Brass Empire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Homebrew Gadget Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Ongchangco
United States
California
flag msg tools
I couldn't find anything on Gadgets in the main Rulebook, so my friends and I added a rule for them. Gadgets begin in the side deck, and once you aquire every card in your side deck, you also acquire your gadget. Once used, it goes back into the side deck. When you aquire a card from your cooperation from the Labor Market or Design Department, you re-aquire your gadget.

Try it out, and tell me what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenofireX wrote:
I couldn't find anything on Gadgets in the main Rulebook, so my friends and I added a rule for them. Gadgets begin in the side deck, and once you aquire every card in your side deck, you also acquire your gadget. Once used, it goes back into the side deck. When you aquire a card from your cooperation from the Labor Market or Design Department, you re-aquire your gadget.

The designer did list the official rules for the gadgets in this thread if you are curious on the official rules. I have not used them in any fashion yet, so I don't know how much your way differs from the official rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ongchangco
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks! I'll try it out both way and report my findings.

Edit: Okay, played 4 games today (2 one way, 2 the other) and I definitely like the recyclable Gadgets better. The gadgets really feel like the power play of the cooperation, and using it more than once feels great. Additionally they're quite strong, so having them come in a few turns into the game feels like it hits the right stage of the game (especially for Harlem and McGlynn). It also promotes playing to your theme by providung a bonus for buying cards that fit your faction (both from side deck to aquire the gadget and the board to re-aquire it).

On another note, I've actually felt that Omni-Edo and Windcraft don't really fit their theme. Damage is kind of Harlem Electric's thing. I'm playing with retuning their gadgets and when I feel more comfortable with the balance, I'll post them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These rules sound fun. I definitely want to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenofireX wrote:

To be honest, that does sound way more unique than a simple one time thing. I also like the fact that the reserve deck is more useful, as I feel that sometimes it's left depending how the game goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenofireX wrote:

Easy - I love it.

Thanks for such a straightforward but immersive houserule tweak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.