Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! I thought that it would be fun to rank all of the heroes in the base Kickstarter version of The Others. I did not buy any of the optional add-ons, so this will cover only the 18 heroes included with the Kickstarter pledge. I may add the additional heroes later as I acquire them.

Let's start with the Leaders.

Calavera:
Fight: 3
Skill: 3
Defense: 1
At the start of your turn, you may raise or lower ANY hero's Corruption by 1.

I love this guy. Corruption management is key to the hero game in The Others, and he lets you exert some modicum of control over it. You can use his ability at least twice per round, which is excellent. He's got solid stats for Fight and Skill rolls although you'll want to pick up at least one piece of defensive equipment early on to bolster his low defense value of 1. He's a 10/10.

Freder
Fight: 4
Skill: 2
Other heroes in the same Space as you gain +1 counter-corruption in Fights.

Meh. Of the three leaders included, I feel like Freder has the worst ability. He does have a fight value of 4 though, which means that you can pretty much play him as a Bruiser and mostly ignore his ability and still do okay. 6/10

Leah
At the start of your first turn each round, give ANY hero an Extra Turn token.

Extra turns win games for heroes. She gets to use her ability maybe once or twice in a game, because Leaders have big fat targets on their heads for the Sins player. Extra Turns can also be plentiful depending on which districts are in play. However. Leah is also the only core game Leader who is also a Ranged fighter so she can play the role of a team Shooter as needed as well, keeping the streets clear of monsters. She's a solid 7/10

Now on to the Fixers!

Will
Fight: 2
When you roll 2 or more Skill results to Cleanse an Area, you may gain an Extra Action token.

Lame. Poor Fight, average Skill, not a great ability. The worst Fixer in the core box. 3/10

Rose
Skill: 4
At the end of your turn, you may choose one Acolyte or Abomination anywhere on the board and teleport it one Space away.

Rose is great at what she does. Fixers are your control and support group and she excels. Above average Skill stat, so she's going to cleanse like a pro. Her ability is golden. She can pop monsters out of buildings so her Shooter pals can pop them, or use her ability to move monsters out of spaces with heroes who want to move without taking wounds or getting into fights. She's great. 8/10

Karl
Fight: Human - 2, Wolf - 4
Skill: Human - 4, Wolf - 0
Defense: Human - 1, Wolf - 2
At the start of your turn, you can switch to Human/Wolf form. As a Human, you gain +1 counter-corruption to all your Fight rolls. As a Wolf, you may move an additional space.

Karl rocks! He's a bruiser and a Fixer when you need a best in class for either role. In Wolf form he can bust heads with the best of them, while in Human form he's got above average Skill for cleansing spaces. 10/10

Rosario
You take 2 less Wounds or Corruption from Fire and Corruption tokens.

If you need a hero whose sole purpose in the game is to go and cleanse spaces, Rosario is the best. She can walk into those terrible areas that the Sins player has loaded up with fire and corruption and basically ignore the rolls. Give her a Hazmat Suit and she's all but impervious. The player controlling her won't get a lot of glory, but she'll be your MVP when it comes to clearing the way for her teammates. 8/10.

Adrian
Skill: 4
At the end of your turn, you may Mark a street space (Max 3 street Spaces). Monsters in Marked street Spaces get -1 Defense.

Adrian is great. He cna hold his own in a fight, cleanse with the best of them, and he assists his Shooter buddies in keeping the streets clean. I love the combo of Adrian and Rocco; Adrian marks a street space with an Abomination and Rocco auto-kills it. Having Rose around to pop Aboms out of buildings and into Adrian's marked spaces for Rocco is even better. 9/10

Baldur
At the end of every fight you start, you may immediately choose and equip a new Upgrade card.

Huh. His stats aren't great. He wants to go and start fights but he isn't likely to kill much of anything. But he does get free upgrades which is cool, and he can potentially be used as a sacrifice hero to gear up an incoming hero. I think that his ability is really situational based on the upgrades available. If he can survive a few fights he might be in a position to be great, or he might be the first to die. 6/10

Shooters!

PHD
Skill: 1
Defense: 0
You gain +3 Defense when the Sins player Starts a Fight against you.

The ultimate monster lure. He can ranged attack against a Space with a couple of monsters, hopefully destroy one and then weather the counter-attack with the bonus defense and, if his intitial attack roll was good enough, laugh off the counter-attack and kill another monster. He's not going to lead any charges and hope to live, but as a street cleaner he's a good solid pick.

[EDIT] So my initial read of PHD's ability was incorrect - it won't work against monsters reacting to his ranged attacks, since it's all part of a Fight that he started. Which makes him worse than I thought, since he won't have any base defense at all against monsters who survive his ranged attacks. He'll need to take sure kill shots or hide behind spaces with other heroes so surviving monsters can't reach him to retaliate. He's still pretty solid against monster attacks during the Sins player's reactions, though, since 3 defense is high for a Shooter. 6/10

Rocco
Defense: 2
Gain +2 Hits whenever you star a Ranged Fight.

Rocco is the king of ranged combat. He needs only one hit on his dice roll to kill an Abomination, and he auto-kills Acolytes. He's best used as a rearguard to keep the streets clear of monsters. He can reliably be counted on to get a couple of kills per round. Not a lot of glory in playing Rocco but you'll probably survive the whole game and you'll help clear movement lanes for the other heroes. 8/10

Nicole
Whenever you take 1 or more Wounds, you may destroy an Acolyte in your Space.

Shooters want to stay away from same-space fights. Acolytes are cheap and easily killed. Her ability is situational - the Sins player would be better served in sending his Acolytes to attack other heroes who might not auto-kill them after a Fight. Her stats are average or below. 4/10

Brad
At the end of your turn, you may destroy one Acolyte or Abomination in your Space. Then take 1 Corruption and place 1 Fire token in that Space.

Move into a space with an Acolyte or Abomination, make a ranged attack against another Space, and then destroy the monster in your Space automatically. Pretty cool ability, somewhat situational since the Sins player will move Monsters off of the street to avoid his ability. His stats aren't super great. 7/10

Polly
After you kill at least one Monster in a Ranged Fight, you may take 1 Wound to gain an Extra Turn token.

Average stats, gets free extra turns when she kills something, but you need to have Acolytes in the streets to giver her a good shot at activating her ability. 7/10

BRUISERS!

Kanga
Fight: 5
Skill: 0
Defense: 0
You can move 5 Spaces each turn.

Kanga is your clean up Bruiser, pure and simple. She moves fast and hits hard and does absolutely nothing else. When you need a hail mary play to kill the Avatar and win the game, accept no substitute. Alternatively, you can use her from the start of the game to win early Fights and clear out some monsters, but her lack of defense means she'll get killed pretty quickly. 7/10

Elle
Once per Fight, you may cancel the results of all rolls. Both you and the Sins player must roll again.

Average stats and low defense. Situational ability that might work against you. On the plus side she is a Bruiser who can effectively act as a Fixer if necessary, since her Skill stat is good. The worst pure Bruiser, though. 6/10

Thorley
Fight: 4
Defense: 3
When another friendly Hero in your Space gets in a Fight, Thorley may cancel 1 Wound to that Hero.

The man. The Legend. Thorley is the best core game Bruiser, hands down. He can dish out a beating, and he can absorb damage. He even helps his buddies in the same space when they Fight. Give him Regeneration and an Ice Blade and he is the Sins player's worst nightmare. 10/10

Morgana
Heal 1 of your Wounds at the end of your turn.

With Regeneration, Morgana can be incredibly hard to kill. Give her an Ice Blade or another +1 Die upgrade and she's a very reliable fighter who can stick around for a long time. 9/10

Okay, there you have it. My personal ratings for all of the base pledge level heroes in The Others. Hopefully this is useful to you. If you agree/disagree with anything here I'd love to read your comments below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atul Deshpande
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
That's a good summary. I agree with most of what you said.

I had a question about Rosario's natural ability though:

Is her ability counted for an entire turnor for each move from one space to another, or for each corruption/fire dice roll. If we assume the latter, she is nearly impervious to corruption and fire checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as she ignores 2 damage and 2 corruption in every instance where she enters or exits a space containing those tokens. It is very powerful but it's tempered by her average stats. Three dice to cleanse is no guarantee that you'll end up with even one Skill result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atul Deshpande
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I slightly disagree, in the best case, my interpretation of her ability is that she ignores a total of 2 fire/corruption. So let's say the sin lucked out and scored 4 fire hits and 2 corruption during the check rolls for one space, she could ignore any two ill effects, not 2 of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good summary.

I think you misunderstand PHD though. His ability only works when a monster attacks you. If the monster is attacking from being targeted via a ranged attack it's still a fight started by the hero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
rrrrupp wrote:
Good summary.

I think you misunderstand PHD though. His ability only works when a monster attacks you. If the monster is attacking from being targeted via a ranged attack it's still a fight started by the hero

I think he means a counter-attack from the Sin reaction, which is not a fight started by the hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Baldur is a bit underrated in your list. If I'm playing with him I have him go first and go for an acolyte. It's nice pairing him with Leah because the sin player will have to focus one down. If Leah is focused, Baldur is gaining upgrade cards like crazy. If Baldur is focused, Leah keeps generating extra turns. Usually I'll keep giving Baldur those extra turn tokens so that he can keep fighting acolytes and getting upgrades.

EDIT: Not a great idea to pick Baldur against Gluttony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:
Good summary.

I think he means a counter-attack from the Sin reaction, which is not a fight started by the hero.

No, I was actually thinking that PHD's ability would kick in against monsters reacting to his ranged attacks, but a re-read of the rules shows that I was wrong in this thinking - since it's all part of the Fight started by PHD, he wouldn't get the bonus defense. This actually makes him a bit worse than I thought, so I will go back and edit his entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.