved when you solve them, others state "resolve at the end of the mythos phase" if the final mystery didnt say "resolve after the mythos phase, you won. otherwise you lost.

What a friend of mine has done is he's made a series of custom mythos cards, that he draws one at random and places on the back of the mythos deck.

1 of them is just essentially "investigators lose the game" but all the others do everything..

Advance Omen, Reckoning, Spawn Gates, Spawn Clues, onster Surge

And then state "at the end of the mythos phase, place this card face down on the mythos deck.

So you just keep having EVERYTHING happen at the end of every round.

There are 6 of the 'DO EVERYTHING' cards, and 1 'YOU LOSE' card in the custom cards.

very rarely has a game gone on that long that we hit the end custom card. normally if we lose it's because of doom, or a rumor stating we lost..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texanhick20 wrote:
Some mysteries are just solved when you solve them, others state "resolve at the end of the mythos phase" if the final mystery didnt say "resolve after the mythos phase, you won. otherwise you lost.

I think you have that wrong. The FAQ is an errata so that that doesn't happen. It's basically saying that not being able to draw the last Mythos card can't stop you from winning if you have already completed the required number of Mysteries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.