Subject: Ball busting spike? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New debate that could use a ruling.

During a declared spike action, can an athlete with the "ballbuster" ability add the extra four dice to their brawling? Athletes use "star brawler" and "star evader" during spike actions so potentially adding other abilities is certainly possible. The debate is stated in the rulebook on page 33 of the Exhibition & League Rulebook, in the skill listings.

"BALLBUSTER: If you are carrying the ball, you get an extra +4 dice for a brawling test (this is in addition to the standard +1 die for attacking with the ball)."

The word "carrying" obviously refers to chop/carve attempts...but a spike action involves throwing not carrying. On the other hand, you cannot throw unless you are carrying the ball. We can see both sides of the argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had my rulebook in front of me but my gut instinct is that Ballbuster means you are hitting someone with the big metal ball instead of a shoulder check or forearm swipe so it would just apply to a chop/carve. That being said I haven't played with the advanced team rules so it is at best just a feeling.

The idea of a literal ball busting throw does conjure up some funny images of a Carnage butcher rolling around on the ground clutching the place where his bathing suit covers. Do giant orcs even wear bathing suits? I think that is the real question, what lifeguard is going to enforce that rule. I'm going down a dark path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that the primary users of the ballbuster for season one are very large and angry women just makes me giggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Ballbuster does indeed work for spikes.
Reason #1: It’s crunchy!
Reason #2: It makes spikes more likely. And spikes are crunchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#SpikesAreCrunchy , gotta get that trending! Lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dorsett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good question. I play valkyries all the time and that never occurred to me. Ive only ever used it for chops/carves.

That'd make Valkyrie slashers among the best 'spikers' in the game - throwing a whopping 18 dice against butchers - that's basically all the dice you get in the base game haha.

#spikesarecrunchy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.