8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scythe - War game (house rule) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoang Tran
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone, I write this rule to make Scythe become a game of war more than Eurostyle. But I still need more your opinions to contribute a balanced and excited rules. (Sorry for my bad Eng)

First of all, in my opinion, Heroes and Mech are less powerful, Enlist are useless and were ignored in most of time. So that, I have some ideas to make the Minis become stronger.

1. Hero :
a/ Hero should not appear at the beginning of the game, each faction must Summon Hero by sacrify their resources exactly same as [Enlistments Bonus] on their Player Mat, and Summoning take 1 action.
b/ Only Hero can burn Power on Power Track to increase strength in combat
c/ Hero has 2 health unit, may take wound by Mech (see Mech Combat Card), can be eliminated from game but can be summoned again with Enlistment Bonus.
d/ Hero can not carry anything (resources, troop, worker...)
e/ Here may be summoned and appears at Faction Base, nowhere else.
f/ Only Hero may use as many moving point as player have. I mean from 1 to 3 moving point at one time.
g/ After lose in combat, but was not eliminated yet, then Hero must be retreated to adjacent Hex

2. Mech :
a/ Mech have their own Mech Combat Cards deck same as Combat cards deck of Kemet. Each card has different Attack, Defend, Kill number. Each faction have 6 Mech Combat Cards and one-time using in whole of game, but after you run out of Mech Combat Cards, you can re-use all of them again (mechanic same as Battle of Five Armies or GOT. 1 Mech can use only 1 Mech combat card in combat
b/ Kill element on Mech Combat Cards can eliminate enemy unit such as Hero, Mech, Troop.
c/ Mech has 2 health unit, may take wound by another Mech, can be eliminated then come back player's mat and wait for producing again later.
d/ Mech can carry only 2 workers and 2 resources
e/ After lose in combat, but was not eliminated yet, then Mech must be retreated to adjacent Hex

3. Army Troop (Recruit token) : Recruit token now may use as a troop of soldiers and put on game board
a/ Only troop can use Combat Card deck, 1 troop can use only 1 combat card
b/ Troop have 1 health unit, may be eliminated by Mech and then come back Player's Mat
c/ Troop can not carry anything, troop has moving ability as worker but not as Mech and Hero.
d/ After lose in combat, but was not eliminated yet, then Troop must be retreated to adjacent Hex.

4. Worker :
a/ when your worker stay in same Hex with another enemy, then
- Your workers may be killed, eliminated from game and come back your player'mat. Then the enemy was killed you will be decreased their Popularity number same as number of your killed workers. Only Mech can kill worker, cause of machine have no humanity.
- If the enemy choose peaceful, they wont kill your workers, but then your workers must be retreat to 1 Hex adjacent with counter-hex, and lost resources. Hero and troop can not kill worker, but they can push back worker to adjacent hex. Mech also may choose peaceful.
b/ Worker join no combat, you must resolve workers situation first when encounter.

Please contribute your opinions to make the combat of game more excited. And please help design the Mech Combat Cards deck base on Kemet combat cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you want Scythe to not be Scythe, basically.

I wish I could find more positives on the variant, but they seem to add extra cruft for the point of making Scythe into a detailed combat centric game, which Scythe is primarily not.

In fact, it's the streamlined nature of combat, and how to use it as a spice, not a meal, that provides quite a draw for the folks I've introduced it to.

But hey, maybe others will like it. Good luck in your efforts in any case.

** Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree. The game is not a war game. It takes place after a war but really this variant is not truly a variant to me. It is honestly a new game with Scythe pieces. Of course you are totally within your rights to do whatever you want with your toys. That is the beauty of it all. Good luck. I hope it goes well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
Enlist is very far from useless. Enlist your upgrade recruit early and watch your power increase with no further effort from your side. If you play with very agressive players, it may not be enough to give you the 16 power star, but often it is. Free popularity and money are also very useful. If nobody else wants to enlist, the enlist recruit will not do you much good, obviously, but otherwise those free combat card come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just simplify combat down to, both parties lose units. Units lost in battle go back onto the race board and you lose the ability that has been covered up. Scythe is a hybrid game that has been watered down to add many elements that, which make it feel too linear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
Just simplify combat down to, both parties lose units. Units lost in battle go back onto the race board and you lose the ability that has been covered up. Scythe is a hybrid game that has been watered down to add many elements that, which make it feel too linear.

Why put them back on the Faction Mat? Wouldn't that mean you're going to have to do more production, and therefore have fewer fights?

tyrellrwood wrote:
It is honestly a new game with Scythe pieces.

Yup, that sums it up perfectly.

You could even make it an old game with Scythe pieces if you want: just use Nexus Ops' rules & mechanics, replace the various resources with a single currency, call it Tiberium, and you're basically playing a Command & Conquer reskin of Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baohoang911 wrote:
Hi Everyone, I write this rule to make Scythe become a game of war more than Eurostyle. But I still need more your opinions to contribute a balanced and excited rules. (Sorry for my bad Eng)

First of all, in my opinion, Heroes and Mech are less powerful, Enlist are useless and were ignored in most of time. So that, I have some ideas to make the Minis become stronger.

1. Hero :
a/ Hero should not appear at the beginning of the game, each faction must Summon Hero by sacrify their resources exactly same as [Enlistments Bonus] on their Player Mat, and Summoning take 1 action.
b/ Only Hero can burn Power on Power Track to increase strength in combat
c/ Hero has 2 health unit, may take wound by Mech (see Mech Combat Card), can be eliminated from game but can be summoned again with Enlistment Bonus.
d/ Hero can not carry anything (resources, troop, worker...)
e/ Here may be summoned and appears at Faction Base, nowhere else.
f/ Only Hero may use as many moving point as player have. I mean from 1 to 3 moving point at one time.
g/ After lose in combat, but was not eliminated yet, then Hero must be retreated to adjacent Hex

2. Mech :
a/ Mech have their own Mech Combat Cards deck same as Combat cards deck of Kemet. Each card has different Attack, Defend, Kill number. Each faction have 6 Mech Combat Cards and one-time using in whole of game, but after you run out of Mech Combat Cards, you can re-use all of them again (mechanic same as Battle of Five Armies or GOT. 1 Mech can use only 1 Mech combat card in combat
b/ Kill element on Mech Combat Cards can eliminate enemy unit such as Hero, Mech, Troop.
c/ Mech has 2 health unit, may take wound by another Mech, can be eliminated then come back player's mat and wait for producing again later.
d/ Mech can carry only 2 workers and 2 resources
e/ After lose in combat, but was not eliminated yet, then Mech must be retreated to adjacent Hex

3. Army Troop (Recruit token) : Recruit token now may use as a troop of soldiers and put on game board
a/ Only troop can use Combat Card deck, 1 troop can use only 1 combat card
b/ Troop have 1 health unit, may be eliminated by Mech and then come back Player's Mat
c/ Troop can not carry anything, troop has moving ability as worker but not as Mech and Hero.
d/ After lose in combat, but was not eliminated yet, then Troop must be retreated to adjacent Hex.

4. Worker :
a/ when your worker stay in same Hex with another enemy, then
- Your workers may be killed, eliminated from game and come back your player'mat. Then the enemy was killed you will be decreased their Popularity number same as number of your killed workers. Only Mech can kill worker, cause of machine have no humanity.
- If the enemy choose peaceful, they wont kill your workers, but then your workers must be retreat to 1 Hex adjacent with counter-hex, and lost resources. Hero and troop can not kill worker, but they can push back worker to adjacent hex. Mech also may choose peaceful.
b/ Worker join no combat, you must resolve workers situation first when encounter.

Please contribute your opinions to make the combat of game more excited. And please help design the Mech Combat Cards deck base on Kemet combat cards.

Of course, now you're not playing Scythe! I love Scythe for all the reasons you evidently don't. No problem. To each his own But the game as published is exactly why I enjoy it - and IMO is why it is so popular. But, of course, you're free to make it into the game you'd rather play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
How is the enlist action anywhere close to useless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.