BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A quick, low weight card game with take that mechanisms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have lots of games and simply cannot get the wife to play any of them no matter how hard I try. Well, she's tried Love Letter & Carcassonne but she didn't like those. Recently though I bought Monopoly Deal to take on holiday & play with my son. Well my wife loves it & will actually ask to play it, & when she does she'll play multiple games in succession. Hallelujah!!

She seems to like it because it plays very quick, you don't have to spend along time thinking of what to do on your turn, & of course the meanness.

So my question is, is there anything else on the market that would grab her interest like Monopoly Deal (by the way, I love it too, much better than the board game)! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Star Realms ?

A light deck builder. The sole goal of the game is to kill your opponent as quick as possible.

EDIT: just thought of Babel. Constant face-slapping. It is an oldie though, don't know about availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Harv for the suggestions.

I have Star Realms & unfortunately she hates sci fi (she hasn't even seen Star Wars)!

Babel would be too complex I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walk the Plank! is fun and plays 3-5

Biblios isn't take that but might provide enough push your luck to generate interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back again !

How 'bout Catan Card Game.

It's a platform for lots of different playstyles, including "mean".
The rules are pretty straightforward as well.
I find this approximately 184532 times better than the boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes fantasy (and a little silly), maybe these could be worth a look?

Munchkin
Cutthroat Caverns

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
But if she does not like fantasy, you could consider Munchkin Booty (Pirates setting) or The Good, the Bad and the Munchkin (wild West setting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two basic, introductory, pre-made decks for Magic the Gathering might do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lost cities, and battle line or Schotten Totten. Note: Battle Line and Schotten Totten are the same game with different themes. I think Schotten Totten is more accessible. Of the three, lost cities is the most accessible.

You could also try stones of fate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For two people, I would also recommend Battle Line. It has become my wife's favorite game. She prefers playing without the special cards so we are essentially playing Schotten Totten.

Red7 is a fun game that plays quickly and is good for 2 to 4 players. I wouldn't call it a "mean" game, but you can constantly disrupt your opponent's plans through your play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Linko! should work. There's an official two player Duel variant, I don't like it, but many do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Ferguson
msg tools
Mine enjoys Star Realms, Dead Man's Draw, Lost Cities, Jaipur, Mr. Jack Pocket, Battleline, Fairy Tale, Sushi Go, patchwork, Indigo, Splendor and Qwixx. Though Battleline, Patchwork, Indigo and splendor will have longer play times, the action moves quickly and there isn't much downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Ferguson
msg tools
Also Fuse is a fun little Co-op that has a 10 min timer so it moves really fast too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions, there's certainly some classics in amongst them.

A few I know she definitely won't play (the longer ones, the non card game ones), but there's one or two that may hold her interest: possibly Red7 as she does like Uno actually!

I'll keep looking for the moment though, as none seem a perfect fit, but once again may I thank everyone for their help and advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't mention if you were limited to two players or not, so I'll throw in Red Dragon Inn which has tons of take that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Celestia. One of my coworkers looooves Monopoly Deal but Celestia is her favorite game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One of the most fun and foul take that games we play is GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck with those cute little gubs with pot bellies. Seemingly luck based but you got to work hard to counteract the bad luck. Wouldn't normally recommend it but both my mother and best friend (and my daughter) all really love this game lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Port Royal is well liked also. However, if you were looking for more low weight games with a board with take that mechanics that even non-gamers always love, then I would suggest Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and The Downfall of Pompeii - haven't found anyone who dislikes these two including my nan who hates board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels can have a mean streak. With the enconomic monopoly stick it to ya give Harbour a look . Great when you nick an action or mess the market up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:
Have you considered Star Realms ?

A light deck builder. The sole goal of the game is to kill your opponent as quick as possible.

EDIT: just thought of Babel. Constant face-slapping. It is an oldie though, don't know about availability.

These are marvellous recommendations. Seconded.

This might come out of left field a bit, but it is a wonderful, fun two-player game that should appeal to a great many people (assuming the theme is not a deal breaker):
Drako
I predict that, if she tried it, your wife would be surprised by how much she likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Karmaka. A soon to be found retail karma-theme race game with some take-that cards (the red ones) with he twist that when you play a card against an opponent, after resolving the effect, your opponent may take that card, so they could do the same thing to you in their future life. The goal of the game is to climb the karmic ladder by having enough deeds to reincarne into a better creature until you reach transcendance (victory). So it's a light weight card game that can be played fast and the theme may interest your wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivanhoe
Odin's Ravens (second edition)
For Sale
The Bottle Imp
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Sushi Go! (the only "take that" is in denying cards to others)
Cartagena (has a modular board but the game play is based more on card play)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Port royal - push your luck card game
Arboretum - hard to describe....the most "thinky" of these 4 games.
Hocus - texas hold em but each player has unique powers/rule changers
Diamonds - a little like hearts but quicker and more interaction. Can be played in teams of two or individual.

All card games that play in about 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kern
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would recommend Sky Tango. Turns are very quick because there are only a few options and the art is gorgeous. The take-that in this game is on the lighter side but you can still mess with your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got This Name In A Math Trade
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
+1 to For Sale

Quick, simple auction game that can get a little heated.

And hey, its a real estate theme, similar to Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.