Subject: Classifying the Epic Enemies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As you likely know, there is fair degree of variation in the power of the different Threat cards found in the individual decks. I quite enjoy this myself (and I love the Dark Stone Hydra being present in the Low, Medium and High decks) and I also appreciate the warnings FFP has included about the danger of their XXL Epic Threats to first level posses.

To me, it seems clear that the two Elite Threats, three Night Terrors, three Slashers, Goliath, Harbinger, Guardian and three Dark Stone Brutes are all among the lowest tier of Epic Threats.

The Burrower, Sand Kraken, Belial, Swamp Raptor, and, I believe, Flesh Stalker and Trederran Epic Threat cards, on the other hand, are on the higher tier.

These last four Epic Threats, however, I'm uncertain about, hence the reason for this posting. I'm curious as to the SoB community's opinion; would you classify each of these as one of the lower, one of the higher, or at a middle tier of Epic Threats: the Void Magus, the Serpentman Grand Shaman, Colonel Scafford and the Undead Gunslinger.

What do you guys say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike X
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Within my group, we refer to the tiers as mini-boss (Dark Stone Hydra), boss (Guardian, Harbinger, Goliath, Scafford, Grand Shaman, Void Magus, etc.), and raid boss (Burrower, Belial, etc.).

Note that my etceteras are to point out the other enemy types I don't own yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirative wrote:
Within my group, we refer to the tiers as mini-boss (Dark Stone Hydra), boss (Guardian, Harbinger, Goliath, Scafford, Grand Shaman, Void Magus, etc.), and raid boss (Burrower, Belial, etc.).

Note that my etceteras are to point out the other enemy types I don't own yet.

I more or less agree with the this, though I might just drop the hydra entirely. Though it's a larger mini, I think of it as a monster along the lines of slashers or night terrors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to have a rating system of some kind on the card. I've been trying to introduce new monsters slowly. It would be nice if I could work my way up to the more powerful ones.

I know that to some extent, whether something is powerful depends on the Heros (Void Hounds for instance being higher defense for higher initiative characters) but a good general star rating for difficulty would be nice. I don't think the threat cards do that very well at ALL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I am glad there is NOT a rating system on the cards. SOB is about the group, its adventures it has, and telling of the tales between adventures. Discovering the power of the threat cards is part of that mystery...

SOB has a great mix of easy to hard versions of all 4 colors of threat cards..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
Personally I am glad there is NOT a rating system on the cards. SOB is about the group, its adventures it has, and telling of the tales between adventures. Discovering the power of the threat cards is part of that mystery...

SOB has a great mix of easy to hard versions of all 4 colors of threat cards..

I agree with this.
I love it when you're doing well in a mission, and then *bam* something awful drops and kicks you in the teeth. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.